PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre, "Game Manager"

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-23-2008, 04:16 PM
You guys might know how I don't consider "game manager" an insult - the W is what matters, not how many pretty rainbow passes the QB has.

The Jets are showing how to beat the Titans ... Favre is taking what they're giving him, dink here dunk there. Currently ahead 20-3.

It reminds me of how Ben has been winning games these last two weeks.

I'm hoping and praying that Ben is learning well from these past two games, and maybe watching Favre today as well. "If it's good enough for Brett, it should be good enough for me!" ...

stlrz d
11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
For me the term "game manager" should be taken in context. When people used to refer to Ben as a game manager it was meant mostly as an insult.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-23-2008, 04:40 PM
For me the term "game manager" should be taken in context. When people used to refer to Ben as a game manager it was meant mostly as an insult.

Yeah, well I say ... "f* 'em :D "

SteelTorch
11-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Could we please just stop it with all the dumb "game manager" talk? What is a game manager, anyway? People seem to have different opinions on what it is. :roll:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Could we please just stop it with all the dumb "game manager" talk? What is a game manager, anyway? People seem to have different opinions on what it is. :roll:

I knew just enough about this term from the other forum that people were using it do describe Ben insultingly, and I wanted to make the point that I didn't care what they called Ben, just as long as he won.

Didn't know it was a hot button item, sorry if I offended.

SteelTorch
11-23-2008, 07:33 PM

I knew just enough about this term from the other forum that people were using it do describe Ben insultingly, and I wanted to make the point that I didn't care what they called Ben, just as long as he won.

Didn't know it was a hot button item, sorry if I offended.
Sorry for snapping, it's not really you. Everywhere I turn - this forum, the Trib board, NFL Network, ESPN - people are throwing out the words "game" and "manage" left and right, and it's driving me CRAZY. People are using it both positively and negatively, but what annoys me is that I'm sure half of them don't even know what "managing" a game is. That, or everyone seems to have their own ideas.

I prefer we just stop with the "managing" talk and just let Ben do what it takes to win, whether it's "managing a game" or not.

Jooser
11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, the way I see it, the QB is the leader of the offense. So, aren't leaders supposed to 'manage' things whether it's business, construction or sports? The QB is the field general and delegates who gets the ball and who doesn't quite often by calling audibles or selecting an open receiver. If that's not managing, what is?

:2c My twenty cents worth. :lol:

Iron Shiek
11-23-2008, 08:56 PM
When you look up game manager in google, no pics of football pop up only this:

http://www.happypenguin.org/images/wgm.jpg

So I agree, let's retire that term!

Discipline of Steel
11-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I think most people use the term Game Manager as a slight. If a QB cant sling it all over the field, they are supposed to just allow the offense to 'work' around them and not get in its way by making mistakes...and that team should be researching thier options for a new QB sometime in the near future.

Personally, I think all QB are Game Managers first and foremost. It is a required skill. Calling them such is really saying that no one is scared of them throwing the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Game Managers take what the defense gives them in order to win the game. That's what Ben and Favre are both doing right now, and both are winning. That's smart football.

Ben and Favre both also have gunslinger mentalities though, even though trying to force things in places where they shouldn't can cost them at times. This type of mentality can also be a positive, though, pushing them over the top when the team truly needs them to put the team on their shoulders and win a game.

It's good to have both styles in their arsenal. When the defense is dominating and you are running reasonably well, if all you need to do at QB is not make costly mistakes in order to win, that is what you do. The team victory is more important than your personal stat line. When the defense is having a down week and your RB's are getting stuffed, then you take some chances to try to will your team to victory.

I'd love to see the Steelers earn the 2nd seed and a 1st round bye in the playoffs, meaning that Favre and the Jets would be the likely opponent to come into Heinz Field in the divisional round after the Jets beat a wild card team in the first week of the playoffs. It would be quite the showdown of gunslinging game managers. :wink: