PDA

View Full Version : Real or Fake

Jigawatts
11-22-2008, 12:46 PM
No, not boobies, but now that I have your attention...

This always seems like a good topic this time of year. What do you prefer to see the
Steelers play on? Artificial turf or Natural grass?

Me, I prefer the real stuff. Discuss.

RuthlessBurgher
11-22-2008, 12:54 PM
It is certainly a tough choice, because I hated the Astroturf at Three Rivers that was as hard as cement that was painted green. But with the advancements in artificial turf technology recently, I think the new Field Turf is definitely worth a look. We aren't a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust team anymore, so playing on a sloppy field can actually hurt us since we rely on the speed of guys like Willie, Santonio, Troy, Ike, Harrison, Woodley, etc. If we didn't share the field with Pitt all season and all of those high school championship games this month, I would be all for the real stuff. But the combination of all those games, plus the weather in a Northern city, makes me lean toward the fake stuff.

Jigawatts
11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
You make good points Ruthless and the only reason why I'd lean towards field
turf at all is because of our speed and because we are usually the better team.
I think if a mediocre team comes in, the poor natural surface evens the playing
field. Take last years Miami game. We were clearly the dominant team, but
the slop evened it out. But we came out on top and it was a novel game to watch.
I mean, how many times do you see a football stick in the ground like that? :lol:

fordfixer
11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
real grass

MeetJoeGreene
11-22-2008, 01:52 PM
:Boobs

Dang. I thought this was about something else altogether.,

Shawn
11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Definately turf. We are not the slow...pound it out Steelers of old. We have speed and turf enhances a teams speed. Can you imagine Parker on turf?

Jooser
11-22-2008, 03:18 PM
At Heinz Field, field turf is the way to go. We seem to slide around as much as any visiting team late in the season and I don't believe it offers ANY home field advantage, instead it levels the playing 'field' as some have previously stated.

stlrz d
11-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Boobs - real

Turf - field

RuthlessBurgher
11-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Boobs - real

Turf - field

Turf - field? Yeah, turf is a field. :lol:

I'm glad you didn't put Boobs - field as well. That would have really been confusing. :mrgreen:

Then again, Boobs are better when they are field (feeled). :P

stlrz d
11-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Boobs - real

Turf - field

I'm glad you didn't put Boobs - field as well. That would have really been confusing. :mrgreen:

I think you know what I meant caveman. :D

Djfan
11-23-2008, 03:58 AM
The players want real grass, then so do I.

buckeyehoppy
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM
It is certainly a tough choice, because I hated the Astroturf at Three Rivers that was as hard as cement that was painted green. But with the advancements in artificial turf technology recently, I think the new Field Turf is definitely worth a look. We aren't a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust team anymore, so playing on a sloppy field can actually hurt us since we rely on the speed of guys like Willie, Santonio, Troy, Ike, Harrison, Woodley, etc. If we didn't share the field with Pitt all season and all of those high school championship games this month, I would be all for the real stuff. But the combination of all those games, plus the weather in a Northern city, makes me lean toward the fake stuff.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, ergo, the quote.

Artificial surfaces have advanced light years even since Heinz Field opened. Couple that with Pitt home games and HS playoff games, the newly technologically advanced field turf is the way to go.

Of course, I like these :Boobs however they come :D :Beer :tt1

Jigawatts
11-23-2008, 11:14 AM

I'll take those natural as well. :Boobs

Flasteel
11-23-2008, 11:56 AM

Couldn't have said it any better myself, ergo, the quote.

Artificial surfaces have advanced light years even since Heinz Field opened. Couple that with Pitt home games and HS playoff games, the newly technologically advanced field turf is the way to go.

Good points. I'm not too concerned about real or fake, but I would say that there are some advantages with the latter.
Yeah, sometimes the surface is too hard and it doesn't look quite right or it doesn't feel as naturally soft when you make contact. You also have to sometimes deal with poor installation and get an uneven playing surface or have those unsightly seams and bumps. But going fake also has its benefits. You can have a surface which gets so worn out or was never that great to begin with and it becomes difficult to play on. This is especially hard when you look around and see all of the spectacular surfaces that are out there and you’re stuck with an aesthetic disaster that everyone makes fun of. For a comparatively small investment, you can have something to be happy about every time you stare down at that surface from above or go to play on it. Sometimes you might sacrifice a little in the authentic look & feel department, but when there is a dire need for surface improvement - fake is the way to go.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2008, 12:47 PM
The players want real grass, then so do I.

Well, we know one player wants real grass for sure. *cough*...Santonio...*cough* :lol:

Starlifter
11-23-2008, 01:26 PM
real grass IF we can somehow find a way to maintain it properly and perhaps by some miracle, finish the season with the same turf we started with. every year since Heinz opened we're replacing the field at some point. they have to figure out how to do it right. if they can't, stop di#king around and put in the field turf.

stlrz d
11-23-2008, 03:32 PM
stop di#king around and put in the field turf.

That's all you needed to say! :D

costanza2k1
11-23-2008, 06:33 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1guh2vnt]Boobs - real

Turf - field

I think you know what I meant caveman. :D[/quote:1guh2vnt]

I think Ruthless was just making poking on you. :moon

stlrz d
11-23-2008, 06:48 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2qm6v4xq]Boobs - real

Turf - field

I think Ruthless was just making poking on you. :moon[/quote:2qm6v4xq]

As I was making poking on him back! :moon

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
[quote=RuthlessBurgher][quote="stlrz d":k7ivm1u4]Boobs - real

Turf - field

I think Ruthless was just making poking on you. :moon[/quote:k7ivm1u4]

As I was making poking on him back! :moon[/quote:k7ivm1u4]

Please don't use the word "poking" and the mooning smiley together in the same post. :P

papillon
11-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Boobs - this feeled :Boobs , not this field

Playing field - players want natural, leave it as grass and work with the NCAA, WPIAL and NFL to schedule Pitt and Steelers away the weekend that the high school kids get to play at Heinz.

Pappy