PDA

View Full Version : Lolly: Four with Steelers ties reach semifinals

costanza2k1
11-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Four with Steelers ties reach semifinals
Rod Woodson, Kevin Greene, Dermontti Dawson and Russ Grimm are among the 25 semifinalists being considered for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2009.

Of that group, this is Woodson's first year of eligibility.

Woodson is considered a shoe-in for induction, while the others have been up for vote in the past and come up short.

To me, Woodson, Dawson and Grimm should all be easy choices.

Woodson was a game-changing cornerback for the Steelers before switching to safety later in his career and excelling at that as well.

Dawson was the most dominant center - and possibly lineman - of his era.

And Grimm was a cornerstone for the Redskins' Hogs of their Super Bowl teams in the '80s before going into coaching.

Greene is among the league's all-time sack leaders, but was perhaps too one-dimensional in my opinion to be a sure-fire Hall of Fame player.

That one dimension was pretty good, but he was a liability in coverage. When he was with the Steelers, he wasn't even the best defensive player on his team, ranking behind Woodson, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland and Carnell Lake in the pecking order - in my opinion.

The Steelers should get Bryant McFadden back this week against the Patriots, while Willie Parker is questionable to play.

Deshea Townsend and Brett Keisel are definitely out, as is Marvel Smith.

Mike Tomlin didn't exactly give Mitch Berger a ringing endorsement today when asked why the team chose to re-sign him, saying it came down more to continuity at holder for Jeff Reed.

That's what I've been saying about the signing. But even a hobbled Berger has to be better than Paul Ernster was in the two games he replaced Berger in.

Berger has had nearly a month since he last kicked, so his injured hamstring should be better.

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Woodson should be a shoo-in, but I thought Dirt would have been a shoo-in 5 years after he retired. I guess nobody cares about the anonymous linemen. Dawson wasn't even a finalist last year. :shock: Let's hope that voters take their heads out of their rectums and elect the center that had all of the best attributes of Hall of Fame centers Mike Webster and Dwight Stephenson in one body.

rpmpit
11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Woodson is in. No question about that. And just off the top of my head, does that make him the first post-70s Steelers player in the HOF? Dirt has to eventually get in, so that would be two. Bettis in three years will make it three. Greene definitely deserves to be in, but I just don't have a strong feeling about his chances. Am I forgetting anyone?

Well, definitely Cowher and possibly Lebeau. Do coaches have to be retired 5 years too?? What if Cowher came back to coaching sometime in the next few years? How would that affect him?

stlrz d
11-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Woodson is in. No question about that. And just off the top of my head, does that make him the first post-70s Steelers player in the HOF? Dirt has to eventually get in, so that would be two. Bettis in three years will make it three. Greene definitely deserves to be in, but I just don't have a strong feeling about his chances. Am I forgetting anyone?

Well, definitely Cowher and possibly Lebeau. Do coaches have to be retired 5 years too?? What if Cowher came back to coaching sometime in the next few years? How would that affect him?

I don't have time to dig around the interwebs for it, but I am almost positive coaches do not have to wait.

Of course it's early and I'm not yet through my morning coffee so I could be confusing that with something else. :?

As for LeBeau, he could get in as a player (voted in by the senior committee) but I think only head coaches are eligible for induction. That kind of sucks cuz there are some guys out there who are great coordinators but not-so-great head coaches. Of course LeBeau's only shot at the head gig was in Cincinnati. Can anyone have a HoF coaching career there? :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-26-2008, 10:57 AM

I don't have time to dig around the interwebs for it, but I am almost positive coaches do not have to wait.

Of course it's early and I'm not yet through my morning coffee so I could be confusing that with something else. :?

As for LeBeau, he could get in as a player (voted in by the senior committee) but I think only head coaches are eligible for induction. That kind of sucks cuz there are some guys out there who are great coordinators but not-so-great head coaches. Of course LeBeau's only shot at the head gig was in Cincinnati. Can anyone have a HoF coaching career there? :lol:

I believe that Forrest Gregg is a HOFer - but that may have more to do with his playing career than his head coaching gig.

Getting into the HOF is a war of attrition. I saw somewhere a list of the 25 semi finalists. They have to pare it down to 15. I did see some strong names on the list, but if he gets to the final 15 and the voters can take a closer look at his career instead of just reading numbers (which is why so many O lineman never make it but one dimensional stat players do) then maybe he gets his due.