PDA

View Full Version : Every year someone starts this thread - LOL

stlrz d
11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showt ... p?t=174427 (http://www.baltimoresun2.com/talk/showthread.php?t=174427)

He's a great player no doubt...but when guys are that great I think you'd be splitting hairs to try and find something that separates one from another.

He may be the best free safety in the game right now, but I don't know that I'd classify him the best overall safety. Really, I don't know that I'd classify anyone best overall safety...especially since the responsibilities of free and strong safeties are so different.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I think Troy palumaulu is the kobe braynt of football. granteed lock at canton if it wasnt' for his injury. this guy is amaizing enjoy it while you can..you will maybe never see a guy like him, he is a very rare talent, its sad he is hurt, and might have to cut his career short, but if he can endure just 4 or 5 more years, he will go down as one of the best safeties, if not the best ever to play the game of football.

I think my 3rd grade English teacher just cried. :lol:

Steel Life
11-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Look...as you said, someone is always going to try to make this point & it doesn't wash, just like how the argument of Deion Sanders vs. Woodson didn't.

In both cases, the people making the statement are only looking at the glamorous plays, not the every down, all-around game that each player brings. Reed is basically a centerfielder & a great one at that - but that's his job as a FREE SAFETY. In their defense he can afford to hang back, watch the play develop & then make a play. But he now has been reduced to either the pick-off or going for the kill-shot, because he doesn't come up hard anymore - he's taken too many hits. I imagine the drop-off in his performance will come soon & will be soon.

I'll take Troy at his best any day because he forces the action both on passing & running downs & as such, he forces teams to game-plan around him - even when he doesn't make the play. Ask yourself honestly...the true test of how valuable a player is can be determined by their impact if they switched teams. So switch Reed & Troy & what do you have?...a better than average free-safety for us & a terror on defense for them.

When you look at it that way, there really is no argument.