PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin on Russell

Iron Shiek
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
THE NEWS
Gary Russell successfully converted two third-and-short situations in Sunday's win over the Chargers, and coach Mike Tomlin said Russell could continue to excel in that role, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Tomlin added, "Maybe we found something with Gary Russell. We will see. I think that based upon what he showed us in this football game, he is a strong candidate for that."

Lets see more of him please! Maybe we will get a few more 3rd and 1's to extend drives and score at the goalline. I still want to see some creativity at the goalline though, like the swing pass to Hines...

Shawn
11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
This is certainly the role that I envisioned him in..."Goaline Gary". I really think the only thing holding him back is lack of opportunity.

Jooser
11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
This is certainly the role that I envisioned him in..."Goaline Gary". I really think the only thing holding him back is lack of opportunity.

:tt2 :tt2 Nice.

Iron Shiek
11-18-2008, 10:53 PM
LOL at Goalline Gary...it sounds like some Sesame Street or Nickelodeon character...

Shawn
11-18-2008, 10:59 PM
LOL at Goalline Gary...it sounds like some Sesame Street or Nickelodeon character...

:lol:

Children...Goaline Gary wears a special helmet. :D

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Don't stare :nono :lol:

BTW, you were apparently right about GR. How sad is it that something you knew a while back is just becoming apparent to the Steelers??

stlrz d
11-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Goaline Gary sports his special "throwback" helmet as he discusses his new role on the team with his agent.

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/images/crank_yankers.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
This Gary has a pretty strong helmet as well. Russell's a bit quicker than a sea snail, though. And most of us, like Spongebob, have been asking "Where's Gary?" for much of the season. Folks who spend gameday in the chatroom can add the *meow* for every one of Gary's runs. :lol:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lGgot7tvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Shawn
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM

BTW, you were apparently right about GR. How sad is it that something you knew a while back is just becoming apparent to the Steelers??

I think they seen the same thing...and it's the reason they kept him around. The more concerning question is if they did indeed know this about Russell why haven't they been using him. His power, vision and straight ahead running style IMO are very apparent. It had to be why they kept him.

So, is Tomlin just a hard ass with young players? I mean Timmons should have been on the field LONG ago. Woodley should have started last season...Mendenhall should have been getting alot more carries...Davis is a total beast and has yet to see the field. It does make one wonder.

Shawn
11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Goaline Gary sports his special "throwback" helmet as he discusses his new role on the team with his agent.

Now that is funny.

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Now that is funny.

YAY!!! :lol:

Shawn
11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
RB...lol...I love the idea of adding a meow to the chat everytime Russell runs. :)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
If the field gets sloppy tonight, Russell's running style should be the most productive. I'm predicting, Gary Russell scores his first NFL TD on goaline tonight...And when that happens, the motor just turned over!!!

eniparadoxgma
11-21-2008, 12:57 AM

Yup, good call. However, there are quite a few things similar I could say about other issues. Problem is, I don't know if that speaks to our football knowledge or our team's coaching...

For example, for how long were we all saying we needed to start running quicker passing plays with shorter drops? Quick slants, etc?

How long were we saying that FWP was right in saying he runs better with a FB? We're still saying it.

How long were we saying to get the TEs involved more in the passing game?

How long were we saying that our O-Line backups seem to be better than the original starters?

I think we're just some knowledgeable mofos, personally. :Beer

Shawn
11-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Yup, good call. However, there are quite a few things similar I could say about other issues. Problem is, I don't know if that speaks to our football knowledge or our team's coaching...

For example, for how long were we all saying we needed to start running quicker passing plays with shorter drops? Quick slants, etc?

How long were we saying that FWP was right in saying he runs better with a FB? We're still saying it.

How long were we saying to get the TEs involved more in the passing game?

How long were we saying that our O-Line backups seem to be better than the original starters?

I think we're just some knowledgeable mofos, personally. :Beer

I know I am biased but we do have some guys that know what they are talking about. I think you bring up a great example...the passing game is a big example of how our members "got it" before Arians. GRus...has always run hard. He picks a soft spot and runs to it with authority. He keeps his legs moving and falls foward. He is a protypical powerback. You don't have to be 250 pounds and be named Bettis to be able to get 3-4 tough yards.

Djfan
11-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Now that is funny.

OK, repost the image.

Discipline of Steel
11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
So, in summary, Russell has shown a little something to contribute on kick returns and as a short yardage back. I think he is a definate keeper at this point, he has taken Davenports old role.

Shawn
11-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Now that is funny.

OK, repost the image.

???

ramblinjim
11-21-2008, 10:03 PM
SMG has been preaching the Goal Line Gary gospel for a long time now. Maybe Tomlin came on the board and listened. Let's see how many throws we make to Miller next week against New England and those old (and on really good looking rookie) linebackers.

Djfan
11-22-2008, 05:26 AM

Now that is funny.

OK, repost the image.

???

I've gone to this thread a few times on two different computers and couldn't see the pic. It's there this time. Go figure.

Shawn
11-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Ahh ok gotcha. :)