PDA

View Full Version : Leaf - the movie

Djfan
12-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Man. This is proof positive that they don't get it in Hollywood.

How many of you are going to see the angst played out on the big screen of a 22 year old who "got the keys to the kingdom."

You can bet in So Cal this will be a bust.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Man. This is proof positive that they don't get it in Hollywood.

How many of you are going to see the angst played out on the big screen of a 22 year old who "got the keys to the kingdom."

You can bet in So Cal this will be a bust.

Dude is offering free screenings of the movie in the San Diego area. He said that he had a redemption ending to the movie that he now has to re-shoot, since Leaf was recently fired from his college coaching gig after trying to score pain pills from his players. A true American hero, that one. :roll:

rpmpit
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Is this serious?? They're making a movie about Ryan Leaf??

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Yup. Seriously.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3738697

Coming to a theater near you? Actor makes film about Ryan Leaf

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 2, 2008, 2:06 PM ET

While Chargers fans might want to forget Ryan Leaf, his story is now the subject of a feature film.
We all have times in our lives we'd like to forget. But for San Diego Chargers fans who show up at the San Diego Library on Wednesday night, the Ryan Leaf era can be relived on the big screen -- for free.

"Leaf," an 82-minute film about the former Chargers quarterback -- a "can't-miss" prospect whose short NFL career turned into a disaster -- will be shown at a free screening on Wednesday night at the San Diego Library.

"I insisted it be free for all the Chargers fans because it's their story," writer and director Tim Carr said, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I was like, 'Chargers fans have been through enough -- let them have this.'"

Carr, who plays Leaf in the film, appeared in "Rocky Balboa" and has written and directed two other films. He said he was interested in making a sports movie in the style of Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives" -- a documentary within a movie -- but "didn't want to do a 'Rudy'-type movie," according to the report.

"I put myself in the San Diego fans' spot so many times because I'm a huge sports fan and I love my team like San Diego loves their team," said Carr, a die-hard Philadelphia Eagles fan, according to the report. "I think when they see it, they might get on me for maybe taking it easy on him, although I assure you I didn't -- we throw everything in -- but the way we kind of left it was so people can kind of make their mind up: Maybe he redeemed himself; maybe he moved beyond this.

"For me, it is [redemptive]," Carr said, according to the report. "Here's a guy who kind of tried to make it right, but just could never get it right. But I want to leave it up to the fans."

However, Carr won't be at the screening, the newspaper reported. He'll be busy re-editing the ending to incorporate Leaf's resignation last month from his job as an assistant coach at West Texas A&M. "That kills my redemption ending," he said.

Last month, ESPN's Joe Schad reported that according to a person briefed on the situation, Leaf acknowledged he had asked a West Texas A&M player for a pill to help him deal with lingering pain from an injury Leaf had sustained during his NFL playing days.

Carr said what drew him to Leaf's story was the fact he was born just 10 days after Leaf in 1976, the newspaper reported.

"So I started to think, what would I do if I was in that situation?" Carr said, according to the report. "When he came out [for the NFL draft] he was 22, and when I was 22 I was a knucklehead, big time. So you've got to think, if I was a knucklehead and I had the keys to the kingdom, what would I do?

"Looking back, now that I'm 32, I can say, 'Well, I would have done this and this and this.' But that's a 32-year-old man talking about what I would do 10 years ago. You start to think about that and that's sort of what got me in that direction," Carr said, according to the report. "I was inspired [to] maybe tell that story like 'Husbands and Wives' but through the eyes and ears of fans and writers and players."

Leaf does not appear in the film. Carr said he had a couple of phone conversations with Leaf about the movie and was hoping he would agree to a cameo appearance, but explained that their talks "got progressively less cordial," according to the report.

ghettoscott
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923771/

rpmpit
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Yup. Seriously.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3738697

Coming to a theater near you? Actor makes film about Ryan Leaf

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 2, 2008, 2:06 PM ET

While Chargers fans might want to forget Ryan Leaf, his story is now the subject of a feature film.
We all have times in our lives we'd like to forget. But for San Diego Chargers fans who show up at the San Diego Library on Wednesday night, the Ryan Leaf era can be relived on the big screen -- for free.

"Leaf," an 82-minute film about the former Chargers quarterback -- a "can't-miss" prospect whose short NFL career turned into a disaster -- will be shown at a free screening on Wednesday night at the San Diego Library.

"I insisted it be free for all the Chargers fans because it's their story," writer and director Tim Carr said, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I was like, 'Chargers fans have been through enough -- let them have this.'"

Carr, who plays Leaf in the film, appeared in "Rocky Balboa" and has written and directed two other films. He said he was interested in making a sports movie in the style of Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives" -- a documentary within a movie -- but "didn't want to do a 'Rudy'-type movie," according to the report.

"I put myself in the San Diego fans' spot so many times because I'm a huge sports fan and I love my team like San Diego loves their team," said Carr, a die-hard Philadelphia Eagles fan, according to the report. "I think when they see it, they might get on me for maybe taking it easy on him, although I assure you I didn't -- we throw everything in -- but the way we kind of left it was so people can kind of make their mind up: Maybe he redeemed himself; maybe he moved beyond this.

