PDA

View Full Version : BIG BEN THINKS HALF THE LEAGUE DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT TIES

Iron Shiek
11-18-2008, 05:31 PM
This is hilarious. Even funnier are some of the comments at the bottom of the blog...here is a sample:

What did all these idiots think the ‘T’ stood for after the Win/Loss column? Do they look at the league standings? There was a tie just six years ago…how is it possible for players to not know this?

What a bunch of idiots.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/18/big-ben-thinks-half-the-league-didnt-know-about-ties/

BIG BEN THINKS HALF THE LEAGUE DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT TIES
Posted by Mike Florio on November 18, 2008, 3:20 p.m. EST
In an admission that tells us far more about the extent to which NFL players care about the sport they play than we ever wanted to know, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger believes that 50 percent of his colleagues didn’t know that an NFL game could end in a tie.

The issue came to the forefront in the wake of stunning comments from Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, after Philly and Cincinnati finished Sunday’s game in a 13-13 deadlock.

“People are making too big of a deal of this,” Roethlisberger said, according to our pal Tim Benz of WXDX in Pittsburgh. “They’re being too hard on Donovan. I’d bet you fifty percent of the league didn’t know that at the time. You’d be surprised. People seem to think that the quarterback should know it all, and that everyone should know that stuff. And it’s not necessarily true. Because who ever thinks of that situation? How often does it ever come up? And the rules change so often that you never know what happens.”

Um. OK. So, basically, Ben didn’t know it, either.

And receiver Hines Ward apparently didn’t know about sister-kissing until the Steelers and Falcons played to a tie in 2002.

“I thought we just played until we had a winner,” Ward said. “It’s kind of weird now that you can tie ball games.”

Yeah, it’s weird. Tie games have only been part of the NFL since 1920.

stlrz d
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately, Mike Florio's speculation that Ben didn't know will probably be taken as fact.

The guy comes up with some good info sometimes...but he's still a douche.

Shawn
11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Ben probably didn't know.

stlrz d
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I actually just saw the clip of the interview with Ben on NFLN. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he knew.

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I actually just saw the clip of the interview with Ben on NFLN. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he knew.

Yeah, this was just Ben trying to defend McNabb's stupidity. Unfortunately, now Ben will also be perceived as a moron. He should have just kept his mouth shut on this one.

RussBII
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM

Yeah, this was just Ben trying to defend McNabb's stupidity. Unfortunately, now Ben will also be perceived as a moron. He should have just kept his mouth shut on this one.

As much as I love Ben i don't think anyone was waiting in line to hand him a Mensa application. He's always gonna be labeled a "moron" just because of the motorcycle thing.

Personally, I just care about his football skills....

...and that he did better than Vince Young on the Wonderlic.

Iron Shiek
11-19-2008, 09:55 AM

As much as I love Ben i don't think anyone was waiting in line to hand him a Mensa application. He's always gonna be labeled a "moron" just because of the motorcycle thing.

:shock: My 6 year old boy....and my dog...could do better than Vincenzo on that thing...

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Gotta disagree. The motorcycle thing was an accident. Was it dumb not to wear a helmet?? Sure it was. But one mistake doesn't necessarily make you a moron.

I think most football players, especially qbs have to have a certain level of intelligence just to function in these complex systems. And Ben usually comes across as a bright, decent young man. Again, he was just trying to defend McNabb. Its like him saying his o-line played great after a game where he was sacked 15 times.

RussBII
11-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Gotta disagree. The motorcycle thing was an accident. Was it dumb not to wear a helmet?? Sure it was. But one mistake doesn't necessarily make you a moron.

I think most football players, especially qbs have to have a certain level of intelligence just to function in these complex systems. And Ben usually comes across as a bright, decent young man. Again, he was just trying to defend McNabb. Its like him saying his o-line played great after a game where he was sacked 15 times.

You have no disagreement from me at all. I don't think Ben's an idiot. You questioned how most fans will perceive him after his comment. I think that most of the slack jawed mouth breathing fans of other teams probably see Ben as a little less than bright. So I can't imagine this will change their perception much.

I know they are wrong. You know they are wrong, and to top matters off they aren't even cool enough to be a fan of the Steelers...

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 10:30 AM

You have no disagreement from me at all. I don't think Ben's an idiot. You questioned how most fans will perceive him after his comment. I think that most of the slack jawed mouth breathing fans of other teams probably see Ben as a little less than bright. So I can't imagine this will change their perception much.

I know they are wrong. You know they are wrong, and to top matters off they aren't even cool enough to be a fan of the Steelers...

Oh, I got ya. Sorry I misunderstood your point :oops:

So true that we are the coolest fans EVER :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

RussBII
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
So true that we are the coolest fans EVER :tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

Which begs the questions:

Are we cool because we are Steelers fans?
Or are Steelers fans cool because of us?

It boggles the mind...

phillyesq
11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately, Mike Florio's speculation that Ben didn't know will probably be taken as fact.

The guy comes up with some good info sometimes...but he's still a douche.

Agree. Florio has great information, but his speculation and attempts to stir up controversy where none exists gets old.

Shawn
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Ben's wonderlic was a 25. That puts him at about average for a QB in the NFL. Peyton Manning also scored a 25...Brady scored a 33...Romo a 30...Palmer was a 26.

He is certainly football savy and is bright enough.

costanza2k1
11-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Not only does Ben protect his Oline when they screw up now he's protecting his peers across the league too.