PDA

View Full Version : Discipline a Requirement!!

AngryAsian
11-30-2008, 09:13 PM
The win was sweet and I can't take much out of it other than that INT in the first quarter by Ben. But one thing I did notice are some of the undisciplined penalties we had. With the nastiness in which our D plays, it doesn't come as a surprise that with increased intensity come increased testosterone. That taunting penalty by Ike was just dumb and completely uncalled for. Might not matter much in the scheme of things, but come playoffs, those kind of penalties can maintain a drive and get a team back into a game that they may be behind. Our team can play this type of ball and still be a disciplined machine that will get the win by not helping the other team with bonehead plays. Just an observation... opinions?

stlrz d
11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I agree, but it was kind of cool seeing BB whine for a taunting penalty! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelTorch
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I agree, but it was kind of cool seeing BB whine for a taunting penalty! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, I saw that. He looked PISSED! And I laughed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AngryAsian
11-30-2008, 09:17 PM

Absolutely!!! His normal stoic resolve had a total meltdown and the camera caught him spazzing on the sidelines. Truly awesome!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pittpete
11-30-2008, 09:17 PM
He looked like a fat wet beanie baby witha hoodie.

Ozey74
11-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Way to think ahead Asian! Hope Tomlin can get this nipped in the bud before January.

stlrz d
11-30-2008, 09:29 PM
For Costanza:

The discipline is not up to snuff.

Discipline of Steel
11-30-2008, 09:53 PM
I cant disagree with you about Steeler Discipline :D
but I dont want to have to be the one that tells that to Harrison!

DkBlue
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Remember last year when Brady ran into the end zone pointing his finger and jawing at Anthoney Smith? If that isn't taunting I don't know what is and it was not called.

stlrz d
11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Remember last year when Brady ran into the end zone pointing his finger and jawing at Anthoney Smith? If that isn't taunting I don't know what is and it was not called.

Good point!

AngryAsian
11-30-2008, 11:01 PM

It was not called because the "History Making" run that the Cheats* were on last year, nothing was going to stop the spin that the league was putting on the team, especially with their poster boy Brady leading this seemingly unbeatable team. Of course things weren't going to get called. Retribution today... without a doubt. My comments stem from the fact that in order for this team to go deep into the playoffs and into the big dance, we need to not shoot ourselves in the foot with bonehead plays. The unnecessary call on Clark was completely subjective. I have no issue with hard hitting legal hits (like Clark's on Welker). But Ike's taunting call is just dumb and kept a drive alive. That won't fly in the playoffs. We need to insure we don't hand teams the advantage, because really great teams will capitalize on them... and win (the Giants game).

drprwnap
11-30-2008, 11:07 PM
I couldn't agree more! This is the most undisciplined Steeler team I have ever seen (and I've been a fan since '71). This is squarely on the shoulders of Tomlin. He needs to get this under control NOW. This defense could be as great as it is WITHOUT the stupid, undisciplined actions on the field. Taylor's penalty was plain STUPID! It didn't cost us today, but in a close game it could be a game changer. Even though Cowher phoned in his last coaching year, he still demanded discipline from his team (and got it). Tomlin better WAKE UP! :x

costanza2k1
11-30-2008, 11:37 PM
For Costanza:

The discipline is not up to snuff.

True, but everything else was up to snuff. Make no mistake we're happy with what we put on tape.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DukieBoy
11-30-2008, 11:54 PM

Good point!

Brady is a consummate whiner and taunter, yet they treat him like the favored golden child who can do no wrong. It might be worse when he comes back from his injury and their impulse to protect and favor him will be increased.

DukieBoy
11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Way to think ahead Asian! Hope Tomlin can get this nipped in the bud before January.

Ike needs to let his play do the talking, like Jack Ham did.

If Lambert were playing today's game, he'd have about 5 or 6 flags per game for taunting. Says something about how ticky-tack this league has become.

