PDA

View Full Version : Dierdorf said Ben calls his own plays in the huddle...

pittpete
11-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Anyone catch that?
Did he say Ben calls 50% of the plays?

stlrz d
11-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Ben said this himself quite awhile ago. He calls his own plays in the no huddle.

pittpete
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Nope, Dierdorff said he calls a lot of the plays, no huddle and regular..

Ozey74
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
How many times did Dierdorf lisp when he said this?

:lol:

stlrz d
11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Nope, Dierdorff said he calls a lot of the plays, no huddle and regular..

Are you sure?

Here's how I thought I heard it: DD was talking about Ben calling his own plays in the no huddle and then he continued to talk about it without adding the no huddle part to it thinking people would assume he was still talking about the no huddle.

I could be wrong, but I swear that's how I heard it.

Djfan
11-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I thought that he said that Ben calls most of his own plays, too, and not just in the no-huddle. Then he said that most QBs would love to have this system!

pittpete
11-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Pretty sure I heard he calls the plays.
I was aware of the no huddle playcalls.
Of course I could be wrong, like I told my brother after the Patriot TD that the game was over.
Dam wish I tivo'd the game..

stlrz d
11-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Did anyone record the game? RB?

kennyes
12-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I thought that he said that Ben calls most of his own plays, too, and not just in the no-huddle. Then he said that most QBs would love to have this system!

That's what I got too. I did tape the game but not watching it til tomorrow.

Oviedo
12-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I heard him saw calls most of the plays all the time which is not unusal given that any QB has the ability to audible out of any call at the LOS once he reads the defense. I think that is what he was referring to. Most of the plays that are run have been ultimately selected by Ben because of audibles.

So much for all the Arians hate.

stlrz d
12-01-2008, 08:59 AM

That's what I got too. I did tape the game but not watching it til tomorrow.

Please post once you do...if I heard incorrectly I'd really like to know.

I'll be paying especially close attention during the NFL replay on Tuesday.

MeetJoeGreene
12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I heard him saw calls most of the plays all the time which is not unusal given that any QB has the ability to audible out of any call at the LOS once he reads the defense. I think that is what he was referring to. Most of the plays that are run have been ultimately selected by Ben because of audibles.

So much for all the Arians hate.

:nono
:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2008, 11:35 AM

Nope...didn't record it (I was able to rewind during commercials because I was watching with a DVR, but it was not saved for posterity). However, I heard somewhere that it may be one of the games that are replayed during the week on NFL Network (usually, they pick the close games and not the blow-out, though, but they still may pick this one because it was a match-up of 2 marquee teams with playoff implications). Check your local listings. :P

stlrz d
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM

Nope...didn't record it (I was able to rewind during commercials because I was watching with a DVR, but it was not saved for posterity). However, I heard somewhere that it may be one of the games that are replayed during the week on NFL Network (usually, they pick the close games and not the blow-out, though, but they still may pick this one because it was a match-up of 2 marquee teams with playoff implications). Check your local listings. :P

I'm pretty sure in my glee last night I started a thread on that. :D

Jooser
12-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I was talking about this in the Chat room on the Strong board. I did record the game and went back and reviewed it. Dierdork paraphrased BB as saying that he calls about 50% of the plays in regular situations. In fact, he said BB will go 3 or 4 plays in a row without even hearing any SUGGESTIONS from BA. Ben calls almost all of the plays in the no huddle.

Guys, this could be growing pains. I really don't know what to say. Tomlin said coming into camp this year that they were trying to give BB more say in the play calling during the game. He audibles alot, and yada yada, that's not exactly play calling. Thoughts?

stlrz d
12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
I was talking about this in the Chat room on the Strong board. I did record the game and went back and reviewed it. Dierdork paraphrased BB as saying that he calls about 50% of the plays in regular situations. In fact, he said BB will go 3 or 4 plays in a row without even hearing any SUGGESTIONS from BA. Ben calls almost all of the plays in the no huddle.

Guys, this could be growing pains. I really don't know what to say. Tomlin said coming into camp this year that they were trying to give BB more say in the play calling during the game. He audibles alot, and yada yada, that's not exactly play calling. Thoughts?

Thanks for the update. I thought it was only in the no huddle and that's what I thought I heard Dierdorf talking about.

Jom112
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
In fact, he said BB will go 3 or 4 plays in a row without even hearing any SUGGESTIONS from BA. Ben calls almost all of the plays in the no huddle.

The no huddle part makes sense, the other part is really bad strategy if that is the case.

If I remember right even Peyton gets two plays or three plays (At least one run and one pass) from Tom Moore then at the line Peyton decides which one to call based on the defensive alignment. For BA not to give any suggestions in non no huddle situations (At times) is a stupid strategy...

SteelTorch
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
For BA not to give any suggestions in non no huddle situations (At times) is a stupid strategy...
If you knew Arians, you'd think otherwise. :roll:

Jooser
12-01-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't know if it's bad strategy or not. But, Dierdork(ths) clearly stated, while he was talking about the no huddle, Ben gets to call his own plays most of the time during normal situations and that most QBs would absolutely envy his 'freedom' to call his own plays. Dierdork(ths) definitely made a distinction between what Ben does in the no-huddle and what happens during normal plays. Maybe 'Dork(ths) is as stupid as I think he is and has no idea of what he's rambling about. If this is true, though, it adds some unseen dimensions into the Steelers play calls.........

ikestops85
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't think he ever said Ben calls most of the plays. He did say in one game he called 40% to 50% of the plays and he has been more involved in the play calling. This doesn't mean he has carte blanche to call anything. Someone still sends in the offensive personnel package and I have to think that is Arians. If they send in the 5 wide personnel it will be hard for Ben to call a running play. I like the idea of the QB calling more of the plays. They are on the field and get a better sense of what the mood of the players is.