PDA

View Full Version : All Things Considered - Why Not More Credit?

Steel Life
11-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I know our own fans can be critical of the team as we always expect winning records & playoffs. But the more I think about the season so far, the thing I think that what both fans & media alike are missing on is how well this team is doing despite all the injuries it's had to deal with. Name one other winning or division-leading team that has had to deal with as many injuries as the Steelers? Some might mention the P*ts losing Brady & Maroney, but most off their offense is intact...& they aren't leading their division.

I know it's in vogue right now to bash Ben & focus on what he does wrong, but what is overlooked are the injuries he has to over-compensate for - both himself & others. For example, we all know (& the media too) how bad our O-Line is in pass-protection & that was when everyone was healthy. Now we have two starters out along with questionable play-calling to go with it, & we still hear nothing but how Ben is the problem from the pundits. Let me ask this, how good would any QB, or offense for that matter, be without his 1st & 2nd string RBs, his starting LT, his starting RG & starting TE for considerable chunks of the season, if not all of it?

Think about it...the Steelers have overcome the following key-personnel losses: starting RG (season), starting LT (6 games & counting), starting RB (5 games & counting), 2nd-String RB (season), Santonio (1 game suspension), starting TE (2 games), starting NT (3 games), starting DE (3 games), starting OLB (1 game), starting FS (1 game), starting CB (4 games & counting), starting DB (5 games & counting), starting punter (season), replacement punter, & the long-snapper (season). And add to that that we all know that Ben's been banged up all season & it makes what Ben & Tomlin has done all that more impressive considering the circumstances.

I'm not saying that the Steelers are the best team - we all know there are too many holes that need to be addressed - but they do deserve recognition for what they're doing & Tomlin deserves some consideration for Coach of the Year & Ben, if he takes this team to the playoffs, deserves to go to the Pro-Bowl....especially when you remember that most had the Steelers as THIRD in the division at the beginning of the season. But that's if they remember where they had the team ranked & if they can get off more glamorous story-lines to give this team the credit it deserves.

Iron Shiek
11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Amen brother.

I think more than a handful of people here have stated pretty much all that you are saying.

But the media will just overlook it, and that's fine. But with all the praise some other teams get, its weird to see that they just don't get any credit for being as prepared and ready for the newest challenge as they are.

SteelTorch
11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
One thing I've learned is that Steelers fans are drama queens (see Trib board). We downplay our successes but amplify every little failure. We call for a player to get benched one week then call him the "best ever" the next week (see Troy Polamalu).

Which is one reason I like this community so much. It's not that we're more positive, but that I think we're more reasoned, intelligent, and level-headed when it comes to the game. :wink:

stlrz d
11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
One thing I've learned is that Steelers fans are drama queens (see Trib board). We downplay our successes but amplify every little failure. We call for a player to get benched one week then call him the "best ever" the next week (see Troy Polamalu).

Which is one reason I like this community so much. It's not that we're more positive, but that I think we're more reasoned, intelligent, and level-headed when it comes to the game. :wink:

Which gets us labeled as kool aid drinkers. :roll:

SteelTorch
11-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Well, f**k them. That's what I say. :lol:

ANPSTEEL
11-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Its interesting that you posted this thread today.

As I have been watching the other games
- the jets beat tenn
- pats beat mia
- balt beat phily
currently rooting for San Diego!!!

given the schedules of these teams (inc indy) - vs. the steelers schedule down the stretch - Pitt could find themselves out of the playoffs.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

That while i would like nothing better than to see the steelers make a strong run in the playoffs and hopefully a victory in the SB-

So far, this season has been an impressive testament to the will of the team, and the ability of the coaching staff to get them prepared and keep them focused.

As you mention, this team has holes, even when healthy -
and while it would suck to waste such an incredible performance on the defensive side of the ball-

but all things considered, i'm pretty impressed with their performance over all.

on a side note, take a look at the other teams IR reprots:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/injuries/pup

steelers aren't that bad off compared to some-

MeetJoeGreene
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I am pleased with our record.

If someone would have told be what our record would be at this point, given our schedule, I would been pleased.

I am pleased with our Defense.

I think that a couple of the injuries (Simmons in particular) are addition by subraction.

It is a credit that we do have depth.

I have not been pleased with some of the offense's production and turnovers. It cost us at least one game. But if they get it back on track from here on out -- then all will be good.

Jooser
11-24-2008, 09:25 AM
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/9603/koolaidbm9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on in, the water's fine.

Jigawatts
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM

I don't know, maybe things would be more interesting and people would
post more often if we had a villain. Maybe I should unleash my alter-ego,
Tannen, to put all you kool aide drinkers in your place. 8) :lol:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DonRSD/back2thefutureone84.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 01:27 PM

I don't know, maybe things would be more interesting and people would
post more often if we had a villain. Maybe I should unleash my alter-ego,
Tannen, to put all you kool aide drinkers in your place. 8) :lol:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/DonRSD/back2thefutureone84.jpg

You might need an alter-ego after James Harrison obliterates your current ego for even suggesting that Timmons could be better than him. :lol:

Jigawatts
11-24-2008, 02:18 PM
You might need an alter-ego after James Harrison obliterates your current ego for even suggesting that Timmons could be better than him. :lol:

I could just see his explanation...

"I was trying to baptize him Mr. Rooney. Baptize him into a religion of PAIN."

:lol:

SteelerOfDeVille
11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Good idea...

I can be the bad guy... If Hulk Hogan can go from good to bad, I can do it, too.

Enough of eating your damned vitamins... it's on... oh, yea... it's on.

buckeyehoppy
11-24-2008, 10:29 PM
I've said all along that the Steelers have the talent to go wherever they want.

Well...the Steelers are 8-3 currently with a sizable group of that talent out injured. So, what does that tell you about this team?

I said to the guys at work today that if the Steelers can get it together on offense, then the rest of the league is in trouble from here forward. For the remainder of this campaign, the Steelers probably go as the offense goes. The defense just needs to keep doing what they are doing.