PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC Reporting Browns are offering Cowher....

Iron Shiek
11-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I can't find any source on the internet...but on local Columbus radio 20 minute update, the lady talking said MSNBC reports the Browns are going to offer Cowher $8 to $9 million to take over.

I don't know how any of this can be official seeing as Crennel is under contract, but thought I'd pass along what I heard. I will keep an eye out for any printed evidence of this story...

proudpittsburgher
11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Not to say I told you so, but, um, well, you get it.

Iron Shiek
11-21-2008, 12:50 PM

I'm not seeing it anywhere else, just still a bunch of rumors or whatever on the internet. But when the radio quoted MSNBC, I figured it might be noteworthy.

As for Cowher, I still don't think he takes it.

rpmpit
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
This could be good news for us. If Cowher takes over the Browns, we'll get to see them lose AFCCGs at home every few years!!!

anger 82&95
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
This was posted on PFT (Pro Football Talk) I would categorize this as “unsubstantiated.” http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/ ... ng-cowher/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/20/source-browns-pursuing-cowher/)

proudpittsburgher
11-21-2008, 01:46 PM

I'm not seeing it anywhere else, just still a bunch of rumors or whatever on the internet. But when the radio quoted MSNBC, I figured it might be noteworthy.

As for Cowher, I still don't think he takes it.
As I've said before, it is very much a win-win for BC. Look, expectations are very low for Cleveland fans, so anything he brings to the team will be an improvement. The fact that Cleveland and Cincy don't get the fact that until they get a bit tougher, they will never win the division consistently, outside of the occasional fluke. Cowher will, at the very least, bring that toughness. They will throw everything at him, he has ties to the area, and he very much understands the teams in the division. Honestly, I can't come up with a reason he won't take it.

Shawn
11-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I will say again...this won't happen. Cowher will not be a pimp for hire...at least not for the Browns. Why would a HoF coach...risk his image by coaching a division rival of the Steelers? That would cheapen his years in the Burgh...and make him a hated face in Pittsburgh. It just doesn't make sense. Some other team would be willing to shell out serious cash for Cowhers services if he really wants to coach again.

proudpittsburgher
11-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I will say again...this won't happen. Cowher will not be a pimp for hire...at least not for the Browns. Why would a HoF coach...risk his image by coaching a division rival of the Steelers? That would cheapen his years in the Burgh...and make him a hated face in Pittsburgh. It just doesn't make sense. Some other team would be willing to shell out serious cash for Cowhers services if he really wants to coach again.

Just out of curiosity, why would he be risking his image by coaching a division rival of the team he used to coach and how would it cheapen anything in his past? I understand the possibility of tarnishing his image if Cleveland tanks, but I think we all know he will make them better, maybe not SP contenders, but better nonetheless.

Shawn
11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
To coach a Steeler rival is poor form. He will always be known as a Steeler and to switch sides makes him look like a man who will do anything for a buck. I'm telling you he will never coach the Browns. He will likely coach again...just not within our division. I even doubt he will coach in the AFC.

rpmpit
11-21-2008, 04:41 PM
To coach a Steeler rival is poor form. He will always be known as a Steeler and to switch sides makes him look like a man who will do anything for a buck. I'm telling you he will never coach the Browns. He will likely coach again...just not within our division. I even doubt he will coach in the AFC.

Shawn, while I hope you are right, the one thing that bothers me is Cowher's relationship with the Rooneys. He wanted more money, they wouldn't pay. So just maybe Cowher wants to try and prove to them they made a mistake. I don't know. Like I said, I hope you are right. But I bet some Giant diehards were saying Parcells would NEVER coach the Cowboys.

RKSteel
11-21-2008, 04:43 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27833751/

Ozey74
11-21-2008, 05:41 PM
I think Cowher was hoping to be the next coach of the Carolina Pathers. It will be hard for the Pathers to fire John Fox after this year since they are having some success.

I know this may sound cold, but all loyalty is thrown out the window whenever large amounts of $$ is involved. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Cowher was to go to Cleveland next year.

proudpittsburgher
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Yea, I get what you are saying, but I really think we put more into this rivalry stuff than coaches and most players do. There are a few players and coaches, Mike Tomlin and Joey Porter come to mind, who I think take that stuff into consideration and play up the rivalry part, btu for the most part, I don;t se guys like Cowher doing it. I really hope you are right about this. I know Cowher will make them better.

Shawn
11-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Yea, I get what you are saying, but I really think we put more into this rivalry stuff than coaches and most players do. There are a few players and coaches, Mike Tomlin and Joey Porter come to mind, who I think take that stuff into consideration and play up the rivalry part, btu for the most part, I don;t se guys like Cowher doing it. I really hope you are right about this. I know Cowher will make them better.

