PDA

View Full Version : berger?

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
is there any way they can re-sign him if his hamstring gets better in a couple weeks or so? ernster was so awful yesterday, i really hope they arent stuck with him for the remainder of the season

phillyesq
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I think and hope that is the plan. With the bad hammy, Berger might have a tough time getting to some of Retkofsky's snaps -- he's been a bit wild. Hopefully, Berger's hamstring recovers soon.

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
That 4th Round draft pick for Sepulveda may not had been such a bad investment as the "know it alls" have indicated. Finding a quality punter appears to be a bit harder than most people want to believe.

Punter is undervaluaed by fans, just like kickers, but they many times have the fate of the game in their hands several times a game. That's more than your #3 receiver is likely to have.

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
That 4th Round draft pick for Sepulveda may not had been such a bad investment as the "know it alls" have indicated. Finding a quality punter appears to be a bit harder than most people want to believe.

Punter is undervaluaed by fans, just like kickers, but they many times have the fate of the game in their hands several times a game. That's more than your #3 receiver is likely to have.

thats a very good point. if sep hadnt injured his acl he would be very valuable this season. punters and kickers play forever so if sep turns out to be a good punter which i think he will he will then they will be set with a punter for a long long time

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 03:00 PM

thats a very good point. if sep hadnt injured his acl he would be very valuable this season. punters and kickers play forever so if sep turns out to be a good punter which i think he will he will then they will be set with a punter for a long long time

I said it when we picked Sep. It is never a bad deal when you take someone in Round 4 who will be on your roster for 8-10 years.

stlrz d
11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

Iron Shiek
11-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

Me either...or Spaeth. I remember being on Trib during the draft and the horrid outcry of blasphemy for taking Spaeth. Being in the Big Ten, I had seen him enough to know it was a pretty good investment. He proved pretty valuable yesterday making some nice grabs.

Holy Backup TE Batman. Robin was money yesterday.

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 04:28 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1vtjaph0]I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

Me either...or Spaeth. I remember being on Trib during the draft and the horrid outcry of blasphemy for taking Spaeth. Being in the Big Ten, I had seen him enough to know it was a pretty good investment. He proved pretty valuable yesterday making some nice grabs.

Holy Backup TE Batman. Robin was money yesterday.[/quote:1vtjaph0]

Me three. I said last year that the 2007 draft was one of the best we had in years (no coincidence IMO it was the first post Cowher draft). Look at the players who are or have contributed a lot: Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, Sepulveda and Gay. If you get 5 players every draft who play the roles they are playing you will not have problems. Oh by the way add Russell and Stapleton to that list and it looks even better.

The only issues have been continued misses on DL and OL.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1f1w8lga]I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

Holy Backup TE Batman. Robin was money yesterday.[/quote:1f1w8lga]

I had both Sepulveda and Spaeth as 5th round picks in my pre-draft mock that year (regular 5th and compensatory 5th), so I was happy to see them both become Steelers even if it was earlier that I would have anticipated. I nailed the Woodley and McBean picks that year (exact round and everything). :D for Woodley, :evil: for McBean. I was still holding out hope for Carriker over Timmons in the first, and I think I wanted Michael Bush in the 3rd, if I recall correctly.

Jigawatts
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I was all for the Sepulveda pick last year. I don't understand why people just don't get
how important field position is.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
I was all for the Sepulveda pick last year. I don't understand why people just don't get

Case in point: Hall of Fame voters consistently ignore Ray Guy's contributions to the game, thinking that a lowly punter is not worthy of their hallowed Hall. I hate the Raiders (particularly of that era) as much as the next Steeler fan, but you have to wonder what it would take to get the best ever at his position recognized by this clueless bunch.

Starlifter
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
i was a huge fan of the sepulveda selection over on the 'other' board. The first play of any defensive series is in fact the preceding kick. clearly one of the most important factors in the win/loss outcome is starting field position. as dorky as it sounds, punters and kickers have a dramatic impact on the outcome of a game. it sure becomes glaring when you have one that's struggling.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
i was a huge fan of the sepulveda selection over on the 'other' board. The first play of any defensive series is in fact the preceding kick. clearly one of the most important factors in the win/loss outcome is starting field position. as dorky as it sounds, punters and kickers have a dramatic impact on the outcome of a game. it sure becomes glaring when you have one that's struggling.

