PDA

View Full Version : Willie wants the rock...

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Excerpt from a "fantasy" article.

Willie Parker said Monday that he'd like to see Pittsburgh get back to focusing on running the ball, opining that the team didn't play "Steelers football" until late in Sunday's one-point win over San Diego. Parker gained 115 yards on 25 carries, so it's tough to say that the Steelers weren't running plenty against the Chargers, but generally speaking he has a point.

Over the past decade the Steelers led the league in rushing attempts three times and ranked among the top five four other times. During that 10-season span they averaged at least 30 carries per game eight times and never ran fewer than 28 times per game. That has changed this season, as the Steelers rank just 15th in the league with an average of 27.6 carries per game.

Some of the decreased emphasis on the running game is no doubt due to Parker missing five games with injuries, but for the most part Mewelde Moore was very effective filling in and Ben Roethlisberger's ongoing shoulder problems would've made scaling back the passing game a smart move. Now that Parker is healthy again the Steelers have a chance to get back to their smash-mouth roots.

Expect at least 30-35 runs this week against the Bengals, who've allowed 131.1 rushing yards per game this season to rank 23rd in the league. "Just keep calling run plays," Parker advised Monday. "The defense knows we're about to run and they can't stop it. That's Steeler football to me." He looks like a solid RB1 option this week for the first time in a while, and even Moore isn't a bad RB3 play.

While Parker tries for his fourth 100-yard game in six tries this season, here are some other notes from around football …

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I got to thinking after reading this that, as much as I like FWP and I think he is playing much better this year (more heart) - if he doesn't tone it down a bit they're going to change the number on his jersey to Ocho Cinco.

stlrz d
11-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I got to thinking after reading this that, as much as I like FWP and I think he is playing much better this year (more heart) - if he doesn't tone it down a bit they're going to change the number on his jersey to Ocho Cinco.

Ftr, he said they should run the ball more, not that he personally should have more carries.

Willie ain't like that!

phillyesq
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I like and mostly agree with what Parker said.

I'd like to see the Steelers get more smash mouth. I'd like to see them line up on 3rd and 1 and have confidence that they'll convert. I'd like to see them abandon the shotgun on 3rd and 2. And I'd like to see them run the ball more. The Steelers always seem to be able to run over the bengals at will. I'd like to see that continue on Thursday.

steelblood
11-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Here is the problem.

Smash mouth and 30-40 rushes is fine against Cincinnati and maybe Cleveland.

We will not be able to play smash mouth football against Baltimore or Tennessee. Not with this o-line.

stlrz d
11-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I like and mostly agree with what Parker said.

I'd like to see the Steelers get more smash mouth. I'd like to see them line up on 3rd and 1 and have confidence that they'll convert. I'd like to see them abandon the shotgun on 3rd and 2. And I'd like to see them run the ball more. The Steelers always seem to be able to run over the bengals at will. I'd like to see that continue on Thursday.

Even if they still plan to throw on 3rd and two I would like to see them ditch the shotgun. If Ben lines up under center the D still has to think run. If he's in the shotgun, especially with an empty backfield, then not so much.