PDA

View Full Version : 300 yard passer, 100 yard rusher - and no TDs

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 09:34 AM
I know, I know - a win is a win. But come on. As great as our defense is, where not going to beat many quality teams kicking field goals.

RussBII
11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm with ya on this. And isn't the charger's pass defense highly suspect right now w/o Merriman?

I think almost all of our drives were killed by a 3rd and long as a result of penalty, or those two horrible drives that ended in 3 and 1s.

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:43 AM
that has to be the most yardage by a team without scoring a td. strange game, it was also the first 11-10 game ever in the nfl. i cant believe they took that td away from troy. i bet there were a lot of angry people because that td covered the spread

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
13 penalties and 3-4 sacks killed our drives. Without those we score 20+.

How can we have 13 penalties called for over 110 yards with like at least 4 holding penalties and the Chargers are called for 1 penalty for 5 yeards when harrison and Woodley are being held almost every single time they rush. If the refs are ignoring those to protect the QBs it is a disgrace and it will cost us football games between now and the end of the season--mark it down.

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
that has to be the most yardage by a team without scoring a td. strange game, it was also the first 11-10 game ever in the nfl. i cant believe they took that td away from troy. i bet there were a lot of angry people because that td covered the spread

My father-in-law lost some cash because they took that last td away. I pretended to be upset about it :lol: :lol:

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:49 AM

My father-in-law lost some cash because they took that last td away. I pretended to be upset about it :lol: :lol:

wow that really sucks. it was a horrible call too. haha yea i didnt really care too much about it since it was a win regardless

RussBII
11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

I loved how the Football Night in America crew mentioned that taking the TD around allowed the Chargers to cover the spread. Dan Patrick mentioned one last time with a kind of a wink, wink, nudge nudge sorta smile.

Quite simply, that's why I don't bet on sports. No matter how much research you do... something like that can happen. I guess the same can be said about the stock market...

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM

I loved how the Football Night in America crew mentioned that taking the TD around allowed the Chargers to cover the spread. Dan Patrick mentioned one last time with a kind of a wink, wink, nudge nudge sorta smile.

Quite simply, that's why I don't bet on sports. No matter how much research you do... something like that can happen. I guess the same can be said about the stock market...

i actually think betting on sports is safer than the stock market :lol:

papillon
11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
13 penalties and 3-4 sacks killed our drives. Without those we score 20+.

How can we have 13 penalties called for over 110 yards with like at least 4 holding penalties and the Chargers are called for 1 penalty for 5 yeards when harrison and Woodley are being held almost every single time they rush. If the refs are ignoring those to protect the QBs it is a disgrace and it will cost us football games between now and the end of the season--mark it down.

I'm convinced that Silverback and Woodley have a different set of holding rules applied to them (I would bet the same thing is happening to Porter as well.). Harrison is hooked by the outside arm of the OT every time he speed rushes outside.

I'd like to see him develop that little swim move after a hard outside first step and come across the LTs face and try to get inside once in awhile. I know he's strong enough to pull it off, but, probably hasn't worked on the technique.

pappy

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
i love it when they line woodley and harrison up on the same side. there is no tackle in the nfl that can block either of them at the same time. i think they only have done it on 3rd downs, but it is very effective

MeetJoeGreene
11-17-2008, 12:35 PM
I wonder how many times in NFL History that has happened? A 300 Yd passer AND 100 yard rusher and ZERO TDs.

That being said, I have 2 positive takeaways:

Gary Russell could be our short yardage back. I hope we use him on the goal line more -- we make actually get some of those TDS.

My confidence is (somewhat) restored in Ben's ability to engineer a late game drive. I believe that we could/would have scored a(nother) TD on that final drive had we the need to.

My concern:

Ben's deep ball. Ain't what it should be. That first pass to Holmes would have been a TD had it not been way underthrown.

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I wonder how many times in NFL History that has happened? A 300 Yd passer AND 100 yard rusher and ZERO TDs.

That being said, I have 2 positive takeaways:

Gary Russell could be our short yardage back. I hope we use him on the goal line more -- we make actually get some of those TDS.

My confidence is (somewhat) restored in Ben's ability to engineer a late game drive. I believe that we could/would have scored a(nother) TD on that final drive had we the need to.

My concern:

Ben's deep ball. Ain't what it should be. That first pass to Holmes would have been a TD had it not been way underthrown.

Agreed on Russell. SMG has been talking about this guy since last year. I was happy to finally see him in there on a short yardage play. He looks promising.

I was actually going to create a post about Ben's deep throw to Holmes. A healthy Ben throws an easy touchdown on that play. It is so obvious to me but some people argue that he is fine. He's not fine.

SteelTorch
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Let's also not forget Parker's overturned TD by a questionable holding call.

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM

that was a marginal call. there was definetly a hold but compared to ones that were not called on the chargers it was a bad call

RussBII
11-17-2008, 01:52 PM

that was a marginal call. there was definetly a hold but compared to ones that were not called on the chargers it was a bad call

I hate to do this but I gotta disagree. That holding was pretty blatant. I've seen worse calls go unnoticed, but never one where the guy being held could've definitely made the stop. Willie gets tackled right there, if not for that hold.

stlrz d
11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm not saying it was a good through, or was a poor throw, but in fairness to Ben, it appeared on the long pass to Holmes he threw it outside and Holmes went inside...which would make the ball look under thrown.

Iron Shiek
11-17-2008, 03:49 PM

I hate to do this but I gotta disagree. That holding was pretty blatant. I've seen worse calls go unnoticed, but never one where the guy being held could've definitely made the stop. Willie gets tackled right there, if not for that hold.

:Agree

As for the offense, finish a freaking drive! Without a dumb penalty preferably.

As for Ben's deep ball, his shoulder has been "hurt" all year. We weren't complaining when he hit Nate in stride vs. the Bungles. That was a pretty deep pass. I really think he is just having accuracy issues. Get on point Ben, we need those!

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 03:56 PM

:Agree

As for the offense, finish a freaking drive! Without a dumb penalty preferably.

As for Ben's deep ball, his shoulder has been "hurt" all year. We weren't complaining when he hit Nate in stride vs. the Bungles. That was a pretty deep pass. I really think he is just having accuracy issues. Get on point Ben, we need those!

Ben re-injured (or aggravated) the shoulder against the Redskins two weeks ago. And in both the Colts game and yesterday vs. the Chargers I don't recall a good, deep ball he threw.

MeetJoeGreene
11-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not saying it was a good through, or was a poor throw, but in fairness to Ben, it appeared on the long pass to Holmes he threw it outside and Holmes went inside...which would make the ball look under thrown.

I thought he was just off. It SHOULD have been thrown inside as that is where Holmes was open and I didn't see anyone else inside. I think it was just a weak throw. (and a little off target).

Starlifter
11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
not just this year but even in previous years, Ben's deep balls for the most part are underthrown. yes, a few hit the guy in stride but it sure seems like more times than not the receiver has to slow up, the DB closes and it turns into a jump ball. it's not his strong suit.......