PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Chat

costanza2k1
11-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I know you missed it... :P

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James_Taipei: How do you see the Steelers last six games playing out? Which teams do you see the Steelers beating in the last six games?

Ed Bouchette: W -- Bengals, Dallas, Cleveland. L -- NE, Baltimore, Tenn

Terrible_Trousers: Easy Ed, Perhaps the big guy taking reps at practice DOES make a big difference. Ben looked like a different QB Sunday from recent performances. Do you feel, as I do, that even if they did not get in the end zone, there were some very positive signs about the offenses play?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, also some troubling ones -- the name of the game is to score touchdowns and they scored none. Sorry, but the Steelers used to laugh at offenses like that -- dink and dunk it all over the field and rarely score. now they have one of their own.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Should Hines Ward be worried about the Bengals retaliating for breaking the jaw of Keith Rivers? I sure hope the refs keep this game under control.

Ed Bouchette: No, I don't think Hines Ward should worry about Bengal retaliation. I wish the referees would merely make some correct calls for a change.

PhillySteel: Hi Ed. In reading Chuck Finder's article this morning it was revealed that Ron Pierera(sp.?) had and "amiable" conversation with Mr. Rooney. To your knowledge, was the penalty disparity discussed? That seemed to be a more significant issue rather than whether the spread was covered.

Ed Bouchette: No, I don't know what they talked about but I'll betcha the disparity was discussed.

hinestheman: Ed, Hines should make the Pro Bowl this year. I know he won't but he should. Does he have your vote?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, except I don't have a vote for the Pro Bowl.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: Was that one of the most amazing INT's you ever saw (the one Polumalu made)?

Ed Bouchette: Indeedy.

hinestheman: Ed, has Mike Tomlin sent some videos or at least a letter to the NFL denouncing the non holding calls on James Harrison? What the heck is going on?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know if he's sent videos, but I'm betting he's let them know his opinion.

Will_from_Freehold__NJ: In the immortal words of Allen Iverson, "Your talking about..practice." Coach Tomlin was "right-on" when he said Ben needed to practice. How do you think Ben will do with the short week of practice?

Ed Bouchette: Let's hope he practices. Remember, he did not practice much before he played at jacksonville and he threw for 309 yards and 3 TDs in that victory.

SuperJudd: Have you ever seen a player get held as frequently yet never see it called as has happened with James Harrison this season? Has the NFL considered that perhaps the fans prefer a well played - and correctly officiated - game instead of tons of points being put up? I don't know a single person that complains about lack of scoring, but I know a lot of people that complain about the poor officiating.

Ed Bouchette: It seems we're talking about this stuff more and more than we are the actual games, which is a shame. It's the NFL's fault.

Holdin__Harrison: Ed- Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any chance the zebra's start calling holding against whoever Harrison is pass rushing around or through? SilverBack is held every single time he pass rushes.

Ed Bouchette: The dead horse is starting to complain about the officiating.

JWOLFE: Is tieing the Bengals after 5 quarters (and only 13 points) worse than losing to them in 4?

Ed Bouchette: Losing is always worse than tying.

JWOLFE: I saw McFadden on the sideline last week. Can't he put a soft cast on the forearm and play?

Ed Bouchette: He won't play this week, but he might return vs. New England.

SuperJudd: What does the NFL plan to do about their officiating? There have been many blown calls that have impacted final scores and outcomes, and it seems many sports media outlets are starting to link NFL referees and gambling. If the NFL does nothing about this, it could really harm their popularity and credibility. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: The dead horse has a gun.

JWOLFE: Hi Ed! You can't tell me that a 13-to-1 penalty edge and a ref conference that OVERTURNS a replay booth call (can you even do that?) isn't the fishiest thing you've ever seen, can you?

Ed Bouchette: The fishiest thing I've ever seen was a squid that was hauled up on a boat when I was a kid.

adambomb300: Hi Ed! On Monday, Peter King wrote of the "sheer impossibility" of the fix being on, based on the last play being something that could never be planned out. What I haven't seen anyone talk about was the (spread covering) touchdown taken off the board due to a holding penalty. Any thoughts on that?

Ed Bouchette: yeah, it was a holding penalty. Problem was, they called no holding penalties against the Chargers and there were plenty of them.

Frank_TheTank45: Is Bryant McFadden ready to return to practice?

Ed Bouchette: He practiced a little last week but won't play this week.