"For me, it is [redemptive]," Carr said, according to the report. "Here's a guy who kind of tried to make it right, but just could never get it right. But I want to leave it up to the fans."

However, Carr won't be at the screening, the newspaper reported. He'll be busy re-editing the ending to incorporate Leaf's resignation last month from his job as an assistant coach at West Texas A&M. "That kills my redemption ending," he said.

Last month, ESPN's Joe Schad reported that according to a person briefed on the situation, Leaf acknowledged he had asked a West Texas A&M player for a pill to help him deal with lingering pain from an injury Leaf had sustained during his NFL playing days.

Carr said what drew him to Leaf's story was the fact he was born just 10 days after Leaf in 1976, the newspaper reported.

"So I started to think, what would I do if I was in that situation?" Carr said, according to the report. "When he came out [for the NFL draft] he was 22, and when I was 22 I was a knucklehead, big time. So you've got to think, if I was a knucklehead and I had the keys to the kingdom, what would I do?

"Looking back, now that I'm 32, I can say, 'Well, I would have done this and this and this.' But that's a 32-year-old man talking about what I would do 10 years ago. You start to think about that and that's sort of what got me in that direction," Carr said, according to the report. "I was inspired [to] maybe tell that story like 'Husbands and Wives' but through the eyes and ears of fans and writers and players."

Leaf does not appear in the film. Carr said he had a couple of phone conversations with Leaf about the movie and was hoping he would agree to a cameo appearance, but explained that their talks "got progressively less cordial," according to the report.

Wow, what a waste of time. It said this guy Carr was in Rocky Balboa. I looked up his pic. He played one of Robert's (Rocky's son) friends. He's the one that says, "Baby Rocky" at the bar. Doosh :lol:

rpmpit
12-03-2008, 11:17 AM

The guy playing Trent Dilfer has the word anal in his name. Coincidence???

Kieran McAnally ... Trent Dilfer

ghettoscott
12-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Wow, what a waste of time. It said this guy Carr was in Rocky Balboa. I looked up his pic. He played one of Robert's (Rocky's son) friends. He's the one that says, "Baby Rocky" at the bar. Doosh :lol:

It looks like he is the writer AND director as well...super doosh. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM

The guy playing Trent Dilfer has the word anal in his name. Coincidence???

Kieran McAnally ... Trent Dilfer

Now I wanna see this piece of crap. Just to see the guys they casted to play Dilfer, Seau, Rodney Harrison, and Jerry Jones. :lol:

buckeyehoppy
12-04-2008, 12:17 AM
OMFG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

buckeyehoppy
12-04-2008, 12:22 AM
OK, I guess I've calmed down enough to register a response to this...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...oops...guess not...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...OK, that's better.

You've gotta be kidding me? A movie about RYAN LEAF?

JFC! Why didn't this guy do a movie about tomiesteel? He's just as big a :loser and he could have saved himself thousands in production costs.

stlrz d
12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't know that it warrants a movie, but by all accounts this guy has really grown up and turned himself around. I give him props for that.

Although I didn't care for him much at all as a poster on the trib board!

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Don't know that it warrants a movie, but by all accounts this guy has really grown up and turned himself around. I give him props for that.

Although I didn't care for him much at all as a poster on the trib board!

No he hasn't. He lost his job about a month ago because he tried to score prescription pain pills from one of his players. :loser

After taking leave of absence, Leaf resigns as West Texas A&M assistant
ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 7, 2008, 1:44 PM ET

CANYON, Texas -- West Texas A&M quarterback coach Ryan Leaf has resigned, the school announced Thursday.

Ryan Leaf was in his third season as quarterbacks coach at Division II West Texas A&M.
Leaf, who also served as the school's men's golf coach, has been on a leave of absence for personal reasons.

A person briefed on the situation said that Leaf acknowledged he had asked a West Texas A&M player for a pill to help him deal with lingering pain from an injury Leaf had sustained during his NFL playing days, ESPN's Joe Schad reported Wednesday.

"Coach Leaf offered his resignation this morning, which I accepted," WTAMU athletic director Michael McBroom said. "He does not want his personal issues to become a distraction to the players that he has coached for the past three seasons.

"I wish Ryan all the success in the world. He's been a part of our family for the past three years and it's always hard to lose a member of your family. But we will move on and so will Ryan Leaf."

Police said Friday they have not charged nor interviewed Leaf and said it is unclear if a crime has been committed.

"We haven't confronted him about the allegations," Canyon police Chief Bobby Griffin said Friday. "We still have to interview people."

Offensive coordinator Scott Parr will coach the quarterbacks for the remainder of the season.

Jimmy Jameson, former WTAMU golfer and the husband of women's golf coach Meredith Jameson, will become the interim men's golf coach. A national search will be conducted next spring for a permanent replacement.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

stlrz d
12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
RB - I forgot about that.

I guess he was on the right path.