PDA

View Full Version : NFL officiating is a disgrace to sports!

SteelTorch
11-17-2008, 01:02 PM
*rant warning*

You know, anyone who says we don't need full-time officials is an idiot. Last night's game was a prime example. Aside from the fact that they're not the brightest crayons in the box, it's even more sinister when you bring Vegas into the equation. You can call me paranoid, but I think it's naive to say that the NFL doesn't have at least a few bad seeds in its officiating crew.

And you know what's worse? They wouldn't care. These guys are part-time, meaning they have other jobs to do. If they were fired because of being corrupt, it wouldn't be the end of the world because this stuff is just a side project to them. A place to earn some extra cash. Moreso, you can't criticize them at all. If you do, you're instantly slapped with a $20,000 dollar fine. You get fined less for a dirty hit than opening your mouth. These guys aren't accountable for anything they do, except in the most extreme cases. Where's the logic in that?

If these guys were full-time, that would change everything. They would be accountable. They would have something to fear from getting fired, because that would be their whole career. They'd have to take their jobs a lot more seriously and have to be more professional about it. The NFL is the ONLY league without full-time officials, despite the fact that it's one of the hardest sports to officiate. But no, I doubt we'd ever see it because the league is just too damn cheap. They could easily afford it, but no, they need that extra $500,000 despite the fact that they're already multi-millionaires.

Goodell, Peirera and the entire leadership of the NFL are all a disgrace. I have nothing more to say beyond that. :?

papillon
11-17-2008, 01:15 PM
:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Goodell and Periera may be the bad seeds of which you speak. They are weak and poor leaders, period.

The officiating is a disgrace; and, this incident certainly has a rancid odor about it.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
The NFL leadership is allowing the refs to manipulate games like the refs in the NHL did up until a few years ago. They need to get this under control now.

Do you think that maybe the refs are punishing the Steelers because of their early season criticisms? How blatantly can holding calls against Woodley and Harrison be ignored on every play?????????

sd steel
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
*rant warning*

You know, anyone who says we don't need full-time officials is an idiot. Last night's game was a prime example. Aside from the fact that they're not the brightest crayons in the box, it's even more sinister when you bring Vegas into the equation. You can call me paranoid, but I think it's naive to say that the NFL doesn't have at least a few bad seeds in its officiating crew.

And you know what's worse? They wouldn't care. These guys are part-time, meaning they have other jobs to do. If they were fired because of being corrupt, it wouldn't be the end of the world because this stuff is just a side project to them. A place to earn some extra cash. Moreso, you can't criticize them at all. If you do, you're instantly slapped with a $20,000 dollar fine. You get fined less for a dirty hit than opening your mouth. These guys aren't accountable for anything they do, except in the most extreme cases. Where's the logic in that?

If these guys were full-time, that would change everything. They would be accountable. They would have something to fear from getting fired, because that would be their whole career. They'd have to take their jobs a lot more seriously and have to be more professional about it. The NFL is the ONLY league without full-time officials, despite the fact that it's one of the hardest sports to officiate. But no, I doubt we'd ever see it because the league is just too damn cheap. They could easily afford it, but no, they need that extra $500,000 despite the fact that they're already multi-millionaires.

Goodell, Peirera and the entire leadership of the NFL are all a disgrace. I have nothing more to say beyond that. :?

I agree the officiating sucks, but I don't get the whole "full-time" thing. They are paid between 75K and 150K per season. They work for about 20 weeks straight, then they either go work at their other businesses or relax the rest of the year. They are required to study the rules and rule changes year around, but they get paid for the games they officiate, and they are accountable to the NFL basically full time when the league is playing. Why would you want to pay them more for the other 32 weeks a year where they are sitting at home? They aren't gonna get any better, especially if their crooked.

kennyes
11-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Anybody, have Arlen Specter on speed dial and or email contact?

Oviedo
11-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Must read for all Steeler fans

NFL Degeneration Finally Being Noticed
by Ransom Redhawk (Member)

Editorial
November 18, 2008
There was a lot of discussion on Monday morning by Mike and Mike on ESPN about the ending of the Steelers' game last night, as well as the huge discrepancy in penalties called.

The Steelers were flagged 13 times for 115 yards vs. the Chargers, two penalties for five yards, and one of those flags coming on the last play of the game in order to nullify yet another Steeler TD.

According to Mike and Mike, it turns out there was over $100M bet on that game in Vegas. The money was over 2:1 for the Steelers, who were favored by five points. So, removing that last Steeler touchdown resulted in a $64M swing in favor of the bookies last night.

Golic made the interesting point that if something this flagrant took place in the NBA, they would be launching a congressional investigation, and he is right. This situation continues to draw a great deal of media attention today.

But it was even worse than that.

The Steelers had an earlier TD called back for the type of holding call that could legitimately be made on every play, and the Chargers' only TD resulted from a pass interference call on Taylor that CBS commentator Phil Simms observed shouldn't have been called at all, but that Taylor had position and if the call is made, it should have been against the receiver.

Forget the issue that the ball wasn't catchable anyway. The Steelers had over 36 minutes in time of possession, a 100-yard rusher, a 100-yard receiver, and over 300 yards passing from Big Ben. Yet, they could not score a single TD the entire game???

