PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl on the move?

Iron Shiek
11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I think this would be a good move. It would give it some more spotlight maybe, and while it would suck being voted to the Pro Bowl and not getting to play because you are in the Super Bowl, at least you got the Super Bowl to look forward to.

Here's to seeing zero Steelers in the next 10 or so Pro Bowls! :Cheers

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/24/pro-bowl-on-the-move/

PRO BOWL ON THE MOVE?
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 24, 2008, 2:23 p.m. EST
The NFL wants to make the Pro Bowl relevant, and it has a surprising way of doing it: Move it to the week before the Super Bowl.

Peter King of SI.com reports that this will probably be the last season that the Pro Bowl is played the week after the Super Bowl.

Per King, the league likely will announce the moving of the game to the weekend before the Super Bowl, either on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday night, and make the Pro Bowl part of the week of hype leading up to the Super Bowl. The Pro Bowl will also most likely be played in the same stadium as the Super Bowl most years, instead of in Honolulu.

That means that the 2010 Pro Bowl will be played on either January 30, January 31 or February 1 at Dolphins Stadium. It also means that no players from the two teams in the Super Bowl will play in the Pro Bowl, which means less star power for the league’s all-star game.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
it would suck being voted to the Pro Bowl and not getting to play because you are in the Super Bowl

On the contrary, I think most players would think being voted to Pro Bowl but not getting to play would be ideal...I think very few would think that scenario would suck. Other than the first time participants who truly enjoy the honor of being named an All Star for the first time, I don't think any player really enjoys playing in the Pro Bowl. I think the only reason some go is to take their family on a Hawaiian vacation on the NFL's dime. If it is not in Hawaii, established veterans will be even less excited to have to play (and possibly get injured) in this meaningless exhibition.

Djfan
11-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I can hear Goodell in a meeting:

"OK boys. What other long-standing tradition can we screw up today? We haven't changed a good thing for a while. Let's get busy!"

Ozey74
11-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd be for it. I hate the NFL withdrawl that I go through the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. IMO, the Pro Bowl as it is now, is so anti climatic because it occurs after the Super Bowl.

birtikidis
11-25-2008, 09:38 PM
i don't know, i think being voted to the pro bowl would be a pretty cool thing for a player. not being able to play in it would kinda piss me off. it prolly wouldn't have a lot to do with the HOF, but I wonder if it could affect the voting in a (very) small way.