PDA

View Full Version : Open message to the mods

Oviedo
12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
As is now clear, the Trib has finally done themselves in and has been permanantly shut down. What that means for this board is that WE are now at a critical point in our evolution. Many posters are now looking for a home and many will be the same posters who represent everything we hated when we left the Trib and moved this board. Just some of my thoughts:

1. A good board is about quality not quantity. Quality posters sustains a board and quantity drafs it down.
2. People can say whatever they want but they can't say it wherever they want. This board needs to just say no to posters with a record of just using the board to bash everything and everyone associated with the Steelers. This is a fan board.
3. A successful board has standards and eliminates posters who sole function is to be controversial, bait other posters or repeat their same prejudicial positions over and over again whether relevant to a topic.

I sum I think most posters here don't want the Planet to become the free for all romper room that the Trib became. Please be vigilant and hold the line. There are other options for those who just want to bash, psture and continually made idiots of themselves. This site should not be one of their options.

mr.pittsburgh
12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I agree, people like tomiesteel08, who many were banned on that board for need to leave. They brign nothing to the site and are only trying to troll around. You are right on the money man.

RKSteel
12-04-2008, 04:13 PM
BUMP

MeetJoeGreene
12-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Did the trib really, literally shut down?

As for posters coming here..... Everything should be spelled out in the TOS. And if people agree to it, then they can be banned for violating it.

There are only a few posters (other than trolls) that I would (if I had a vote) inherently reject coming here. All of those that are slightly misbehave or are just plain funny, I would give another chance.

steelnavy
12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Just moved here from the Trib and couldn't agree more. :Boobs <- No relevance to the conversation, just liked the icon!

BTW, does this mean no more Kaopectate and his eye rolls anymore?

SteelTorch
12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Just moved here from the Trib and couldn't agree more. :Boobs <- No relevance to the conversation, just liked the icon!

BTW, does this mean no more Kaopectate and his eye rolls anymore?
No more kao, but then again, he wasn't going to show his face after the Patsies lost. :Boobs

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Bump. :Agree

Look, this isn't the public marketplace. We are not obligated to take any and all points of view, or members.

"Tomlinsux" - the name of a new poster.

Some other new poster razzing him about his balls, and I don't mean footballs.

That crap has started already. If mods or phansle doesn't put a stop to it really really soon, I will find something else to do. Life is too short to put up with crap like was on the trib board.

Ozey74
12-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Why is the Trib site shut down?

Starlifter
12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
i'll say it plain. if you hadn't registered here prior to October then you had no interest in this board. I think there should be a halt to new registrations for the time being. let the trolls and roaches just pass on by as they look for other boards to infiltrate......

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
i'll say it plain. if you hadn't registered here prior to October then you had no interest in this board. I think there should be a halt to new registrations for the time being. let the trolls and roaches just pass on by as they look for other boards to infiltrate......

Bump - no registrations here allowed after yesterday, at least for an indefinite period of time.

Geez, I know how the Amish feel now ...

mr.pittsburgh
12-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Well obviously I am not an "old" member on this board. I joined a few days ago before pittlive shut down. I was banned from there, but would read this site very often. A lot of us are not trolls. We all had over 600 posts on the trib and tried to talk as much football as we could until tomie started to infiltrate the board with idiotic posts. A lot of us are not "roaches" or "trolls". We are here to talk steeler football and that is what we are going to do. You will be able to tell who the trolls are in the first few days tht they are here.

SteelTorch
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
:Agree

tommiesteel, Steeler Shades, Tomlinsucks...that's 3 trolls already who have made their way here. We definitely don't need that trash around here. It's not as if this is a publicly-run board, anyway. Let them find a home somewhere more "hospitable."

Starlifter
12-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Well obviously I am not an "old" member on this board. I joined a few days ago before pittlive shut down. I was banned from there, but would read this site very often. A lot of us are not trolls. We all had over 600 posts on the trib and tried to talk as much football as we could until tomie started to infiltrate the board with idiotic posts. A lot of us are not "roaches" or "trolls". We are here to talk steeler football and that is what we are going to do. You will be able to tell who the trolls are in the first few days tht they are here.

I'm not suggesting everyone at the Trib board is a troll or roach, I was registered there myself. My point is to protect this board for the next few days. Fans that are truly interested in discussing steeler football are always welcome. As for what was going on at the Trib, I have no idea. I bailed at the beginning of the year and haven't looked back.

mr.pittsburgh
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM

I'm not suggesting everyone at the Trib board is a troll or roach, I was registered there myself. My point is to protect this board for the next few days. Fans that are truly interested in discussing steeler football are always welcome. As for what was going on at the Trib, I have no idea. I bailed at the beginning of the year and haven't looked back.

yeah, that site was going well all the way up til this year. It became infested with trolls and posters who didn't know anything about football and would post to piss off others. It became a freaking soap opera over there.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I joined the trib forum in 2002, made some friends and then Crash and Perogi_Pete took the board over with their constant woman :Boobs like screeching. After SB XL the Trib board got worse and worse. I am glad it's gone.

This site is much like the Trib used to be, the premise of this thread is sound and should not be taken lightly. Forums are built and destroyed by the content and environment fostered in their creation. Please Planet Steelers do for us what we the unempowered cannot.

:tt1 :Beer

NC Steeler Fan
12-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Well, as for myself, and I'm sure a few other female posters, readers, etc.
on here who have really come to appreciate this place, I just hope some
of the transplants realize this isn't a T&A free-for-all like some of the other
boards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no prude and can roll with the best of
good jokes and gender wise-cracking.