Lamberts_Two_Teeth: Coach Tomlin made a statement after the Chargers game to the effect of "Looks like we may have found something in Gary Russell." Alluding to Russell's abillity to be the short yardage back. My questions is: Why did it take until week 10 for the coaches to "find" something out about a player? Why did it take a Willie Parker injury before they found that Mewelde Moore could play? Why are these coaches so bad at evaluating their own players?

Ed Bouchette: He must not read the Post-Gazette ... or this chat.

LAMBERT58: I actually thought B.A. called a good offensive game this week. What is your assessment?

Ed Bouchette: I talked to someone today to tell me the truth about the Chargers defense, not someone who works for the Steelers, but a knowledgable football man who watches tape. He said, indeed, SD played an "umbrella" defense with 3 deep safeties some times. The Chargers gave up a lot of space in the middle of the field and the Steelers took it.

Frank_TheTank45: Matt Spaeth looked pretty good in the game. Do they plan on keeping him part of the passing game when Miller is healthy?

Ed Bouchette: I'd rather see Heath Miller play a bigger part of the passing game, myself.

Frank_TheTank45: How did William Gay look in his 1st start? Does Anthony Smith play much in the nickle or dime?

Ed Bouchette: Gay did all right -- it helped that Philip Rivers played poorly and there was pressure on him from the pass rush.

Frank_TheTank45: How did William Gay look in his 1st start? Does Anthony Smith play much in the nickle or dime?

Ed Bouchette: And, no, Anthony Smith plays only when someone else is hurt, for the most part, besides special teams.

LAMBERT58: Do you think Gary Russell will get more chances on short yardage situations?

Ed Bouchette: Yes.

Steeler_fan_in_Cen_CA: Ed, will Ike Taylor be available to shadow Mr Ocho Cinco, or will the dinged up secondary play the Bungles straight up?

Ed Bouchette: If you're going to shadow anyone this year, it should be TJ, not CJ.

Steeler_fan_in_Cen_CA: Ed, who will Tomlin use in short yardage situations on Thursday, Parker or Davis?

Ed Bouchette: How about Gary Russell?

Lefty_Leftwich: Ed, will Miller be back in the lineup for the game against the Bungles?

Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin said possibly, I'd guess no.

Steeler_fan_in_Cen_CA: Hi Ed, is the NFL, with it's fines and officiating, conspiring to stop the Steelers from winning a 6th super bowl?

Ed Bouchette: Yes. It's a deep conspiracy that goes back to 1963 when they made them play the game against the Bears after President Kennedy was shot and they tied.

Frank_TheTank45: Has LB Bruce Davis played any this year?

Ed Bouchette: A very tiny bit on special teams

pittsburghpete: Ed, another great defensive effort sunday. Do you think Dick Lebeau will finally get hall of fame consideration because of him being a great defensive coach? And why has he never received consideration because of his playing career which included 61 INTs?

Ed Bouchette: There's a conspiracy ... I wish Dick had gotten into the HOF, I think he deserves it. Assistant coaches, though, don't go in. He'll have to make it through the seniors committee, as a player.

Austin_Rhodes: Hello from the chilly South! Good to see Ben throwing in cold weather with no glove on his throwing hand -- is that a first? I think it needed to be.

Ed Bouchette: Hello, Austin. It's a little more than chilly up here. I think Ben's just trying to keep everyone guessing. Also, he told me he wears it only when it's cold and wet. Go figure.

Katmandu: Ed, what is the status of the injured going in to Thursday? Can we expect McFadden and Miller back in the line up? What about Townsend and Marvel Smith? Any new injuries?

Ed Bouchette: McFadden, Townsend, Marvel Smith -- out. Miller, likely out although Tomlin saidit's possible he could play.

wheres_the_bus: Ed, anything enlightening from the presser?

Ed Bouchette: I wore my blue corduroy sports jacket with the patch on the elbows. Other than that, not really much said other than the injury updates and Mike Tomlin making the Bengals sound as if they just won the Super Bowl.

wheres_the_bus: Ed, any concern over lack of touchdowns?

Ed Bouchette: There should be. You have to get that baby into the end zone, otherwise it's like dribbling down court in a basketball game and missing the hoop.

chooch79: Were you surprised that Tomlin opted for the long FG try by Reed early in the game?

Ed Bouchette: Very much so. I would have gone for the first down. Given a second option, I would have punted. Given a third, I would have told Ben to throw an interception deep.

Phoenix_Steeler: Hey Ed, did you lose money on the blown point spread?

Ed Bouchette: I don't bet.

jhaugjr: At some point with so many walking wounded, can we expect to see Marvel Smith placed on IR?

