11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
linkage:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

Sources: Burress wounded in accidental shooting
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: November 29, 2008, 11:38 AM ET

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.

Details of the incident weren't immediately available, but according to a source the wound was not considered life-threatening.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

Burress, who was not expected to play against the Washington Redskins on Sunday because of a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

The Giants organization was not commenting on the story.

In September, Burress was suspended for a game and fined for a violation of team rules, reportedly failing to appear at a team meeting and being unavailable by phone. At the time, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that Burress was tending to urgent family matters.

Burress signed a five-year, $35 million contract this fall after helping the Giants to a Super Bowl championship last season.

steelernation77
11-29-2008, 12:47 PM
That's unfortunate, I hope he recovers quickly. Not something you wish on anybody.

Edit:
Apparently Plax shot himself in the leg. He was carrying a loaded pistol and it went off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

Ozey74
11-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Dumba$$!

stlrz d
11-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I heard this on my way home and raced back as quickly as I could...but I was too slow.

I hope he recovers quickly and that there are no permanent effects...but what a moron!

Shawn
11-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Ya know...normally I really feel for someone that is sick, hurt, or injured. But, first why was he carrying a gun into a club? Second, was he playing with said gun? Guns on safety just don't go off. I don't like the idea of people carrying guns publically...bad things happen when you mix alcohol and guns. It's just stupid. And this is just another event in the saga that is Plexiglass. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

Oviedo
11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Thank God we did not sign this moron. Talk about a complete idiot. He is one distraction after another.

RuthlessBurgher
11-29-2008, 04:58 PM
http://www.protectivestructures.com/images/acrylic-shot_cap.jpg

At least when Peezy got shot in the :moon , it was someone else who shot him.

He didn't shoot his own stupid :moon . :loser

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Thank God we did not sign this moron. Talk about a complete idiot. He is one distraction after another.

You know, it is telling that this question even comes up at all , given that the guy helped get them to the Superbowl and made the Superbowl winning catch.

What a :loser (Plexiglass, not you good buddy Oviedo!).

I tend to :Agree with you, but it is a tough call. At least I'm sure I'm glad I'm not the Giant's FO right now!

BTW - anyone know, did he shoot himself in a club, or was that just a rumor? And, exactly "where" in the leg ... :wink:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Please forgive me for breaking the rule about not posting right after a previous post, but I just read this on the other forum by Fordfan485, and I hereby nominate this line as the best post ever:

(Re: plexiglass shooting himself in the leg) -

"First time all season he was able to get around a safety ..."

:Bow :Bow :lol:

buckeyehoppy
11-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Ya know...normally I really feel for someone that is sick, hurt, or injured. But, first why was he carrying a gun into a club? Second, was he playing with said gun? Guns on safety just don't go off. I don't like the idea of people carrying guns publically...bad things happen when you mix alcohol and guns. It's just stupid. And this is just another event in the saga that is Plexiglass. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

Dude...why the f--- did he have a gun in a bar in the first place?!!!

I don't know about where everyone else lives, but it is a FELONY to bring a gun into a bar in Ohio...even if it is registered and even if it comes with a concealed carry permit. A CCP doesn't apply to establishments where alcohol is served in most states. If you have a gun in a bar, you'd better have a badge.

Burress might just have a pretty serious charge on his hands if the Giants aren't fully interested in greasing the right palms in this case. It would serve this dumbf---ing $hit-for-brains right if his a$$ went to jail like Mikey Vick's did.

Starlifter
11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
ok, gonna go out on a limb here and hazard a few guesses. hope i'm wrong, probably i am BUT

the gun will be unregistered
plax will not have a permit for the gun
plax will not have a concealed firearm permit
the safety was not on OR he was showing the gun to someone

He is blessed with talent but is sorely lacking in work ethic, humility and intelligence. I agree with John Wayne. 'life is tough......it's tougher if you're stupid'...

Ozey74
11-29-2008, 07:20 PM
The Giants have proven that they are winners without their prima-donna's. They won the SB last year w/out Shockey & they are doing just fine this year with Plaxico not being a major contributor.

