PDA

View Full Version : Win was great, but even better was Ben's decision making!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-17-2008, 01:11 AM
I had to watch the game away from the computer, it's been so long since I did that, I kind of forgot what it felt like. In a way I think I watched the game differently, eyes on the TV screen more.

So, not being able to be part of the game thread, my main impression was "Thank you lord, Ben IS smart enough to learn new tricks"! For the last three weeks I was kind of bumming big time that our O-line protection has been so bad for so long that Ben had become gun shy, and that his bad habits had become permanent.

But today, he "took what they gave him", he didn't insist on forcing it downfield, he would go for the short pass if that was all that was left. I'm guessing the Bolts left those guys open thinking Ben had developed a permanent blind spot to anything less than 15 yards downfield.

Also, it looked to me like he went a long way towards getting that Eli Manning sort of pocket presence, the one where instead of bolting out of the pocket like some skittish pony, the QB just sort of slides 1-2 yards away from the pressure and gets off a perfect pass.

I hope he gets a lot of positive reinforcement from Tomlin for this game. His numbers may not have been stellar, but he did what it took to win a game, I think that this could be a pivotal game in terms of his maturity and development.

BTW - Was anyone else holding their breath that entire last drive praying he didn't throw a pick?

Just my :2c

pittpete
11-17-2008, 01:13 AM
BTW - Was anyone else holding their breath that entire last drive praying he didn't throw a pick?

Honestly I was much more worried about a big penalty being called.

Djfan
11-17-2008, 01:24 AM
I was worried that the football gods would continue to harass us like they have been lately. It has been coming in many forms the last few weeks.

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 08:28 AM
that was the best game ben has played in a while. he was awsome!! im not even sure if he made any bad throws. he had some very very nice passes. if it werent for a few drops his completion percentage would of been even higher. it was very nice to see him take what the chargers were giving him instead of forcing anything. i think spaeth has gotten more balls thrown to him in the last two games than heath miller has gotten all year

steelblood
11-17-2008, 08:46 AM
He was very good.

He may have cost them touchdowns on two poor choices though.

1. Santonio Holmes beat Jammer deep in the first half (he had him by 3 steps with no safety over the top) and Ben underthrew him terribly. Yes, the weather was bad. But, he still should have made a better throw.

2. On second and goal from the four, Ben had time to look at three different receivers and then took a sack when he could have launched the ball through the goal posts and given us one more crack from where we could have still used play action.

Otherwise, I thought it was one of his best games. He generally got rid of the ball quickly and he made a great pass to Santonio on that final drive when he bought time by scrambling to his left. Still, this offense needs to start finishing drives (especially against bad defenses).

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
It appeared that Ben fianlly realized you could throw to the TE to keep drives going at 6-8 yards a play versus waiting for a 30 yard play. I've said it for two year. Ben throws a better short to mid range ball than he does long even brfore the shoulder injury.

If Ben just takes what the defense gives him we will continue to have success.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
While I agree that he was solid in not making any mistakes, he was a little gunshy IMO. There were a few times where you could see a receiver open downfield, and one short, and he took the short option. No complaints, a completion is a completion, but the more cautious approach took away the big play potential.

It will be nice for him to have success doing this for a few games before he opens up a little more. Taking the big play when given to him, but still avoiding the pitfalls of recklessness.

RussBII
11-17-2008, 10:26 AM
While I agree that he was solid in not making any mistakes, he was a little gunshy IMO. There were a few times where you could see a receiver open downfield, and one short, and he took the short option. No complaints, a completion is a completion, but the more cautious approach took away the big play potential.

It will be nice for him to have success doing this for a few games before he opens up a little more. Taking the big play when given to him, but still avoiding the pitfalls of recklessness.

I was thinking almost the same thing.

Also, did the play calling seem different? Or did it just LOOK different because of Ben's decision making?

papillon
11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I had to watch the game away from the computer, it's been so long since I did that, I kind of forgot what it felt like. In a way I think I watched the game differently, eyes on the TV screen more.