Ed Bouchette: They must believe there's a chance he'll play at some point or otherwise he'd be there. I asked Mike Tomlin today if he would have back surgery and he said he didn't know.

rawdeal33: I know players and coaches won't comment on the record regarding officiating, but did you get any indication from players/coaches whether they thought the Steelers' play was just sloppier or whether the officials were the sloppy ones?

Ed Bouchette: Privately, they are livid about the officials.

NoVa_Stiller: Ed-In your opinion is Hines Ward a HOFer?

Ed Bouchette: yes, but it does not mean he will be voted in. I've seen too many worth candidates not make it.

rbird: Ed, your a pretty smart guy. You predicted 8 - 3 after the Bengals game and I think you are going to be right. Ever go to Vegas?

Ed Bouchette: The only time I've been in Vegas was the airport to make a connection to Oakland, I believe -- you talk about a place to make a connection, wow!

JL58: Hey Ed, Do you think Hines Ward has a target on him this week?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, it looks like the number "86."

Imperioli: How much longer does Bruce Arians have before Tomlin finally gets rid of him? I miss the days of Mularky and Whisenhunt.

Ed Bouchette: And I miss how everyone has memory lapses. Those 2 coordinators were ripped as well.

rbird: Hello Ed, I never saw the pass interference on Ike Taylor that lead to I believe a touchdown on Sunday. Was it a horrible call?

Ed Bouchette: I initially thought it was a good call, but everyone says the receiver caused it.

Just_Call_Me_Bill_Parker: I thought the new short-yardage formation with Russell and Davis was great. An FB and the biggest HB, makes sense for short yards. Think it'll see more use, especially on the 1-yard line?

Ed Bouchette: Let's hope so.

rbird: Is there a chance we've seen the last Marvel Smith this season? Am I correct to assume his career is now in jeopardy?

Ed Bouchette: I would think both are possible, yes.

WoodleyIsAgod: Hey Ed, 410 net yards with 0 TD's, 13-1 in penalties, first ever 11-10 game and a "misinterpreted" rule at the end. Mind numbing. Ever seen anything like it? P.S. I think the Refs took the under ...

Ed Bouchette: No, never saw anything like it. Seen some other great things though, things that happened beyond a football field, too.

rbird: Ed, Can you tell me why all these NFL teams (including Steelers) have fallen in love with the empty backfield on 3rd and short plays?

Ed Bouchette: It drives me nuts as well.

Jacque_Strap: Who would you take -- Greene-Lloyd or Harrison-Woodley?

Ed Bouchette: Good one. I need to think about that longer than give a quick answer.

Doc_Holliday: It has been reported that Dan Rooney has engaged Mike Pereira to discuss the game. How much influence does Dan have and is his influence unique among NFL owners?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I think he has more influence than most owners, but this has to come from the top, meaning the commish.

weinberg17: Easy Ed. FIrst time writer, long time reader. Can Steeler nation finally calm down with the Leftwich talk, and get back to believing that Big Ben is our franchise QB? Although many short passes, 31-41 is pretty impressive, right?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, but why would you want them to calm down. It's what they do. And how much fun would calming down be? This chat could not survive if they calmed down ... Hmm, come to think of it, why don't you all calm down.

SteelBusNole: Steelers Fan In Jacksonville here. I see the major problem on this team as the OL. How different an OL might this be next year? Aren't the Steelers going to have to go after at least 1 or 2 Free Agent OL? The draft won't help the OL next year.

Ed Bouchette: I don't think FA will help them much, plus they're not going to pay a gazillion dollars, which is what it would take to get somebody good. They need to find a Jeff Hartings, who'd be willing to change positions to come here, or a young guy who has not gotten a full chance yet. In other words, they need to get a little lucky. The line could lose M. Smith, Starks, Chris K. and Trai Essex, all UFAs after the season.

mgolden62: Ed your prediction puts them at 10-6. Is that good enough to win the division?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think baltimore will go 11-5 and I think the steelers would hold the division tie-breaker, so yes, 10-6 is enough.

Steelfan86: Do you think Harrison is the Defensive MVP at this point in the season?

Ed Bouchette: He has my vote -- and I DO have a vote in that one.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you for showing up on a short week. We'll be back next Tuesday of Thanksgiving week, for all you turkeys out there.
First published on November 18, 2008 at 2:55 pm

steelblood
11-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Ed is not funny. I wish he'd stop trying.

He spends more time trying to riff than answering questions or talking football. He puts about zero effort into that chat.

Shawn
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Not completely doucheless...but it was significantly less douchey.