PDA

View Full Version : Peter King article (B. Ben)

anger 82&95
11-24-2008, 06:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/11/23/Week12/index.html?eref=T1)

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Here is the Steeler stuff, in case you don't want to skim through his entire MMQB:

It's a quarterback weekend. Roethlisberger leads, Favre slays, Cassel levitates, McNabb stews. The stories as I saw them, going back to my trip Thursday night to see the Steelers and Bengals at Heinz Field:

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger, leader. It's not a role he's always had with the Steelers; the thing you've heard over the years is the veterans on the team were looking for Big Ben to be more of an active lead-by-example guy. That's something he's morphed into now, naturally, and it bodes very, very well for the Steelers.

One by one, as the offensive linemen left the locker room after the Steelers dumped the Bengals 27-10 on a pre-winter night, Roethlisberger said to them: "Ten o'clock tomorrow. Don't be late.'' One of the linemen said he didn't know if he'd be up on time and wondered if Ben could give him a wakeup call, to which Roethlisberger told him to be on time and he'd see him there.

"Where you going?'' I asked.

"Taking the linemen to Chicago,'' he said. "It's Justin's birthday [center Justin Hartwig], and one of our linemen is from there, and he said we'd have a great time. So we're going. It'll be fun. Be a chance to hang out with the guys on a couple of days off.''

Roethlisberger is growing into a hard-shelled guy who can play hurt and be the kind of player his teammates want to follow. Thursday's game was an interesting example of that. When Santonio Holmes was knocked out by defensive back Chris Crocker, Roethlisberger thought a couple of his teammates might try to exact revenge. He told them not to. "It wasn't a dirty hit,'' Roethlisberger said in the huddle, trying to quell the anger.

In the fourth quarter, with a 20-10 lead and 2:22 left, the smart thing was for Roethlisberger to not aggravate his early season separated shoulder by taking any risk. But there he was, scrambling for the insurance score and stretching his exposed shoulder over the goal line for the touchdown while being tackled. It's the kind of play the crowd loves, the wounded hero saying injury be damned, I'm throwing caution to the wind and playing the game I love, and playing it hard ... It's also the kind of play that, if the quarterback gets hurt, fans will harangue said quarterback for weeks for taking a needless risk.

"Heck no,'' he said after I asked if he had thought twice about exposing his shoulder to that risk. "I will never ... Casey Hampton said to me on the sidelines, 'What are you doing scoring? Why didn't you just go down at the one?' I said, 'Hamp, don't you know by now? That's my heart.' I'm a competitor. I want to get in the end zone. And I want to win. Period. I don't think about running the clock out. I don't think about saving myself. It'll take someone to bring me down. It's the competitive side. [Coach Mike Tomlin] tells me, 'Don't take a hit. Get down, slide.' You have to pick your battles. You have to know when to do it. In that situation, it's competition.''

Roethlisberger said his shoulder has given him no trouble for three-straight games. "This is three weeks -- two, three weeks in a row -- that I haven't reinjured it. As long as it keeps feeling better, and if we don't do anything major to it, it's going to keep feeling better. I'm not going to baby it. I'm OK.''

He needs to be. When the team convenes today after the mini-bye-week (Tomlin gave them three days off after the victory over Cincinnati), the Steelers will be looking at a brutal four-week stretch -- at New England, Dallas, at Baltimore, at Tennessee. Rub dirt on it, spit on it, whatever. That shoulder has the hopes of the Steelers riding on it.

5. Pittsburgh (8-3). The only thing that can stop this team is its running game. Or lack thereof. If I'm Mike Tomlin, I'm giving Gary Russell some important carries Sunday in Foxboro. What a month the Steelers have coming up: at Patriots, home vs. Cowboys, at Ravens and Titans. They'll never make it with the kind of running game we saw Thursday night.

Five things you didn't know about Pittsburgh defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who was honored Thursday night before the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game for his 50 consecutive years of NFL service -- as a player, assistant coach and head coach. And I won't even include the one about reciting (from memory) Twas the Night Before Christmas to his players every year, a few days before Christmas:

1. His 171 consecutive starts at cornerback for the Detroit Lions between 1959 and 1972 is an NFL record.

2. He played pickup basketball at Ohio State with Bobby Knight, who has called LeBeau one of the 10 finest athletes he has encountered in his life.

3. He served as a stunt double for Michael Caine in a 1970 war movie called Too Late The Hero.

4. He calls his 95-year-old mother, Beulah LeBeau, in London, Ohio, every day.

5. He had holes-in-one seven days apart.

a. Willie Parker looks like he's running scared. He ran tentatively against those mighty Bengals, tiptoed into holes and actually shied away from a big hit against Rashad Jeanty. A worrisome display for the Steelers, who should be playing feisty backup Gary Russell. Parker's dancing first-half runs Thursday night: 1, 0, 1, 4, minus-2, 1, 0, 6, 3, 1, minus-1. He's obviously favoring his bum shoulder and hamstring.

b. Paul Ernster should have been cut at halftime. Steelers would have been wiser to use James Harrison, that prize special-teamer, as the punter Thursday.