But, if that starts up here, I swear I'll finally figure out how to post pics and
you guys will have to tolerate all the bodacious MALE eye candy I can dig up.

What's good for the goose....

Oviedo
12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
As correctly said, if you weren't willingly here before today don't come here out of desperation because you were thrown out of your house. Quality not quantity.

Shawn
12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I 100% agree Oviedo. I am only one link in the admin chain but the quick banning of trolls has my full support. I will speak to the other mods and I have a PM out to J. Unless, J says Shawn...hey I love trolls...then PS has never and will never tolerate trolling. Isn't that the reason we left the Trib in the first place?

Shawn
12-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Well it seems that John wants the trolls to stay...sorry about the false alarm there Oveido.

buckeyehoppy
12-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Well it seems that John wants the trolls to stay...sorry about the false alarm there Oveido.

If that's the case, then the "add foe" option in the members area is the friend of us all. You click on, let's say, "tomiesteel". Then, you click on "add foe". Once you've done that, "tomiesteel" magically disappears.

Everybody needs to be educated on the "add foe" option here to make this a much more pleasant place.

buckeyehoppy
12-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Add a thought: if I have hit "add foe" on a foe poster, how come I can still read his/her post when he/she is quoted?

Mods, is there a way to block the quote as well?

If there isn't, then Rule #1 of the PlanetSteelers Discussion Board is: Never...Ever...Quote a troll!!!

I've broken this rule one time today, but not anymore. We now know that this board isn't completely troll proof if you have taken the necessary precautions.

So, to review:

1- Choose "Add Foe" to eliminate trolls.
2- Never...Ever...quote a troll. And...
3- If someone does quote a troll, PM them and explain why quoting trolls is a bad idea.

If we remember these simple steps. PlanetSteelers will be a great place to be.

Shawn
12-05-2008, 06:49 AM

If that's the case, then the "add foe" option in the members area is the friend of us all. You click on, let's say, "tomiesteel". Then, you click on "add foe". Once you've done that, "tomiesteel" magically disappears.

Everybody needs to be educated on the "add foe" option here to make this a much more pleasant place.

Agreed...but I don't have the luxury to do so. I have to actually read and moderate his nonsense until he gets banned. Which shouldn't be long.

Shawn
12-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Add a thought: if I have hit "add foe" on a foe poster, how come I can still read his/her post when he/she is quoted?

If there isn't, then Rule #1 of the PlanetSteelers Discussion Board is: Never...Ever...Quote a troll!!!

I've broken this rule one time today, but not anymore. We now know that this board isn't completely troll proof if you have taken the necessary precautions.

So, to review:

3- If someone does quote a troll, PM them and explain why quoting trolls is a bad idea.

Agreed...it is poor form to ever quote a known troll. It's disrespectful to those who have him on mute.

Oviedo
12-05-2008, 08:54 AM

So, to review:

Self discipline. Just don't in any discussion the trolls initiate or respond to anything they say.

stlrz d
12-05-2008, 08:57 AM

So, to review:

Self discipline. Just don't in any discussion the trolls initiate or respond to anything they say.

Way too late for that.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391)

phillyesq
12-05-2008, 09:49 AM
IMO, there is nothing wrong with a fan from another team that wants to get into a discussion about an upcoming game. As long as the discussion is football related, respectful, etc., why not? See how the Steelers are viewed by true football fans of other teams.

Somebody like Kaowhatever, just around to stir up trouble, no thanks. But, IMO, a little lively discussion should enhance the board.

NC Steeler Fan
12-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I have no problem with fans of othert teams posting on here, so long
as it isn't just derogatory smack that they bring day in and day out.

In fact, I really like reading that bungles fan: Jom2112 I think it is?

He/she is a very knowledgeable, even-keeled poster and I'd hate for
them to be chastised for no reason.

Just MHO...

Iron Shiek
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I have no problem with fans of othert teams posting on here, so long
as it isn't just derogatory smack that they bring day in and day out.

In fact, I really like reading that bungles fan: Jom2112 I think it is?

He/she is a very knowledgeable, even-keeled poster and I'd hate for
them to be chastised for no reason.

Just MHO...

Jom is good people for a bungle fan 8) :) ...and I like when Hardliner (chiefs fan) chimes in...very knowledgable peoples!

Rickt011
12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
:Agree

tommiesteel, Steeler Shades, Tomlinsucks...that's 3 trolls already who have made their way here. We definitely don't need that trash around here. It's not as if this is a publicly-run board, anyway. Let them find a home somewhere more "hospitable."

Dude Steeler Shades is no troll. I've known him for years, and he's a fan. He may not fit your average type fan, but he is a Steeler fan! Cut him some slack, heck if ya need to slam someone, slam the cowboys.

Steeler Shades
12-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Dude Steeler Shades is no troll. I've known him for years, and he's a fan. He may not fit your average type fan, but he is a Steeler fan! Cut him some slack, heck if ya need to slam someone, slam the cowboys.
Thank you for the kind words of support Rick. The influx of new posters is bound to concern those that have posted here since its inception and it will be up to each of us to convince them by our football contributions that those concerns are baseless. Will they agree with all or even most of our opinions? Perhaps not. But if those opinions are expressed logically and in accordance with the TOS of this site they should at least appreciate that diversity of thought and ideas enhances more than it distracts from this online community.

BTW - I've been registered since May 13 and am listed as member #40. I may actually be one of the senior members of this board. 8)

Djfan
12-07-2008, 01:25 AM
I count those mods I know to be mods, as friends. In this light I offer this thought:

The reason that these threads keep popping up about the influx of refugees is that we posters care passionately about this board! It is valuable to us and we love it!

I hope it is received in this light.

Carry on.