PDA

View Full Version : Lolly's thoughts on the game

costanza2k1
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Monday, December 01, 2008
Post-New England thoughts
OK, so maybe the Steelers can run the football.

They just need to stick with it as they did Sunday in the rain. Of course it took them a half to figure that out.

After dropping back to pass 19 times in the first half - with 14 runs - the Steelers had Ben Roethlisberger drop back 14 times in the second half, with 20 runs.

As Willie Parker told me after the victory, that's Steelers football.

Those 20 second-half carries netted 121 yards as Parker ripped off a 31-yard run and Mewelde Moore had a 20-yard carry.

The two alternated possessions, wearing the Patriots down.

Parker told me after the game he didn't know that was the plan going into the game, but was OK with it since he's still not 100 percent. He certainly looked good Sunday.

Some credit has to go to the offensive line, which allowed just one sack in addition to opening holes for 161 yards on the ground.

And that sack came on a corner blitz that, had Roethlisberger picked up a second earlier, would have gone for a nice gain to Nate Washington, who was standing in the flat by himself after the blitz.

That was a vicious hit Ryan Clark put on Wes Welker and he's probably going to draw a fine. But it was a hit that needed to be made.

Clark left his feet on the play, otherwise it would have been perfectly legal. Brutal, but legal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: James Harrison is the best defensive player in the NFL.

That was an All-Pro left tackle he was beating like a red-headed stepchild Sunday in Matt Light.

I think Light is overrated - always have - but his resume says he should be able to handle Harrison. He couldn't.

The Steelers special teams coverage teams are outstanding and make up for some return problems - though that phase is starting to come around as well.

Don't be too hard on Lawrence Timmons for running out of gas on his 89-yard interception return.

Remember, he started in the middle of the field, sprinted into the flat to pick off the pass intended for Kevin Faulk and kept on sprinting until he got to about the New England 20, where he slowed down.

He probably ran about 110 yards on the entire return after running around for an entire game.

Timmons had a blitz earlier in the game where he came from the outside and crushed Matt Cassel just after he released the ball. Cassel gave Timmons a look like, "what the hell was that?" Timmons hit him hard.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:18 AM

phillyesq
12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for posting Costanza. Lolley always has something worthwhile to say.

AngryAsian
12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm hoping our OC can finally see the logic and subsequent dividends reaped when employing a multiple back system, alternating as needed and infusing short pass plays to those backs. Opposing D's can't contend with this. It set the deep ball up very nicely. I think we win our next four once we keep doing this.

pittpete
12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm hoping our OC can finally see the logic and subsequent dividends reaped when employing a multiple back system, alternating as needed and infusing short pass plays to those backs

Amen to that brother

Djfan
12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Amen to your whole post A.

DukieBoy
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Kudos to the Offensive Line. I am looking at the stats. Their line studs, Wilfork has 3 tackles plus 2 assists, and Seymour had only 1 tackle and 1 assist and .5 sack for which he really did not deserve credit IMO.

To play Wilfork to about a draw in the center of the line is a win, and to virtually neutralize Seymour is a big win on the o-line. Their backers made alot of tackles but back off the LOS, such that we averaged over 5 ypc.

And only 1 sack against us, on a corner blitz into an empty backfield (Ben might have missed a hot read, but the Cheats disguised it very well).

So, credit to the offensive line for an excellent game.