You certainly could be right but you never see a top Steeler FA sign with a division rival. I can't remember one. There must be a reason for that.

Iron Shiek
11-21-2008, 07:25 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27833751/

Thanks for finding the link. I don't feel as interested in this story now that I realize they are simply citing Profootballtalk.com as their source. Granted Florio has some good sources, but 50% of the time he is just speculating and stirring rumors. I still read him though because he gets some good scoops at times...

stlrz d
11-21-2008, 08:07 PM

Shawn, while I hope you are right, the one thing that bothers me is Cowher's relationship with the Rooneys. He wanted more money, they wouldn't pay. So just maybe Cowher wants to try and prove to them they made a mistake. I don't know. Like I said, I hope you are right. But I bet some Giant diehards were saying Parcells would NEVER coach the Cowboys.

Despite the money issue I still don't think Cowher would ever do that to the Rooney family.

Honestly, every time I hear him talk about it he gushes about how much he loves his TV gig and how much time it gives him with his family. I don't think he'll even consider coaching again until his youngest is in college...and even then he still may not come back.

He's made a ton of money, probably invested it wisely and is a lock for the HoF...what does he have to prove?

AkronSteel
11-21-2008, 08:59 PM

You certainly could be right but you never see a top Steeler FA sign with a division rival. I can't remember one. There must be a reason for that.

Carnell Lake and Deon Figures signed with Jax back in the day and O Roye signed with the Browns....oh wait Earl Holmes did too....either way I still don't think that Cowher goes to Cleveland....he will have many opportunities other than the Browns!

ramblinjim
11-21-2008, 09:52 PM
How about Cowher to Kansas City? He coached there before, how much longer can they go without a coaching change?

Shawn
11-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Carnell Lake and Deon Figures signed with Jax back in the day and O Roye signed with the Browns....oh wait Earl Holmes did too....either way I still don't think that Cowher goes to Cleveland....he will have many opportunities other than the Browns!

Jax is a conference "rival" not a division rival. I can't remember one player that was known as a HoF/or even a monster player going to any team in our division. I'm sorry but Roye and an aging Holmes doesn't count. Can you imagine Ben, Ward or Troy going to the Browns? It would never happen unless the Rooneys seriously pissed them off. It's the same with Cowher. This deal will never happen.

Jooser
11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Nothing stopped the Big Tuna from coaching Dallas after all those years in New York. But, that's the Tuna, we'll see if Cowher has any more class.

ANPSTEEL
11-22-2008, 03:39 PM
i just can not see cowher taking that job.

if you list what we believe his criteria are:

- close to family
- team close to being a winner
- control over personell
- big $$$
- not in AFC North
lastly
- high profile team
(this is a bit of a stretch, but i think valid- if BC would consider coming back into the league- he'd want to go to a team that could "improve" his legacy.)

so what teams fit these criteria

NYG
NYJ
WAS
PHI

who else???

here are a few teams that don't meet all criteria, but may have need for a coach.
JAX (probably not in 2009 but maybe 2010)
DAL
SD
STL/ (moving to LA)
CLE

So, of all of those teams-

lets assume all teams are willing to pay $8+ mil p/yr
and each team gives "final call" on personnel

PHI- meets most criteria - big question is: are they close to being a winner?
Verdict: could happen- if Bill is ready to come back next season.

JAX- a little far a way from home, and small market- but another perfect fit "teamwise"- if Del Rio gets canned.
Verdict: also possible- mainly because the job won't be open for a year or two- Bill may be "ready" to come back then.

DAL- Jerry Jones would throw a bunch of $$$ at him. this job offers the most "exposure". Team is close to winning- Cowher would give T.O. the boot.- biggest problem is distance, and Jerry Jones.
Verdict: Jerry would have to throw Bill a ton of $$$- I think this is tempting- but ultimately bill wouldn't take it, due to the meddling by JJ.

SD- I think Bill would LOVE to coach san diego- but don't see him moving out west- while his daughters are in school.
Verdict: he wants it, but can he make the move out west. dont think so-

STL- i think that team will move to LA in the next couple years. Aside from 'distance', this team is likely a ways off from being a winner. dont see Bill here.
Verdict: team problems make this the most unattractive of all.

CLE- This team meets most criteria. but weighing the "distance" factor against the lack of exposure- coupled with the fact he'd be coaching directly against Pitt- makes this one of the least likely, IMO.
Verdict: if Bill hadn't played and coached for the Browns previously, i'd say "no chance"... even so, not likely.

IMO- If BC is back in 2009- it is to Philly

stlrz d
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I think this will be the logo for Cowher's team in 2009:

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_imagearticle1570.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Jax is a conference "rival" not a division rival. I can't remember one player that was known as a HoF/or even a monster player going to any team in our division. I'm sorry but Roye and an aging Holmes doesn't count. Can you imagine Ben, Ward or Troy going to the Browns? It would never happen unless the Rooneys seriously pissed them off. It's the same with Cowher. This deal will never happen.