They did have two called back. The Steelers had one drive after another stalled out as the result of ticky-tacky penalties that negated nice gains, creating 3rd-and-long situations when they would have had 1st-and-10 situations. Three calls on Hines Ward alone and four on the special teams. The special-team calls resulted in the Steelers constantly starting from inside their 20, while SD was being set up near midfield all evening.

This situation continues to draw a great deal of media attention today. The direction the NFL is heading clearly has been drifting into the NBA-type toilet over the past few years, and they are getting so flagrant at this point that it is finally starting to attract some well-deserved attention from the media.

Sports writers are finally starting to notice disparities that have been blatantly obvious for some time. Last night was the most flagrant game fixing since the Steelers/Colts playoff game when they simply disallowed an obvious, late fourth-quarter interception by Troy Polamalu in a blatant attempt to keep their big money draw, Peyton Manning, active for a Super Bowl appearance.

RKSteel
11-18-2008, 03:40 PM
The officiating was horrible. Every time the Steelers were putting together a drive, out came the flag. Five men on the line, everyone's favorite holding.

It was amazing to me that the visiting team was only flagged twice. Especially when there was holding on every play.

Early in the game Aaron Smith turned to the ref with half his jersey pulled down off his shoulder pads looking for a flag, but of course there was none.

I'm not into the whole conspiracy thing, trying to do right for the Chargers after bad calls went against them, but these officals should be investigated.

buckeyehoppy
11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
The final score was 11-10, Steelers.

The REAL final score should have been 26-3, Steelers.

The Chargers TD shouldn't have happened.

The Steelers probably should have scored a TD before the end of the first half when they were at the Chargers 1.

The Steelers were jobbed out of a TD two times in the final quarter, both on very specious calls...the first for holding and the infamous last play of the game.

In review, two of the three FGs should have been TDs, the final play should have been a TD and add the safety...26 points total.

Assume the Chargers don't darken the goalline on the BS call against Ike and there you get the final score.

I will get to my own rant about officials later...I gotta go brew some beer now!!!

SteelTorch
11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Must read for all Steeler fans

NFL Degeneration Finally Being Noticed
by Ransom Redhawk (Member)

Editorial
November 18, 2008
There was a lot of discussion on Monday morning by Mike and Mike on ESPN about the ending of the Steelers' game last night, as well as the huge discrepancy in penalties called.

The Steelers were flagged 13 times for 115 yards vs. the Chargers, two penalties for five yards, and one of those flags coming on the last play of the game in order to nullify yet another Steeler TD.

According to Mike and Mike, it turns out there was over $100M bet on that game in Vegas. The money was over 2:1 for the Steelers, who were favored by five points. So, removing that last Steeler touchdown resulted in a $64M swing in favor of the bookies last night.

Golic made the interesting point that if something this flagrant took place in the NBA, they would be launching a congressional investigation, and he is right. This situation continues to draw a great deal of media attention today.

But it was even worse than that.

The Steelers had an earlier TD called back for the type of holding call that could legitimately be made on every play, and the Chargers' only TD resulted from a pass interference call on Taylor that CBS commentator Phil Simms observed shouldn't have been called at all, but that Taylor had position and if the call is made, it should have been against the receiver.

Forget the issue that the ball wasn't catchable anyway. The Steelers had over 36 minutes in time of possession, a 100-yard rusher, a 100-yard receiver, and over 300 yards passing from Big Ben. Yet, they could not score a single TD the entire game???

They did have two called back. The Steelers had one drive after another stalled out as the result of ticky-tacky penalties that negated nice gains, creating 3rd-and-long situations when they would have had 1st-and-10 situations. Three calls on Hines Ward alone and four on the special teams. The special-team calls resulted in the Steelers constantly starting from inside their 20, while SD was being set up near midfield all evening.

This situation continues to draw a great deal of media attention today. The direction the NFL is heading clearly has been drifting into the NBA-type toilet over the past few years, and they are getting so flagrant at this point that it is finally starting to attract some well-deserved attention from the media.

Sports writers are finally starting to notice disparities that have been blatantly obvious for some time. Last night was the most flagrant game fixing since the Steelers/Colts playoff game when they simply disallowed an obvious, late fourth-quarter interception by Troy Polamalu in a blatant attempt to keep their big money draw, Peyton Manning, active for a Super Bowl appearance.
Good article, but do you have a link?

proudpittsburgher
11-19-2008, 08:12 AM
The final score was 11-10, Steelers.

The REAL final score should have been 26-3, Steelers.

The Chargers TD shouldn't have happened.
It was a bad call on the pass interfearance, but I would have liked to see the defense hold tomlinson out at least once. That being said, this defense is still amazing

The Steelers probably should have scored a TD before the end of the first half when they were at the Chargers 1.
To me, that's all on Mike Tomlin (I'm not a hater, I actually like the guy, but he needed to challenge the play before the goal-line stuff.) I thought the receiver had the ball across the line. Either way, you absolutely have to burn an replay on that. If you lose, fine, but the plan was never to even look at it, they rushed ni a play. Inexcusable

The Steelers were jobbed out of a TD two times in the final quarter, both on very specious calls...the first for holding and the infamous last play of the game.
It wa sa prett clear holding call to me
In review, two of the three FGs should have been TDs, the final play should have been a TD and add the safety...26 points total.

Assume the Chargers don't darken the goalline on the BS call against Ike and there you get the final score.

I will get to my own rant about officials later...I gotta go brew some beer now!!!