I wonder if this incident leads to the end of Plaxico in NY?

costanza2k1
11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
[youtube:2v8n6iah]I1L8l3LrzLA[/youtube:2v8n6iah]

stlrz d
11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
The Giants have proven that they are winners without their prima-donna's. They won the SB last year w/out Shockey & they are doing just fine this year with Plaxico not being a major contributor.

Didn't they just sign him to a big, new contract?

Wonder if there's an out clause in the case of a felony?

Ozey74
11-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Didn't they just sign him to a big, new contract?

Wonder if there's an out clause in the case of a felony?

Yes, I think they did just sign him. Maybe they can trade him like they did Shockey.

stlrz d
11-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I read someplace online that having a loaded firearm in a place that serves alcohol carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 1/2 years...no exceptions.

Not sure if that's true or not, but if it is then he's not playing for anyone for awhile...maybe even ever.

buckeyehoppy
11-30-2008, 01:28 AM
I read someplace online that having a loaded firearm in a place that serves alcohol carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 1/2 years...no exceptions.

Not sure if that's true or not, but if it is then he's not playing for anyone for awhile...maybe even ever.

Not to bore anyone with legalese, but I looked up some stuff on firearm laws in New York State. This is what I found:

In general, it's a federal mandate that firearms are not legal in establishments that do the majority of their business dispensing alcoholic beverage on premises. This would probably apply in Plaxigun's case.

The laws in New York tend to be slightly more lenient than in other states. The law on carrying a firearm into a drinking establishment varies from state to state. From what I gather, it is NOT a felony to carry a firearm into a bar in NYS. That would be a possible point to Plaxigun.

However, the law becomes that much more strict when certain factors are in play:

1) Plaxigun's weapon was, obviously, loaded.
2) Said loaded weapon was discharged.
3) The discharged weapon caused injury...in this case, to the person in possession of said loaded weapon.

Most states have what can be referred to as "character clauses" in possessing a firearm. In Plaxigun's case, it can probably be reasonably argued that he was in possession of his weapon as a self-defense mechanism. That is, at least, a reasonably plausible excuse.

However, there are certain responsibilities that a person carrying a firearm must adhere to. This is from the NYPD website, Title 38, Rules of the City of New York:

§ 5-22 Conditions of Issuance. (a) A handgun license is issued under the following
conditions:
(11) The licensee shall not draw, expose or display handgun(s) unnecessarily.
(13) To assure maximum safety, proper safeguards shall be taken at all
times to keep handguns away from unauthorized persons, especially children. Pursuant
to New York City Administrative Code § 10-312,it shall be a criminal violation for any person who is the lawful owner or lawful custodian of a handgun to store or otherwise
place or leave such weapon in such a manner or under circumstances that it is out of
her/his immediate possession or control, without having rendered such weapon
inoperable by employing a safety locking device as defined in section 5-25(a)(2) of this
chapter. Such offense shall constitute a misdemeanor if the offender has previously been
found guilty of such violation or if the violation is committed under circumstances which
create a substantial risk of physical injury to another person. (bold emphasis mine)

It can be ascertained that Plaxigun was NOT in immediate control of his weapon and that that circumstance created a substantial risk of physical injury.

Granted, the physical injury was self-inflicted. But if that hadn't been the case and he shot someone else, we'd be talking about a fairly serious situation.

I'd think that, because Plaxigun has no prior convictions, that he will probably get off with a misdemeanor, no jail time and community service because the harm he caused was largely to himself. IOW, he's a lucky SOB that he only shot himself.

Whether that absolves him in the eyes of the NFL is anyone's guess. I think the whole idea of carrying a loaded and concealed weapon into an establishment which furnishes alcoholic beverage should be punishable by the NFL with a large fine and a multiple game suspension. The law can't convict him of much more than the gun charge. In the eyes of the league, however, if they have any ball$ they'll realize that he hurt himself and probably could have injured or even killed someone else. Talk about your PR nightmares.

The NFL would be wise to make an example of Plaxigun before someone does just that. On the anniversary of the Sean Taylor murder, it would send the right message that irresponsible gun possession is absolutely intolerable and will be punished harshly.