Wasn't that back in the old AFC Central Days when the Jaguars and Oilers/Titans were still in our division?

buckeyehoppy
11-23-2008, 09:57 AM
i just can not see cowher taking that job.

if you list what we believe his criteria are:

- close to family
- team close to being a winner
- control over personell
- big $$$
- not in AFC North
lastly
- high profile team
(this is a bit of a stretch, but i think valid- if BC would consider coming back into the league- he'd want to go to a team that could "improve" his legacy.)

so what teams fit these criteria

NYG
NYJ
WAS
PHI

who else???

here are a few teams that don't meet all criteria, but may have need for a coach.
JAX (probably not in 2009 but maybe 2010)
DAL
SD
STL/ (moving to LA)
CLE

So, of all of those teams-

lets assume all teams are willing to pay $8+ mil p/yr
and each team gives "final call" on personnel

PHI- meets most criteria - big question is: are they close to being a winner?
Verdict: could happen- if Bill is ready to come back next season.

JAX- a little far a way from home, and small market- but another perfect fit "teamwise"- if Del Rio gets canned.
Verdict: also possible- mainly because the job won't be open for a year or two- Bill may be "ready" to come back then.

DAL- Jerry Jones would throw a bunch of $$$ at him. this job offers the most "exposure". Team is close to winning- Cowher would give T.O. the boot.- biggest problem is distance, and Jerry Jones.
Verdict: Jerry would have to throw Bill a ton of $$$- I think this is tempting- but ultimately bill wouldn't take it, due to the meddling by JJ.

SD- I think Bill would LOVE to coach san diego- but don't see him moving out west- while his daughters are in school.
Verdict: he wants it, but can he make the move out west. dont think so-

STL- i think that team will move to LA in the next couple years. Aside from 'distance', this team is likely a ways off from being a winner. dont see Bill here.
Verdict: team problems make this the most unattractive of all.

CLE- This team meets most criteria. but weighing the "distance" factor against the lack of exposure- coupled with the fact he'd be coaching directly against Pitt- makes this one of the least likely, IMO.
Verdict: if Bill hadn't played and coached for the Browns previously, i'd say "no chance"... even so, not likely.

IMO- If BC is back in 2009- it is to Philly

A lot to chew on here, ANP, but good stuff nonetheless.

Two other scenarios that could play out would be Kansas City and Detroit.

While I've said in the past that Cowher wouldn't want a rebuild, he would have good leverage in KC, where he has a history as well, and tremendous leverage in Detroit, where the Kitties are a public relations nightmare and Bill Ford either needs to sell or make big waves with a proven coach.

If he were to take the Detroit gig, I'd bet that he could demand $10M+, and get it, if Ford is desperate enough to put a winner on the field. Right now, the Lions are running fifth in a four team race (if you include the sports at scUM) in the Detroit Metro area. If it is handled right, Cowher could have that team in a position to win big in as little as three years if he controlled the entire operation. That's something he never even came close to in Pittsburgh.

KC is a different story, but I could see Cowher working some magic there if he could convince Peterson to give him the reins of GM, PPD and HC.

He will not take the Clowns job for many of the reasons that Shawn has already extrapolated upon. Besides, why would he take the Clowns job only to be HC? He could have far greater control on many of the teams that may be looking this off-season. The Clowns would have to launch both Crennel and Savage. Crennel would be easy, since I think he only has a year left on his present deal. Savage, OTOH, I believe signed an extension in the off-season. If the Clowns were to fire him, they would likely owe him for the rest of his deal. That could be risky with the pending termination of the CBA the season after next.

stlrz d
11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I think this will be the logo for Cowher's team in 2009:

Adam Scheffter (sp?) just reported on NFLN (again) that Cowher said he will not return to coaching in 2009.

buckeyehoppy
11-23-2008, 11:41 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3vi8iy5i]I think this will be the logo for Cowher's team in 2009:

Adam Scheffter (sp?) just reported on NFLN (again) that Cowher said he will not return to coaching in 2009.[/quote:3vi8iy5i]

I do believe that your prediction is the correct one, sir stlrz d.

RuthlessBurgher
11-23-2008, 12:44 PM
KC is a different story, but I could see Cowher working some magic there if he could convince Peterson to give him the reins of GM, PPD and HC.

Considering Carl Peterson is the GM of the Chiefs and not the owner, I doubt Carl would be the one to try to convince Cowher to take over his own job. However, Lamar Hunt's son Clark might decide he wants to replace both Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards if he is not happy with the progress of their rebuilding project.