PDA

View Full Version : Steelers clinch a playoff spot if...

SteelerNation1
12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
(KFFL) NFL.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with a win against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 14 plus a Miami Dolphins loss and a New England Patriots loss. The Steelers can also clinch with a win plus a Dolphins tie, a Patriots loss and a New York Jets loss.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
(KFFL) NFL.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with a win against the Dallas Cowboys in Week 14 plus a Miami Dolphins loss and a New England Patriots loss. The Steelers can also clinch with a win plus a Dolphins tie, a Patriots loss and a New York Jets loss.

New England is at Seattle (2-10 and crushed by Dallas last week) and Miami is at Buffalo (6-6 and embarrassed by San Francisco last week) so the odds don't look good for this week, but it is always a breath of fresh air when you starting talking about playoff clinching scenarios when the season is only three-quarters of the way done!!! :Beer

buckeyehoppy
12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
If the Steelers win the next two games they win the division because that will put them two up on the Rattards with two left and they'll have the tie-breaker.

The next two games are the most important of the year, period!

Iron Shiek
12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
If the Steelers win the next two games they win the division because that will put them two up on the Rattards with two left and they'll have the tie-breaker.

Yeah! Screw hoping for other teams. Lets just wrap it up ourselves! 8)

I get what the original post was about though...that would be great to just be able to breathe a little thanks to other teams' ineptness.

buckeyehoppy
12-03-2008, 12:58 AM

Yeah! Screw hoping for other teams. Lets just wrap it up ourselves! 8)

I get what the original post was about though...that would be great to just be able to breathe a little thanks to other teams' ineptness.

Well, it would be nice if the Steelers did it this Sunday while I was in town. But I'm not going to hold my breath. It would be just as sweet to get the playoff nod by knocking off the Rattards on their home pitch.

ohblahitsme
12-03-2008, 01:24 AM

I didn't know there were ties in the NFL :P

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM

I didn't know there were ties in the NFL :P

Ben thinks that about 50% of the posters on this board did not know that there were ties in the NFL
(at least since Mike Nolan was fired by the Niners) :wink:

http://hauteconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/573-article-image.jpg

Discipline of Steel
12-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Steelers clinch a playoff spot if...they crush Dallass, they crush the stupid Raventhugs, then they crush Tennessee, and finally, they crush the hapless Browneyes.

SteelerNation1
12-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Steelers clinch a playoff spot if...they crush Dallass, they crush the stupid Raventhugs, then they crush Tennessee, and finally, they crush the hapless Browneyes.
:Agree I like scenario best! :Cheers

Sugar
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
So, what would be a big game with what are now the AFC's top teams could be rendered almost meaningless if the Steelers and Titans have both secured their playoff berths by the time they play in Nashville, right?

If both teams win up until then, will the Titans have home field throughout or would our game determine that?

Iron Shiek
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Either way, Jeff Fisher has already proclaimed that he will not be "benching" players if they have wrapped things up...even up to the very last game. Granted he will likely take a delicate approach to players that are nicked up, but from what I heard on radio, he is not resting players.

Sugar
12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Either way, Jeff Fisher has already proclaimed that he will not be "benching" players if they have wrapped things up...even up to the very last game. Granted he will likely take a delicate approach to players that are nicked up, but from what I heard on radio, he is not resting players.

I'm curious to find out what Coach Tomlin's philosophy will be if he is in a similar situation. Will he rest the starters more or will he play as if they were normal games to foster the game by game mentality?

Iron Shiek
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm curious to find out what Coach Tomlin's philosophy will be if he is in a similar situation. Will he rest the starters more or will he play as if they were normal games to foster the game by game mentality?

As injured as we have been this year, I'd hate to say this, but I say play! You saw it last year with some teams that rested players lookin rusty (Colts i think) whereas Giants and Pats played it out in the final week and went on to get a rematch in the Super Bowl. You take players out of routine when you rest them and it could affect their play when they come back. PLAY!

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 02:32 PM
So, what would be a big game with what are now the AFC's top teams could be rendered almost meaningless if the Steelers and Titans have both secured their playoff berths by the time they play in Nashville, right?

If both teams win up until then, will the Titans have home field throughout or would our game determine that?

If we win our next two games against the Cowboys and the Raven, we clinch the division. However, home field would still yet to be determined.

Even if the Titans beat the Browns and Texans the next two weeks as expected, we would still be alive for home field throughout with wins over Dallas and Baltimore. A win over the Titans would not clinch it, because we would still need to if we beat Cleveland in the last game and the Titans would need to lose to the Colts in Indy in week 17 in order for us to get home field throughout .

Basically, in order to get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, we need to win out and have Tennessee lose another game in addition to losing to us.

papillon
12-03-2008, 04:19 PM

If the Steelers win out the Titans can't wrap up home field advantage until they play the Jags on the last day of the season and they will have to win the game. The Steelers would be 13-3 and the Titans would be 13-2 with that game to play. If they win and go 14-2 they get home field, if they lose and go 13-3 the Steelers get home field based on head-to-head competition.

Just win em all and let the chips fall where they may. :Boobs :Cheers

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2008, 04:26 PM

If the Steelers win out the Titans can't wrap up home field advantage until they play the Jags on the last day of the season and they will have to win the game. The Steelers would be 13-3 and the Titans would be 13-2 with that game to play. If they win and go 14-2 they get home field, if they lose and go 13-3 the Steelers get home field based on head-to-head competition.

Just win em all and let the chips fall where they may. :Boobs :Cheers

Pappy

Actually, the Titans are playing the Colts in Indy in their last game (it is Baltimore that is playing the Jags in their last game)...but the rest of what you say is

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EpgilfAAL._SL160_.jpg

buckeyehoppy
12-04-2008, 12:41 AM

If we win our next two games against the Cowboys and the Raven, we clinch the division. However, home field would still yet to be determined.

Even if the Titans beat the Browns and Texans the next two weeks as expected, we would still be alive for home field throughout with wins over Dallas and Baltimore. A win over the Titans would not clinch it, because we would still need to if we beat Cleveland in the last game and the Titans would need to lose to the Colts in Indy in week 17 in order for us to get home field throughout .

Basically, in order to get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, we need to win out and have Tennessee lose another game in addition to losing to us.

Exactly right. I did say the same thing in another thread, but it bears repeating.

I think it's completely realistic to expect the Steelers to win out, even if it's going to be hard as hell. And the Titans winning in both Houston and Indy is hardly a slam dunk.

If the Steelers run the table, the chips can fall where they may. But, I feel that will be enough to get them HFA throughout the playoffs.