PDA

View Full Version : Living Scared: Ben Roethlisberger

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
ESPN.com has a feature on Sean Taylor's shooting death and how players are becoming more aware about their personal protection (or fork stealing bandits :lol: ) Ben is one of the players spotlighted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3710978

Living Scared: Ben Roethlisberger

Ben Roethlisberger's public persona isn't limited to game days. The Steelers QB is a pitchman for Nike and a local car dealership—and his image adorns the bottle of his custom barbecue sauce. Which leaves Big Ben conflicted. Does his high profile give fans an invitation into his life? And if there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, where is it? With no easy answers, Roethlisberger, 26, is one of a growing number of players who uses bodyguards when going out. He says that, much like in a collapsing pocket, you sometimes can't tell what's coming until it's too late.

Olugbenro Ogunsemore (top) and Rainer Hosch

The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time.

Early on, my teammates were like, "Who does that rookie think he is?" Now guys are like, "Man, that was one of the smartest things you've ever done." And some of those same guys have actually gotten security people themselves. Having a bodyguard doesn't make you weak. I'm sure 99% of the guys in the NFL could take care of themselves in a fight. The issue is protecting yourself and what you have: your name, health, money. You're trying to save your life.

I do go to the younger, higher-profile guys on the team and just talk to them and tell them to be careful and to be smart. I keep my circle of friends real tight and real close and I don't just let anybody in.

You might go a whole lifetime and not encounter one thing. Or you may encounter 10 things in one weekend. You never know. Security doesn't mean a guy holding your hand as you're walking through a crowd. They're just there to keep an eye out. You've gotta interact with people. You have to shake hands, say hello, take pictures. You can't always be watching what people are doing behind you, and there's been more than one occasion when I was grateful to have a guy with me. Depending on the setting, you get guys who
just get really gutsy when they get a couple of drinks in them.

There's something about this that's so sad.

Why doesn't he just ask James Harrison to travel with him at all times and he will share some of that 100+ million.

James Harrison doesn't need body guards, body guards need James Harrison.

Jigawatts
11-19-2008, 03:12 PM
ESPN.com has a feature on Sean Taylor's shooting death and how players are becoming more aware about their personal protection (or fork stealing bandits :lol: ) Ben is one of the players spotlighted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3710978

Living Scared: Ben Roethlisberger

Ben Roethlisberger's public persona isn't limited to game days. The Steelers QB is a pitchman for Nike and a local car dealership—and his image adorns the bottle of his custom barbecue sauce. Which leaves Big Ben conflicted. Does his high profile give fans an invitation into his life? And if there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, where is it? With no easy answers, Roethlisberger, 26, is one of a growing number of players who uses bodyguards when going out. He says that, much like in a collapsing pocket, you sometimes can't tell what's coming until it's too late.

Olugbenro Ogunsemore (top) and Rainer Hosch

The one time I was scared the most, I didn't have anybody with me. I don't want to relive all the details, but this guy brandished a weapon in my face. I kept my cool and talked my way out of it. People showed up and helped get rid of the guy. That's when I decided to have someone with me all the time.

Early on, my teammates were like, "Who does that rookie think he is?" Now guys are like, "Man, that was one of the smartest things you've ever done." And some of those same guys have actually gotten security people themselves. Having a bodyguard doesn't make you weak. I'm sure 99% of the guys in the NFL could take care of themselves in a fight. The issue is protecting yourself and what you have: your name, health, money. You're trying to save your life.

I do go to the younger, higher-profile guys on the team and just talk to them and tell them to be careful and to be smart. I keep my circle of friends real tight and real close and I don't just let anybody in.

You might go a whole lifetime and not encounter one thing. Or you may encounter 10 things in one weekend. You never know. Security doesn't mean a guy holding your hand as you're walking through a crowd. They're just there to keep an eye out. You've gotta interact with people. You have to shake hands, say hello, take pictures. You can't always be watching what people are doing behind you, and there's been more than one occasion when I was grateful to have a guy with me. Depending on the setting, you get guys who
just get really gutsy when they get a couple of drinks in them.

There's something about this that's so sad.

Why doesn't he just ask James Harrison to travel with him at all times and he will share some of that 100+ million.

James Harrison doesn't need body guards, body guards need James Harrison.

Is this part of the Legend of James Harrison theme?

Time to start a thread about it.

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I've been hyping Harrison up all week in various threads...good thing you started a thread about it...now I can pour all of my Man-Crush powers into one thread...

Starlifter
11-19-2008, 07:40 PM
since I'm a pilot in real life allow me to give an aviation reference...

When James Harrison flies, the altimeter setting is 00.00. James Harrison is never under pressure

James Harrison has never landed with a cross-wind. the wind would never dare get cross with James Harrison

James Harrison doesn't shoot approaches, he kills them

James Harrison pushes his own aircraft off of the gate

If you become hypoxic during a flight, apologize to James Harrison and ask him to remove his foot from your throat

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 11:29 PM
since I'm a pilot in real life allow me to give an aviation reference...

When James Harrison flies, the altimeter setting is 00.00. James Harrison is never under pressure

James Harrison has never landed with a cross-wind. the wind would never dare get cross with James Harrison

James Harrison doesn't shoot approaches, he kills them

James Harrison pushes his own aircraft off of the gate

If you become hypoxic during a flight, apologize to James Harrison and ask him to remove his foot from your throat

:Clap :lol: :lol: Awesome Starlifter....those need to be added to the Legend thread...!

phillyesq
11-20-2008, 01:12 AM
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be about the offensive line.

Iron Shiek
11-20-2008, 10:05 AM
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be about the offensive line.

Ha funny. You would think the Steelers would let him bring his body guards onto the field...then he might get some better protection. There is the "too many men on the field" issue though...not to mention "illegal brandishing of firearms"...I don't think the refs would let that fly.