PDA

View Full Version : Defense fact I didn't know

Oviedo
12-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I heard on Mike and Mike this morning that the Steelers defense has not given up a 300 yard total offense game to an opponent all season--12 games. The NFL record is 14 games (14 game season).

Le Beau has this defense playing lights out. I'm glad he read this board in the off season and took my advice to let Troy play defensive back and not DL. :wink: The result: 6 INTs just like I predicted. When Troy does blitz it is actually now a surprise and is more effective.

stlrz d
12-01-2008, 09:13 AM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3302 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3302)

:D :D :D

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I knew that it was that way through 11 - but I didn't see the final box score from yesterday....... I hope the streak is still alive next week as we will need another big Defensive outing to keep the Cryboys under wraps.

Discipline of Steel
12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Stlrz D pointed out in another thread that the number is 267. Still on target...

Iron Shiek
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I heard another interesting defensive fact on the radio today. Not to laud the Ratbirds and their murderer LB, but their 2000 defense let up less points against (165) the whole season than our defense has let up through 12 games (170). That is insane.

That same year, Titans defense was pretty solid as well. Gave up 191 points on the year. Their average YPG allowed was 238, which is what our 2008 Steelers are allowing currently. You have to go back to 1991 to find a lower figure (I stopped at 1989...I was sick of clicking and waiting). But the Philly D allowed an astounding 221 YPG. So our D is historically stacking up nicely.

EDIT: Okay, I kept going. Once you get to the mid 70's or so, the leader was almost always under the 238 we are posting...but when looking at the offensive yards per game, they are vastly different eras as we all know and the numbers bear that out.

SteelerNation1
12-01-2008, 01:07 PM
I heard another interesting defensive fact on the radio today. Not to laud the Ratbirds and their murderer LB, but their 2000 defense let up less points against (165) the whole season than our defense has let up through 12 games (170). That is insane.

That same year, Titans defense was pretty solid as well. Gave up 191 points on the year. Their average YPG allowed was 238, which is what our 2008 Steelers are allowing currently. You have to go back to 1991 to find a lower figure (I stopped at 1989...I was sick of clicking and waiting). But the Philly D allowed an astounding 221 YPG. So our D is historically stacking up nicely.

EDIT: Okay, I kept going. Once you get to the mid 70's or so, the leader was almost always under the 238 we are posting...but when looking at the offensive yards per game, they are vastly different eras as we all know and the numbers bear that out.
Great stats...this D is by far the BEST I have ever seen. Better than 04, 01, 95, 94. If we keep causing TO's we wont lose.

buckeyehoppy
12-02-2008, 05:22 AM
The Steelers D is legend. Don't believe it? The #s don't lie.

Also keep in mind that EVERY QB who has faced the Steelers D for the first time this season has $hit the bed. The Cowqueens are coming to town with Tony H*m* at the helm, yet another first-timer against the Steelers D.

The Steelers have four games left in the RS and they will be getting first-time QBs in two of those games, assuming the Clowns stay w/Dorsey if they can't sign someone who can supplant him.

Flasteel
12-02-2008, 08:02 AM

That's why you need to look at yards per play. We're obviously still number one, but as of last week, we had the lowest yardage allowed per play since 1978.