PDA

View Full Version : More important to stop the pass than the run?

SteelTorch
11-19-2008, 08:43 PM
In light of the comments made by Parker recently, I was wondering. In today's game, do you feel it's more important to be able to:

A) Run the ball and stop the run
or
B) To pass the ball and stop the pass?

Both are very important, but which would you think has the upper hand?

In my opinion, it's more important these days to stop the pass and pass the ball. "Steelers" football, running the ball and throwing when you have to, is outdated. It's no coincidence that that mentality got us only 1 SB since the 70's. The game today favors the pass more, and it is through the pass that a team usually can put more points on the board. Likewise, stopping the pass really slows down their offense. Teams that can pass the ball well historically are more successful teams.

Before you bring up the Steelers of the 70's, I know we ran more, but Terry Bradshaw even had to step up in the big games if we wanted to win. Plus, we had help from a historical defense. Plus, it's also no coincidence that our defense is performing better with the addition of Woodley (a better pass rusher) and a healthy Polamalu/Clark.

What are your thoughts? Discuss.

AkronSteel
11-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I know that this will sound like a cop-out but really it is a mixture of both. You have to be able to run the ball and rush the passer. Yes, passing has become more prolific and more a part of the game, but ultimately if you can't run the ball you can't win a championship. You really have to go back only to last year where the Pats were undefeated and lived off their passing game. When the SB came around they could not control the ball with the run and it let the Giants hang around because the pass rush of the Giants was able to continuously get to Marsha to stop drives.....teams that cannot run the ball will have no balance...which will ultimately kill them. A strong running game will open up play action and a quick strike game. Passing teams only way of running is to spread the field and find seams, they never are able to just line up and smash it at you.

:2c

SteelTorch
11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I know that this will sound like a cop-out but really it is a mixture of both. You have to be able to run the ball and rush the passer. Yes, passing has become more prolific and more a part of the game, but ultimately if you can't run the ball you can't win a championship. You really have to go back only to last year where the Pats were undefeated and lived off their passing game. When the SB came around they could not control the ball with the run and it let the Giants hang around because the pass rush of the Giants was able to continuously get to Marsha to stop drives.....teams that cannot run the ball will have no balance...which will ultimately kill them. A strong running game will open up play action and a quick strike game. Passing teams only way of running is to spread the field and find seams, they never are able to just line up and smash it at you.

:2c
That's not my point. I know you have to do both, but which is more important of the two? IMO, being able to pass well and stop the pass is more important of the two. You might think the opposite is true, but teams that can actually do that historically have been more successful (and won more championships).

Even so-called running teams usually have to benefit from good QB play if they want to go far. Giants are a great example. What was the defining play of that SB? A pass. The immaculate reception? A pass. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2008, 09:57 PM
There are 3 teams in the NFL with a better record than us right now. The Titans, the Giants, and the Panthers. A combined 27-3 record. What do they have in common? They pound the rock. Chris Johnson, LenDale White, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw, DaAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart. We are right behind them...imagine if Willie and Rashard were both healthy all season?

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 11:15 PM
There are 3 teams in the NFL with a better record than us right now. The Titans, the Giants, and the Panthers. A combined 27-3 record. What do they have in common? They pound the rock. Chris Johnson, LenDale White, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw, DaAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart. We are right behind them...imagine if Willie and Rashard were both healthy all season?

Argh. An hour too late, but RB made my point. Completely :Agree .

Its still running the ball and stopping the run as those teams are pretty brutal run d's.

EDIT: After I submitted, I thought about the Bears. They can stop the run and run well, but they have a mediocre record. Grossman has had to play which doesn't help, but this seems to refute my comments.

So Maybe it is a bit of both... :? :?:

steelblood
11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Running the ball and stopping the run "outdated"?

Don't tell Tennessee.

SteelerNation1
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Look at the last 5 SB Champs.

2007- NYG, great running game, decent stopping the run
2006-IND, decent running game, hideous vs the run(at least until Sanders came back)
2005-PIT, great running game (although Ben won it for us), great stopping the run
2004-NE, average at best running game, above average stopping the run
2003-NE, see above

I don't think you need to "pound the rock." I think you need t5o be able to run when you HAVE to run. Late 4th etc. IMO, you have to be able to stop the run...that is #1.

proudpittsburgher
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
It's harder for Steelers fans to access this question, because our team has always been able to stop the run. The fact is, the Steelers can, at a minimum, limit the run without even trying, which allows us to put more resources toward covering the pass. There are many teams who's defense is only able to stop the run by putting 8 in the box, which opens them up for a hurtin' through the air. What I am getting at is each team is different. For the Steelers, right now, our defense should be more concerned with playing well against the pass than the run.