PDA

View Full Version : Give Colbert and Tomlin some credit

Oviedo
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
With the 2008 season 3/4 of the way over it is time to give Colbert and Tomlin some credit. Tomlin has proven to be an effective leader. You may not like his laid back style (I think it is a breath of fresh air) but the guy two seasons in a row has gotten the job done. He is only going to get better.

Colbert gets ripped for lots of things, but look at yesterday's game. From his 2007 draft: Woodley is a beast; Timmons is what many of us have been saying a star in the making; Gay steps in and the team doesn't miss a beat; UDFA's Stapleton and Russell doing the job. Keep in mind that 2007 was the first post Cowher draft. I'll continue to dsay that Cowher was calling the shots up until 2007 and the problems were his for the misses not Colbert's. I think the 2008 class will prove to be solid too.

Time to give credit where credit is due.

papillon
12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
I started a thread about this a month or so ago, because, of all the "bust" talk, o-line, d-line, etc., etc. It's as of Steeler fans haven't been paying attention over the past 20 years. Typically, the Steelers are successful and that means that you have some pretty good football players in place already. This affords the Steelers the opportunity to draft rookies looking two to 4 years down the road and not in the here and now.

The teams that draft rookies and immediately insert them into their lineup are, typically, the perennial losers. they don't have the lusury of teaching the "intern" how to do the job before they put him on the front lines. That's why you'll see a lot of those players never make a mark in the league. They are asked to be the savior without ever having been taught what has to be done. They learn on the job.

Next year Sweed will step in and start making catches and everyone will be wondering what "clicked" all of a sudden. Can you say experience without having to be the "go to" guy? I expect Mundy, Hills and Davis to be effective next year as well. They may not, but, my brain tells me they'll be better than average at some point in time.

Colbert is a professional GM and while he makes mistakes from time to time, he's done an outstanding job in my opinion.

Tomlin has been nothing but great up to this point. Mistakes? absoultely Did he learn from these mistakes? Absolutely You can't ask for anything more. The way he treated Ryan Clark after the big hit and penalty yesterday was proof that the players like him. He's fair, tough and has integrity.

The Steelers are set in the FO for long time. I hope. :2c :Beer

Pappy

Oviedo
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
You hit the nail on the head Pap. It never ceases to amaze me how fans want instant gratification out of draft picks. A 21 year old steps up to the highest level of competition in the world in his sport and he is suppose to be a star imediately or he is a "bust."

I'll take Colbert and Tomlin over 99% of the NFL right now without one regret.