PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts versus the Cowboys

Oviedo
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Yet another very tough game. The Cowboys are a very good team. My biggest concern is our ability to pressure Romo. The Dallas OL is huge and both Woodley and Harrison rely primarily on bullrush moves. It will be difficult to be successful against the Dallas OTs using this technique. That may force more blitzes from ILBs or DBs which plays right into Dallas' hands with Witten and their receivers.

This will be a very close game likely decided by a FG.

Iron Shiek
12-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Witten scares the crap out of me. That guy is a great TE and can do some damage.

Discipline of Steel
12-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Witten scares the crap out of me. That guy is a great TE and can do some damage.

Timmons and Polamalu. TEs are no longer the bane of our existance. We are the bane of theirs.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Yet another very tough game. The Cowboys are a very good team. My biggest concern is our ability to pressure Romo. The Dallas OL is huge and both Woodley and Harrison rely primarily on bullrush moves. It will be difficult to be successful against the Dallas OTs using this technique. That may force more blitzes from ILBs or DBs which plays right into Dallas' hands with Witten and their receivers.

You don't get 26 combined sacks with only bull rush moves, though.

Although Adams and Columbo are both big fellas (listed at 6'7" 340 and 6'8" 318), they were arguing this morning on Sirius NFL Radio that Harrison and Woodley are stronger than those behemoths.

Sugar
12-03-2008, 01:19 PM
The Steelers and Cowboys are both tough teams that are in a similar position- if healthy and in a playing groove they are probably the best teams in their respective conferences.

I'm sure the Giants and Titans would disagree, but I'm just sayin'...

SteelerNation1
12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Ov,
Good points. I dont necessarily think we need to sack Romo, just make him uncomfortable. Pressure is the key, not sacks. Plus, Keep an eye on Barber and Witten out of the backfield.

Starlifter
12-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I disagree that Harrison bull-rushes (although on occasion he does against a back). He is incredibly strong but it appears to me that he takes advantage of his small size. I think if he's 6 feet, that's being generous. what I notice is how low he gets and 'swims' under the tackles whom these days are usually all 6'6" or taller. It seems like they can't get low enough to block him effectively.

but what the hell do i know. i sit on my couch and analyze...... :tt2

stlrz d
12-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I disagree that Harrison bull-rushes (although on occasion he does against a back). He is incredibly strong but it appears to me that he takes advantage of his small size. I think if he's 6 feet, that's being generous. what I notice is how low he gets and 'swims' under the tackles whom these days are usually all 6'6" or taller. It seems like they can't get low enough to block him effectively.

but what the hell do i know. i sit on my couch and analyze...... :tt2

You're right. Harrison has even says he uses his "lack of height" to his advantage on tall OTs.

MeetJoeGreene
12-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I think we are going to need a big special team play to pull this one out. I would like to see Holmes take a punt to the house. Or Pacman fumble.

I think their O is going to be VERY tough to contain as much as the NE O. I am predicting they score at least 17 on O.

So the key is for Ben not to give them any more in short fields or pic 6.

I think we can score 17 on them as well.

So whomever gets the big special team play or turnover will win.

papillon
12-03-2008, 04:42 PM

I think Harrison's rushing technique is a combination of bull-rush and speed to the outside. He uses his stature (being strong and only 6' tall) to his advantage by getting leverage on the big tackles. This is why it looks like he's always being held; he gets under their arm to the outside and they have no choice but to try and contain him by using their arm to keep him from getting to the quarterback.

Keeping Romo contained in the pocket will be important as well. I don't want to see him outside the pocket looking to make a play or run with the ball.

Pappy

AngryAsian
12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
This one I'll be happy to eat crow on.... I'm not scared. These guys racked up some momentum wins against the NFC West "powerhouses" of SF and Seattle? Wade Phillips won't be able to prepare this team for what's coming. Our defense will protect our house and we'll be able to pressure Romo. This is the one game I have no angst going into. If we lose, I won't post for 2 weeks. Call me out on it.

pittpete
12-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Get the pressure on Loverboy and the int's will be plentiful.

steelblood
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Thoughts 27
Cowboys 23