PDA

View Full Version : Steelers getting healthy

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Heath likely to play...sweet! BMac is practicing but won't play likely. Tomlin says team is in relatively good health and they came out of Sunday pretty good (for a change).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08324/928947-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Smith's ailing back still unresolved
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Offensive tackle Marvel Smith will miss his sixth consecutive game tomorrow, but he and the Steelers' doctors are still trying to determine whether he should have back surgery.

Smith had a diskechtomy in December to remove a herniated disk in his lower back that was jammed against a nerve. He said this spring that he felt great because of the surgery. But he left in the fourth quarter of the Steelers' game Oct. 5 at Jacksonville and has not played since.

Coach Mike Tomlin has said his recent back problems are not related to last year's.

"Marvel is still status quo," Tomlin said yesterday. Asked if he were going to have surgery, the coach said, "I don't know at this point."

Max Starks will make his sixth start tomorrow at left tackle in place of Smith.

Miller's return likely
Tight end Heath Miller likely will return to play against the Cincinnati Bengals after missing the past two games with a high ankle sprain.

Miller went through a full practice yesterday and is not on the injury report this week.

He would be the only player to return from the injured. Cornerbacks Bryant McFadden and Deshea Townsend remain out, although McFadden is practicing and shooting for a possible return next week.

"Really, we're a team in relatively good health at this time," Tomlin said. "We came out of Sunday evening's game pretty good."

Parker's short-yardage use
Willie Parker said after Sunday's game that he was not used in their one goal-line situation and in two short-yardage tries in the second half because the Steelers were trying to protect his injured shoulder.

Tomlin laughed about that one.

"I didn't have that conversation with Willie Parker. Maybe his running-back coach did. I am for ringing up the scoreboard, and if Willie can get in there, I am going to hand it to him."

Baker on practice squad
Wide receiver Dallas Baker, cut by the Steelers Saturday so they could add rookie defensive back Roy Williams to the roster, was signed to the practice squad.

First published on November 19, 2008 at 12:00 am

Oviedo
11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
If Heath plays I think I hope they keep it very limited and give him another 10 days to get well. We need him for the upcoming games--not so much for the Bumgals.

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm excited to see Heath back in there. Especially since it seems (after the Chargers game) that BA finally realized it was legal to throw to the TE.

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm glad Marvel only had a diskechtomy and not a discectomy. Spellchecker broken, Ed?

And I sure hope we didn't add defensive back Roy Williams.

Even though he has multiple Pro Bowls with the Cowboys, he sucks out loud.

I'm assuming Bouchette is mixing up the 2 undrafted DB's we brought to camps this year, Roy Lewis and Travis Williams. Maybe we sign Travis Lewis next.

Nice job, Ed. Only two gaffes this time. :HeadBanger

MeetJoeGreene
11-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm excited to see Heath back in there. Especially since it seems (after the Chargers game) that BA finally realized it was legal to throw to the TE.

Whether it was BA or Ben, I don't know - but I hope it "sticks".