Jooser
11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
That's a nice article on Ben. I love to read stuff like that. I think it's awsome he's hanging with his OL in Chicago for a personal affair. That's what cements a unit together. Those are the kinds of things you love to see out of your QB. My hats off to him, and I take back half the things I said about him after the Indy game. :D Also good news on his shoulder, I hope it stays healthy and allows Ben to move around and make plays, because that's his strong suit.

:Clap

Jom112
11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Willie Parker looks like he's running scared. He ran tentatively against those mighty Bengals,

I sense sarcasm, but I'll take it...

stlrz d
11-24-2008, 09:27 PM
I wonder if they had a drink or two at the top of the Hancock building in Chicago...that building is so damn tall your ears pop on the way up in the elevator! Awesome view of the city though!

Iron Shiek
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Maybe we shoulda done a "The Legend of Bad Word Lebeau" thread instead...after reading some of that stuff. He's been a stunt double, a bad@ss Iron man at CB, a baller....all he needs to have done is scale Mt. Everest and disarm Iran and North Korea and he can call it a career...

Steel Life
11-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Maybe we shoulda done a "The Legend of Bad Word Lebeau" thread instead...after reading some of that stuff. He's been a stunt double, a bad@ss Iron man at CB, a baller....all he needs to have done is scale Mt. Everest and disarm Iran and North Korea and he can call it a career...
Do you think that if he did that he would finally get enough support to get in the HOF? :wink:

RKSteel
11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Here is the Steeler stuff, in case you don't want to skim through his entire MMQB:

It's a quarterback weekend. Roethlisberger leads, Favre slays, Cassel levitates, McNabb stews. The stories as I saw them, going back to my trip Thursday night to see the Steelers and Bengals at Heinz Field:

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger, leader. It's not a role he's always had with the Steelers; the thing you've heard over the years is the veterans on the team were looking for Big Ben to be more of an active lead-by-example guy. That's something he's morphed into now, naturally, and it bodes very, very well for the Steelers.

One by one, as the offensive linemen left the locker room after the Steelers dumped the Bengals 27-10 on a pre-winter night, Roethlisberger said to them: "Ten o'clock tomorrow. Don't be late.'' One of the linemen said he didn't know if he'd be up on time and wondered if Ben could give him a wakeup call, to which Roethlisberger told him to be on time and he'd see him there.

"Taking the linemen to Chicago,'' he said. "It's Justin's birthday [center Justin Hartwig], and one of our linemen is from there, and he said we'd have a great time. So we're going. It'll be fun. Be a chance to hang out with the guys on a couple of days off.''

From today's NY Daily News:

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger kept his eye on a tipsy teammate at Chicago hot spot Manor as they celebrated a recent win. "Ben sat him down, gave him water and told him to chill," says our spy. But when the 300-pound linebacker tried to sneak more libations, "Ben would break from chatting with two leggy blonds to point at him, causing him to sit back down," says the snitch. "It was like watching a little kid on time-out."
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/ ... senta.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/11/25/2008-11-25_side_dish_lawyer_terry_christensen_senta.html)

Now that's what I call a team leader.

RuthlessBurgher
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger kept his eye on a tipsy teammate at Chicago hot spot Manor as they celebrated a recent win. "Ben sat him down, gave him water and told him to chill," says our spy. But when the 300-pound linebacker tried to sneak more libations, "Ben would break from chatting with two leggy blonds to point at him, causing him to sit back down," says the snitch. "It was like watching a little kid on time-out."
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/ ... senta.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/11/25/2008-11-25_side_dish_lawyer_terry_christensen_senta.html)

Ben was in Chicago with the o-lineman...and linebackers don't come in 300 lb varieties (I think Levon Kirkland was the closest, though), but then again, what do New York Daily News gossip reporters know about football (I'm frankly surprised they even recognized Ben).

Any bets on who the tipsy teammate was? We'll likely never know for sure, but I'll go for the smallest guy, 285 lb. Darnell Stapleton. Something tells me that a big fella like the 344 lb. Chris Kemoeatu can hold his liquor.

Ozey74
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Good for them to get out and to let out some steam!

Great find by the way! :Cheers

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM

Ben was in Chicago with the o-lineman...and linebackers don't come in 300 lb varieties (I think Levon Kirkland was the closest, though), but then again, what do New York Daily News gossip reporters know about football (I'm frankly surprised they even recognized Ben).

Any bets on who the tipsy teammate was? We'll likely never know for sure, but I'll go for the smallest guy, 285 lb. Darnell Stapleton. Something tells me that a big fella like the 344 lb. Chris Kemoeatu can hold his liquor.

I also could not see big Chris K. going and sitting down just because Ben points at a chair. :lol: My thinking is that if a drunk Kemo wants to get up, it would take Ben and the rest of the line to sit him down. He is known to have a nasty streak without drinking.

I would think that your Stapleton guess is a good one. He is young enough to be both subordinate and to let his drinking go too far.