PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolly breaks down playoff scenarios

costanza2k1
11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Sunday, November 23, 2008
A Sunday update
The Steelers moved into first place in the most important defensive statistic Sunday when Tennessee got blitzed by the Jets and now lead the league in scoring defense.

They lost their lead to Philadelphia in sacks and now trail the Eagles by two in that category, but lead the league in pass, rush and total defense in addition to scoring.

Baltimore isn't going away and the Steelers are going to have to keep the pedal to the metal the rest of the way.

I still think they need to go at least 2-2 in their next four games - and 3-2 - overall to win the division. That would force Baltimore to go 4-1 in games at Cincinnati and Dallas, and at home against the Redskins, Steelers and Jaguars.

If that happens and the Ravens beat the Steelers in Baltimore, the two teams would be tied atop the division having split their two meetings and both owning 5-1 records in the AFC North.

The third tiebreaker is record against common opponents.

If that's the case, everything could hinge on what the Steelers do against Tennessee and/or Dallas.

The Ravens lost to the Titans, while a victory by the Steelers would cancel out Sunday's win by Baltimore over Philadelphia, a team the Steelers lost to.

If the Steelers beat the Cowboys at home and the Ravens lose in Dalllas, that would also cancel out the Philadelphia loss.

The fourth tiebreaker is conference record and if the two teams finish tied and if the Ravens go 2-2 against the NFC East, while the Steelers go 1-3 losing to Dallas Pittsburgh would win the division based on a better record within the AFC, 10-3 compared to Baltimore's 9-4.

The fifth tiebreaker is strength of victory and it's likely the Steelers would have the Ravens there if they go 2-2 in the next four weeks.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 8:06 PM

MeetJoeGreene
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
That made my head hurt.

I just hope it doesn't get to the points tiebreaker.

RKSteel
11-24-2008, 09:20 AM
The Steelers just have to take care of business, and let us fans worry about playoff tiebreakers.

But, they have to beat the Ravens and win the division.

Ozey74
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I hope Cincy pulls a fast one on the Ravens Sunday. I hope the Ravens seriously overlook the Bungals and leave Cincy embarrassed on Sunday

:ratsuck

:bungalssuck

Jooser
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Yep, I agree, I think Cincy pulls the upset. The Rats think they're better than they really are after this past Sunday. Cincy 24, Rats 21. LMAO if this happens. :Clap :Clap :Clap