It was funny to see little Billy Belliache whining like spoiled 4-year-old though.

kennyes
12-01-2008, 02:56 AM
It was a complete asinine call and it would not of even been called if that greasy, pouty little douche bag didn't go crying and kicking to the official. :moon

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2008, 11:25 AM
True leaders know when to be hard on the troops and when to take it easy on them. Most folks will praise the guys when they win and chastize them when they lose (makes sense, right?). However, if you know what you are doing, you will give them a little bit of sugar when they are down in order to not totally destroy whatever confidence they may have left, and you will pour on the vinegar even after a big time win to prevent them from getting big heads. Harping on every little mistake that might have cost us is the way to go after a big win like this. I think Tomlin knows this. He's an excellent leader for this team.

Discipline of Steel
12-01-2008, 11:53 AM

If Lambert were playing today's game, he'd have about 5 or 6 flags per game for taunting. Says something about how ticky-tack this league has become.

Imagine that Super Bowl where Lambert flung Cliff Harris to the ground after he patted our kicker on the head for missing a field goal. No flags, no fines! Harris's taunting was resolved on the field...and with all due haste.

I think the NFL should return to this perspective because the minute you taunt, the other team gets fired up so there was always a good reason not to do it anyway. Why does the NFL not fine players for 'pre-game' taunts? It becomes bulletin board material to fire up the opposing team. Keep it the same for 'in-game' taunts. In other words, if you taunt, you better be ready to back it up or you will be embarrassed ala Anthony Smith.

DukieBoy
12-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Imagine that Super Bowl where Lambert flung Cliff Harris to the ground after he patted our kicker on the head for missing a field goal. No flags, no fines! Harris's taunting was resolved on the field...and with all due haste.

I think the NFL should return to this perspective because the minute you taunt, the other team gets fired up so there was always a good reason not to do it anyway. Why does the NFL not fine players for 'pre-game' taunts? It becomes bulletin board material to fire up the opposing team. Keep it the same for 'in-game' taunts. In other words, if you taunt, you better be ready to back it up or you will be embarrassed ala Anthony Smith.

Right on. A statement of true discipline.
Let the players police themselves a bit, like the good old days, and the game will be better for it.

Jooser
12-01-2008, 11:42 PM
The Steelers were salivating for revenge last night. Ike took out some pinned up emotion out on the Pats*. I think he can be forgiven for the outstanding work that he did on Moss. I, of course, do not want anything like that to occur that could prove to be detrimental to our team in the near future. But, I'll overlook this because there was definitely some payback in the minds and hearts of our guys last night. The temper-tantrem by Belicheat* is unforgettable.

:tt2

ikestops85
12-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I have to wonder what was going on during the game. Ike is generally not one of our "mouthy" players so my guess is the Pats were talking to him the whole game and he finally had enough. It's definitely something that needs addressed because it could cost us a game and in a one loss and done playoff scenario that would be disasterous.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I have to wonder what was going on during the game. Ike is generally not one of our "mouthy" players so my guess is the Pats were talking to him the whole game and he finally had enough. It's definitely something that needs addressed because it could cost us a game and in a one loss and done playoff scenario that would be disasterous.

On the contrary, his Steeler teammates say that Ike never shuts up on the field. That's fine...to be a good corner, you have to have a decent amount of cockiness about you.

Oviedo
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM

I'd prefer if the NFL officials focused on the constant and blatant holding done against Harrison and Woodley and less about tossing a ball meaninglessly in the direction of an opponent. One effects the integrity of the game and the other doesn't.

Goodell is ruining the NFL with this kind of nonsense. The current league officials have no concept of what is important and what isn't.

ikestops85
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM

On the contrary, his Steeler teammates say that Ike never shuts up on the field. That's fine...to be a good corner, you have to have a decent amount of cockiness about you.

Hmmm ... I've never noticed that. I'll have to pay closer attention but I agree you have to have a cockiness about you to be a good corner. To be a "great" corner you have to be cocky and also be able to catch a football. :roll: Damn, I wish Ike could catch.