PDA

View Full Version : Berger Mester Mester Berger

RKSteel
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Steelers bring back Berger to punt
Monday, November 24, 2008
Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to bring back punter Mitch Berger as a replacement for Paul Ernster -- the second time this season Ernster has been waived in favor of Berger.

The decision to re-sign Berger, 36, has not been announced by the Steelers, but Coach Mike Tomlin said he needed to address the position after Ernster punted five times for a 28.5-yard average in the team's last game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Berger appeared in eight games for the Steelers this season, averaging 41.9 yards per punt, but he was released Nov. 5 because of hamstring problems in both legs. Ernster, who was with the team in training camp, was re-signed as his replacement.

Curiously, Berger was brought to training camp to compete with Ernster to be the replacement for injured Daniel Sepulveda. Berger won the job and Ernster was released in the final cut.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08329/930397-100.stm

First published on November 24, 2008 at 10:58 am

One problem solved.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 01:02 PM
About d@mn time. Hasta la Ernster.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Is there a roster spot to keep Ernster on the roster? Hammies can be unpredictable, I could see Berger having to limp off the field after a kick or two.

I guess that would involve dressing two punters, unlikely, I suppose ...

costanza2k1
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
I hope both his hamstrings have healed and we're not rushing him.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Is there a roster spot to keep Ernster on the roster? Hammies can be unpredictable, I could see Berger having to limp off the field after a kick or two.

If Berger's hamstring exploded on the field and we needed an in-game replacement, I would rather see Jeff Reed or Hines Ward or James Harrison or Ben Roethlisberger or whoever filling in as a temporary replacement in that game until we could sign somebody else (i.e. not freaking Ernster) after the game was over. NEVER carry two punters. Ever.

ghettoscott
11-24-2008, 02:09 PM
...i think it would be pretty cool to see Big Snacks back there punting.., it wouldnt be beneficial to our team at all, but still it would be cool to see. :?

costanza2k1
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
...i think it would be pretty cool to see Big Snacks back there punting.., it wouldnt be beneficial to our team at all, but still it would be cool to see. :?

I think you have to have legs to punt just not an upper body and feet. LOL

AngryAsian
11-24-2008, 03:07 PM

I have heard rumor that once his NFL career is over, Big Snack is planning to replace this guy on South Park.

http://www.legaljuice.com/Chef%20angry%20mad%20cook%20south%20park.gif

Iron Shiek
11-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Hilarious! When you said that...I thought of a cauldron...

http://clipart.peirceinternet.com/png/cauldron.png

Just photoshop Snacks face on top and you got a stirring resemblance...

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 03:40 PM

I have heard rumor that once his NFL career is over, Big Snack is planning to replace this guy on South Park.

http://www.legaljuice.com/Chef%20angry%20mad%20cook%20south%20park.gif

If that's the case, all of the South Park kids will start to resemble Starvin' Marvin

http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/starvin%20marvin.gif

because the "New Chef" will be eating all of the salisbury steak, tater tots, and vegetable medley (well, maybe not the vegetable medley, but you get the idea!)

Jooser
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
If Berger blows his hammies, I think Skippy can get 'er done. He's Captain Clutch! :shock:

phillyesq
11-24-2008, 06:25 PM

If Berger's hamstring exploded on the field and we needed an in-game replacement, I would rather see Jeff Reed or Hines Ward or James Harrison or Ben Roethlisberger or whoever filling in as a temporary replacement in that game until we could sign somebody else (i.e. not freaking Ernster) after the game was over. NEVER carry two punters. Ever.

That would be entertaining. I would pity the guy that has to rush James Harrison while punting. :lol:

pittpete
11-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Ernster was a pig.
Plain and simple he stunk it up for 3 weeks.
Thank God Tomlin woke up.

AkronSteel
11-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Dude....that was awesome! Thank you for the laugh....I really needed that today! Thanks alot Cos!

:Bow
:Clap

proudpittsburgher
11-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I have to question if there weren't any capable HEALTHY punters out there. I know you want to go with experience in this case, but why do this if Berger is just going to go down with a hamstring injury? Wouldn't you rather have a healthy punter who will be back in playing form in time for the playoffs? We had to get rid of Ernster, but there had to be a healthier option.