PDA

View Full Version : Another Fullback Thread

Jooser
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Well here goes. I know this is about another team, but in a way it reflects directly on us as well. We all know the success that Ladanian Tomlinson has had. This year he has struggled. Why? The team gave up his monster blocker, Lorenzo Neal. I think that this has directly affected LT in a negative manner.

And so here we are. Up until last night, we were struggling in the running game too. No decent FB to lead and open holes for our backs. I think we need to bring someone in who is a force lead blocking. I bet LT wishes he had his back too. Thoughts? :idea:

SteelTorch
12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Well here goes. I know this is about another team, but in a way it reflects directly on us as well. We all know the success that Ladanian Tomlinson has had. This year he has struggled. Why? The team gave up his monster blocker, Lorenzo Neal. I think that this has directly affected LT in a negative manner.

And so here we are. Up until last night, we were struggling in the running game too. No decent FB to lead and open holes for our backs. I think we need to bring someone in who is a force lead blocking. I bet LT wishes he had his back too. Thoughts? :idea:
I agree that with our poor O-line, we are really missing a FB. Davis is NOT the answer.

We'd do well to look for one in the FA or leave that roll for McHugh.

Jom112
12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Losing a center, a guard (Although Kemo has looked pretty good run blocking) and a FB, is going to hurt the running game. One of those at least was preventable.

Also maybe it's just me, but when I watch Steeler games it appears that Willie Parker has had the most success in short yardage situations. Davis hasn't looked all that impressive, so if he isn't the greatest blocker and he can't get the job done in short yardage someone made a mistake in keeping him over Kreider. I haven't caught as many games as you guys, so I could be wrong on this...

SteelTorch
12-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Losing a center, a guard (Although Kemo has looked pretty good run blocking) and a FB, is going to hurt the running game. One of those at least was preventable.

Also maybe it's just me, but when I watch Steeler games it appears that Willie Parker has had the most success in short yardage situations. Davis hasn't looked all that impressive, so if he isn't the greatest blocker and he can't get the job done in short yardage someone made a mistake in keeping him over Kreider. I haven't caught as many games as you guys, so I could be wrong on this...
It's not the Steeler way to cut someone after one season unless they REALLY screw things up (a la Mahan). Kreider however was getting old and I guess they cut him for that (and maybe salary reasons). I don't see Davis being our FB after this season, though.

(edited post for clarity)

stlrz d
12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
I get disgusted every time I see the Packers with TWO fullbacks in the backfield in front of their tailback...and we have none. :oops:

I also agree with RB that the empty backfield needs to go. At least make them think you might run by having a guy back there.

Jooser
12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
We're at the bottom of the league in short yardage situations for a reason. There's no run blocking out of the backfield and yes, we don't have a large third down/goal line back. Russell is as close to that as we get, but I think a decent blocking FB helps us out alot........... :?

Oviedo
12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
This off season I make a trade with Seattle for Owen Schmitt. He isn't playing much there and the team will likely be blown up and starting from scratch. Wouldn't cost more than a 5th rounder. Schmitt would be a perfect fit for the Steelers.

MeetJoeGreene
12-02-2008, 09:01 AM
My three least favorite words are now officially "Single Back Set"

Discipline of Steel
12-02-2008, 09:32 AM
We're at the bottom of the league in short yardage situations for a reason. There's no run blocking out of the backfield and yes, we don't have a large third down/goal line back. Russell is as close to that as we get, but I think a decent blocking FB helps us out alot........... :?

I must say that it was Carey Davis who led Gary Russell through the hole on the TD and took out a LB at the point of attack. So he was effective on that play but I would still like to see a more traditional FB instead of a hybrid blocker/pass catcher/runner that is not too good at anything. We dont need any of his mediocre skills next year with Parker, Moore, Mendenhall, and Russell around.

rpmpit
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Don't you guys remember FWP pleading for Kreider to get his starting job back last year?? For some reason, Tomlin wanted Kreider gone. I don't know.

But whether its Kreider or whoever, we definitely need an upgrade at the fb position.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2008, 10:00 AM

I prefer single back to empty backfield, but since I am getting a reputation as the 5 wide hater, I will stop...

http://3alleypub.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

:lol:

papillon
12-02-2008, 10:57 AM

My least three favorite words are "Is it in?" :Boobs followed closely by "Single back set" and my two least favorite words are "empty backfield"

Everytime during the patriots game I would moan when the backfield was empty or emptied pre-snap and my wife would ask me, "Why all the groaning?" I responded "Nothing good happnes when we don't have a back in the backfield with Ben."

Pappy

Oviedo
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I get disgusted every time I see the Packers with TWO fullbacks in the backfield in front of their tailback...and we have none. :oops:

I also agree with RB that the empty backfield needs to go. At least make them think you might run by having a guy back there.

Have you noticed the Packers record. Two FBs don't seem to help them at all. Ryan Grant isn't exactly burning up the league.

I'm all for getting a better FB than Davis, but it can't just be a Guard in the backfield. Any FB needs to be able to run and catch too like a Mike Alstott or don't bother and just keep putting McHugh back there. He is better than Davis anyway.

ikestops85
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
All I know is it's going to come back and bite us in the arse that we can't get 1 yard on the ground when we need to. It really makes me sick when it's 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 and we line up in the spread and I know it's because we have little chance of running for the 1st down. :(

On the up side is it my imagination or has the pass blocking improved significantly the last few games. I don't know if that's because of the competition or the line is getting it's act together. Either way I think it's helping Ben return to the Ben of old and that is a good thing. :D

Oviedo
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
All I know is it's going to come back and bite us in the arse that we can't get 1 yard on the ground when we need to. It really makes me sick when it's 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 and we line up in the spread and I know it's because we have little chance of running for the 1st down. :(

On the up side is it my imagination or has the pass blocking improved significantly the last few games. I don't know if that's because of the competition or the line is getting it's act together. Either way I think it's helping Ben return to the Ben of old and that is a good thing. :D

Ben has been throwing many more 1 and 3 step drop passes getting rid of the ball much faster as we have known he should do. His one sack on Sunday was a 7 step drop. He can't be sacked if he gets rid of the ball quickly. Hopefully he embraces that more and more.

stlrz d
12-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Have you noticed the Packers record. Two FBs don't seem to help them at all. Ryan Grant isn't exactly burning up the league.

I'm all for getting a better FB than Davis, but it can't just be a Guard in the backfield. Any FB needs to be able to run and catch too like a Mike Alstott or don't bother and just keep putting McHugh back there. He is better than Davis anyway.

They only use it in short yardage and goal line situations.

I was simply expressing my FB envy. :oops:

Oviedo
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3lj8jovc]I get disgusted every time I see the Packers with TWO fullbacks in the backfield in front of their tailback...and we have none. :oops:

They only use it in short yardage and goal line situations.

I was simply expressing my FB envy. :oops:[/quote:3lj8jovc]

Understand, but my problem with Kreider is while he was a great blocker he offered nothing else. He was embarassingly clumsy trying to turn his body and catch a ball and extremely limited running.

I actually like the TE/FB concept which is why I was so high (and still am) on Owen Schmitt. The guy has all the tools like Mike Alstott did: Excellent blocker, good receiver and powerful runner. That is what we need not just a one dimensional FB who is a great blocker. If that is all you (not you personally) want put Kemo back there.

Also don't forget that the legend of Dan Kreider was made blocking for a once in a decade RB and future HoFer named Jerome Bettis who was so powerful he gets yards even if Kreider couldn't block.