PDA

View Full Version : Bad "offseason" news

SteelerNation1
11-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Carolina resigns CB Chris Gamble. BMAC's $ tag just went WAYYYYYYY up. He is gone,
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-panthers-gamble&prov=ap&type=lgns

RuthlessBurgher
11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Gamble was a 1st round pick who has been a starter there since he was a rookie. McFadden was a 2nd round pick who just won a starting gig this year, and has not been able to play in half the games so far due to injury. Sure, Rosenhaus will use this contract...and the Nate Clements contract...and the Asante Samuel contract....to his advantage as best his can to benefit his client, but it is not like BMac, who was nothing more than a nickel corner coming into this season, is suddenly going to be making Pro Bowl money after one injury-marred season as a starter.

buckeyehoppy
11-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I'll side with RB on this one. Coming into this year Bmac really needed to step up to prove he wasn't a bust as a second round pick. While he has, more or less, cast aside the bust label the injuries have added another dimension of setback.

If he is looking for big money, Bmac might find it and he would be gone. So, SN1 has a point. But to this point, Bmac hasn't really stood out enough to show any consistency and he hasn't been healthy enough to prove himself a star player.

I think the Steelers still have a shot at him as an UFA so long as his demands aren't through the stratosphere.

Iron Shiek
11-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I'll side with RB on this one. Coming into this year Bmac really needed to step up to prove he wasn't a bust as a second round pick. While he has, more or less, cast aside the bust label the injuries have added another dimension of setback.

If he is looking for big money, Bmac might find it and he would be gone. So, SN1 has a point. But to this point, Bmac hasn't really stood out enough to show any consistency and he hasn't been healthy enough to prove himself a star player.

I think the Steelers still have a shot at him as an UFA so long as his demands aren't through the stratosphere.

Well let me play devil's advocate. Why would all of your points regarding Bmac make the Steelers want to keep him? What if they save the money they would use on him and go in anothter direction (should something be available) or use that $$ to bolster the lines further and find a decent fill in for Bmac (or Gay...I know he's still green and all, but just sayin). We all know what Bmac is capable of, but listening to you give all these reasons why another team wouldn't want him makes me not want him...ha.

buckeyehoppy
11-29-2008, 12:27 AM

Well let me play devil's advocate. Why would all of your points regarding Bmac make the Steelers want to keep him? What if they save the money they would use on him and go in anothter direction (should something be available) or use that $$ to bolster the lines further and find a decent fill in for Bmac (or Gay...I know he's still green and all, but just sayin). We all know what Bmac is capable of, but listening to you give all these reasons why another team wouldn't want him makes me not want him...ha.

I hear ya, IS. And Bmac probably isn't, nor should he be, priority #1 for the Steelers. If Bmac can stay healthy enough, I think he'll make a very good player for someone...possibly even the Steelers.

But I don't think there is any way that the Steelers are justified in breaking the bank for this guy. The interior lines are, by far, a higher priority than Bmac. Depending on how the Steelers manage the retooling of the OL, they could be justified in drafting a DB as high as the 2nd round, greasing the skids on Bmac's way outta town.

SteelerNation1
11-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I hope I am wrong, but I forsee a 6 year, 50+ million dollar deal in his future. Obviously not from us. :cry: You need at least 4 solid CBs in this league today. We have 1 in Ike, 2 maybe in DT, and hopefully a 3rd in Gay.

Jom112
11-29-2008, 12:52 AM
I can see Rosenhaus asking for a contract like Ken Hamil (6 year, $38 Million). Trying to draw the comparisons on age and both being second round draft picks. Although with Bmac being hurt his number should be less than that...

SteelerNation1
11-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I can see Rosenhaus asking for a contract like Ken Hamil (6 year, $38 Million). Trying to draw the comparisons on age and both being second round draft picks. Although with Bmac being hurt his number should be less than that...
Mid-20's potential shutdown CB...he will BREAK THE BANK!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Gamble was a 1st round pick who has been a starter there since he was a rookie. McFadden was a 2nd round pick who just won a starting gig this year, and has not been able to play in half the games so far due to injury. Sure, Rosenhaus will use this contract...and the Nate Clements contract...and the Asante Samuel contract....to his advantage as best his can to benefit his client, but it is not like BMac, who was nothing more than a nickel corner coming into this season, is suddenly going to be making Pro Bowl money after one injury-marred season as a starter.

He wasn't even a starter. He only got the nod after DT was injured.