You are definitely better off not noticing the kicker, punter, long snapper, and offensive line. When you have a good one of each of those, you take them for granted and forget that they are there. Well, this year, injuries and such have made the punter, long snapper, and o-line very noticeable.

Thanks goodness for our unfreezable little psycho, who has been money even though he has had countless combinations of snappers and holders this season (Warren to Sepulveda, Warren to Berger, Retkovsky to Berger, Retkovsky to Ernster). And his only FG miss would have been a record breaking 50+ yarder at Heinz (never been a 50+ yard kick there) in the mud and snow and wind.

phillyesq
11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2n5y2601]I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

Holy Backup TE Batman. Robin was money yesterday.[/quote:2n5y2601]

I'll admit that I wasn't happy about the Spaeth pick -- not so much because of Spaeth, but because I wanted Tony Hunt. :oops:

In hindsight, obviously Tony Hunt has been a huge disappointment (has anybody signed him since he was cut by the Eagles?). Spaeth has been great filling in for Miller. So, yeah, I'll eat some crow. Not as much as the completely anti-Spaeth people -- just the serving for those who wanted somebody else.

Ozey74
11-17-2008, 08:37 PM

Me niether. ST is 1/3 of the game & we had a need for him.

Now if the FO can now focus on our O-Line......

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2008, 09:34 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1v0if1tt]I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

I'll admit that I wasn't happy about the Spaeth pick -- not so much because of Spaeth, but because I wanted Tony Hunt. :oops:

In hindsight, obviously Tony Hunt has been a huge disappointment (has anybody signed him since he was cut by the Eagles?). Spaeth has been great filling in for Miller. So, yeah, I'll eat some crow. Not as much as the completely anti-Spaeth people -- just the serving for those who wanted somebody else.[/quote:1v0if1tt]

http://bp1.blogger.com/_e_mQyEx3fbA/R7DAhrW1qtI/AAAAAAAAAfk/Tz32IwVXsPw/s400/EatCrow.jpg

(I like any excuse to use this graphic. Cracks me up every time!)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I liked the Sepulveda pick because I thought they were going to teach him to play LB as well after seeing that ST hit of his in college. You know how Tomlin is always preaching position flexibility. :lol:

AkronSteel
11-19-2008, 01:11 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1az1ewpa]I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

Me three. I said last year that the 2007 draft was one of the best we had in years (no coincidence IMO it was the first post Cowher draft). Look at the players who are or have contributed a lot: Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, Sepulveda and Gay. If you get 5 players every draft who play the roles they are playing you will not have problems. Oh by the way add Russell and Stapleton to that list and it looks even better.

The only issues have been continued misses on DL and OL.[/quote:1az1ewpa]

Don't forget about Stapleton either! He looks like he could be a really really good find, like FWP. Last years rookie class was strong.....Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, Sepulveda, Gay, and Stapleton. That offseason was pretty good for the team moving forward.

proudpittsburgher
11-19-2008, 08:02 AM

Me niether. ST is 1/3 of the game & we had a need for him.

Now if the FO can now focus on our O-Line......

All you have to do is look at the 05 super bowl. The Steelers played like dog crap for most of the game, yet Seattle's punter had, what, four or five punts from around midfield and airlmailed them all into the end zone for touchbacks. People talk about the penalties, costing the Seahawks, Steelers fans blame bad clock management and turnovers, but I look at that as the single biggest contributor to the seahawks loss.
As an aside, I am grownig really tired of the Steelers playing the field position game, only to have an opposing punter hit every punt for 60+ on us. :wft I see some of these guys playing against other teams, and they shank here and there and kick it average or short, yet against the Steelers, they turn into friggen thunderfoot.

Oviedo
11-19-2008, 10:13 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3vuqxdr4]I've never complained once about drafting Sepulveda.

In hindsight, obviously Tony Hunt has been a huge disappointment (has anybody signed him since he was cut by the Eagles?). Spaeth has been great filling in for Miller. So, yeah, I'll eat some crow. Not as much as the completely anti-Spaeth people -- just the serving for those who wanted somebody else.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_e_mQyEx3fbA/R7DAhrW1qtI/AAAAAAAAAfk/Tz32IwVXsPw/s400/EatCrow.jpg

(I like any excuse to use this graphic. Cracks me up every time!)[/quote:3vuqxdr4]

Our FO and coaches usually get it right. It amazes me how we put a competitive team on the field every year and fans think that is inspite of the FO and coaches. I will remind you of that when are are talking mock drafts :wink:

phillyesq
11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Ruthless - great picture!