So, not being able to be part of the game thread, my main impression was "Thank you lord, Ben IS smart enough to learn new tricks"! For the last three weeks I was kind of bumming big time that our O-line protection has been so bad for so long that Ben had become gun shy, and that his bad habits had become permanent.

But today, he "took what they gave him", he didn't insist on forcing it downfield, he would go for the short pass if that was all that was left. I'm guessing the Bolts left those guys open thinking Ben had developed a permanent blind spot to anything less than 15 yards downfield.

Also, it looked to me like he went a long way towards getting that Eli Manning sort of pocket presence, the one where instead of bolting out of the pocket like some skittish pony, the QB just sort of slides 1-2 yards away from the pressure and gets off a perfect pass.

I hope he gets a lot of positive reinforcement from Tomlin for this game. His numbers may not have been stellar, but he did what it took to win a game, I think that this could be a pivotal game in terms of his maturity and development.

Just my :2c

I mentioned in another thread that this type of quarterback play will take the Steelers deep into the playoffs. That's as good as Ben has played this year.

I was fearful of the referees f**king something up, not the Steelers.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Also, did the play calling seem different? Or did it just LOOK different because of Ben's decision making?

I am not sure if it is the play call or the decision. Think about it: Steelers run a play where Holmes goes deep and Spaeth goes 6 yards.

Scenario one - Ben watches Holmes and waits for him to get downfield. By that time the pass rush closes in and he gets sacked, or throws it before the time is right and gets away a poor pass, or maybe he escapes the rush and heaves it dowfield for a 40 yard completion.

Scenario two - Ben barely gives Holmes a look and confidently tosses it to Spaeth. Spaeth turns and gains an extra two yards for an eight yard gain.

Same playcall, different focus, different execution.

RussBII
11-17-2008, 01:54 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":29mblma6]While I agree that he was solid in not making any mistakes, he was a little gunshy IMO. There were a few times where you could see a receiver open downfield, and one short, and he took the short option. No complaints, a completion is a completion, but the more cautious approach took away the big play potential.

I am not sure if it is the play call or the decision. Think about it: Steelers run a play where Holmes goes deep and Spaeth goes 6 yards.

Scenario one - Ben watches Holmes and waits for him to get downfield. By that time the pass rush closes in and he gets sacked, or throws it before the time is right and gets away a poor pass, or maybe he escapes the rush and heaves it dowfield for a 40 yard completion.

Scenario two - Ben barely gives Holmes a look and confidently tosses it to Spaeth. Spaeth turns and gains an extra two yards for an eight yard gain.

Same playcall, different focus, different execution.[/quote:29mblma6]

Well put. I like the new responsible Ben. However, I don't think any of us wants him to shut down the gunslinger mentality permanently. There's a time and a place... He just needs to figure out when that time and place is.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2qtyjqud]While I agree that he was solid in not making any mistakes, he was a little gunshy IMO. There were a few times where you could see a receiver open downfield, and one short, and he took the short option. No complaints, a completion is a completion, but the more cautious approach took away the big play potential.

Well put. I like the new responsible Ben. However, I don't think any of us wants him to shut down the gunslinger mentality permanently. There's a time and a place... He just needs to figure out when that time and place is.[/quote:2qtyjqud]

Hopefully there is that happy medium somewhere. IMO this is what separates Brady from the rest. He knows how to take the most of what is given to him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-19-2008, 11:26 PM
[quote=RussBII][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1v0b29my]While I agree that he was solid in not making any mistakes, he was a little gunshy IMO. There were a few times where you could see a receiver open downfield, and one short, and he took the short option. No complaints, a completion is a completion, but the more cautious approach took away the big play potential.

Well put. I like the new responsible Ben. However, I don't think any of us wants him to shut down the gunslinger mentality permanently. There's a time and a place... He just needs to figure out when that time and place is.[/quote:1v0b29my]

Hopefully there is that happy medium somewhere. IMO this is what separates Brady from the rest. He knows how to take the most of what is given to him. [/quote:1v0b29my]

Like films of the defenses he's going to see that game!