PDA

View Full Version : Another 4th and goal from the 1 yard line....

Steeler Mafia
11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
....and we still can punch it in. :wft What the hell is going on with this team? This aggrevates the #%@$ out of me. Is Arians so stupid, that he doesn't know what to do to get the ball in the endzone fron his own one? :HeadBanger

Now I can already hear some of you out there that want to blame the execution and not Arians. For those of you, I have two words for you....bull sh!t. This has been a probelm for more than just this season. If it happened only once, then I would say it is an execution problem. However, we are going almost every game with an opportunity to score from a couple feet away, and cannot get a touchdown. By damn, I swear, if they don't get rid of this retart Arians before the start of next season, I will personally drive up to Pittsburgh and excort his sorry a$$ out of town, via a lynch mob. I am sure it won't be that hard to find some people who would want to come along for the ride. :evil:

Djfan
11-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm in!

TD386Steel
11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Its crazy but I think Tomlin finally put his foot down on the 3rd & 1 with Russell and the fullback.

AkronSteel
11-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm in.....this guy is killing me! I have a feeling though that Tomlin is growing tired of the offensive situation and may begin to start making changes....err.....suggestions going forward.

Djfan
11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm in.....this guy is killing me! I have a feeling though that Tomlin is growing tired of the offensive situation and may begin to start making changes....err.....suggestions going forward.
Hope you're right. At this point Tomlin's leadership is on the line.

Jigawatts
11-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I know Heath is out, but why is it that every team in the NFL other than the Pittsburgh
Steelers, can leak a tight end into the endzone, unnoticed, and score a touchdown on
on an easy pitch and catch in goal line situations?

Jooser
11-16-2008, 11:30 PM
It would have been interesting to see what Russell could have done on the 4th and 1. The thing is, we ran exactly at the same place we did last week against Indy and lost ground...again. I know, looks like a clusterf u ck to me....

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2559/2585077459355360d89dks4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Starlifter
11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
i think it's an interesting strategy when you don't have a power back - to line up with a single back deep and make sure it's not a quick hitting burst. after all, if you're gonna make it clear who's gonna get the ball you might as well give the defense time to swarm to the point of impact......

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I know Heath is out, but why is it that every team in the NFL other than the Pittsburgh
Steelers, can leak a tight end into the endzone, unnoticed, and score a touchdown on
on an easy pitch and catch in goal line situations?

That's what I thought they would do against the Colts and again today.

I was wrong. :cry:

Djfan
11-17-2008, 12:04 AM
i think it's an interesting strategy when you don't have a power back - to line up with a single back deep and make sure it's not a quick hitting burst. after all, if you're gonna make it clear who's gonna get the ball you might as well give the defense time to swarm to the point of impact......

Or line up with no one in the backfield so the LBs get to rush a weak line.

Starlifter
11-17-2008, 12:14 AM

Or line up with no one in the backfield so the LBs get to rush a weak line.

lol, arians is one sneaky ba$tard.......... :HeadBanger

costanza2k1
11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Hopefully we'll start to see more of Russel now in short yardage plays along with Davis...

pittpete
11-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I hate Arians as much as the next guy, but technically we do nt have a FB on this team.
Carey Davis is not a blocking FB by no means.
Im tired of seeing these 2 and 3 TE sets on short yardage.
Go FN 3 recievers split and run from that formation instead of saying OK we will run right here, try and stop us.

Iron Shiek
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I hate Arians as much as the next guy, but technically we do nt have a FB on this team.
Go FN 3 recievers split and run from that formation instead of saying OK we will run right here, try and stop us.

Yeah we don't have the dominant line of 2005. We can't impose our will. Maybe Arians doesn't realize its 2008 yet. Hopefully one of the guys will go up and tell him our line sucks and he will figure out everything all of a sudden.

As for the playcalling, who didn't see that stupid weak side dive coming. They did it twice today and got pummeled just like the goalline against the colts last week. Then they finally faked that play when russell got us a first down. davis went to the same gap but russell went the other way. I am fully convinced Ben told him in the huddle okay under no circumstance do you follow carey, just go the OTHER WAY!

Jooser
11-17-2008, 01:02 AM
I say let Silverback lead block down on the GL. Hell, why not, at least some defender will leave with a headache after the play.

Iron Shiek
11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
I say let Silverback lead block down on the GL. Hell, why not, at least some defender will leave with a headache after the play.

This needs to happen.

ohblahitsme
11-17-2008, 01:19 AM

Hahaha, genius!

stlrz d
11-17-2008, 08:45 AM

Yeah we don't have the dominant line of 2005. We can't impose our will. Maybe Arians doesn't realize its 2008 yet. Hopefully one of the guys will go up and tell him our line sucks and he will figure out everything all of a sudden.

As for the playcalling, who didn't see that stupid weak side dive coming. They did it twice today and got pummeled just like the goalline against the colts last week. Then they finally faked that play when russell got us a first down. davis went to the same gap but russell went the other way. I am fully convinced Ben told him in the huddle okay under no circumstance do you follow carey, just go the OTHER WAY!

That was the play where Davis didn't even hit anyone as he went through the line!

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
i dont know why they didnt use russell against the colts in short yardage situations. he is much better suited for short yardage than either fwp or moore

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
We ran the play twice from the 1 last week and it succeeded.

We get down there again and we run it again.....it failed

So we run it again..........it failed

Now we get down there this week against a team who watched film on us runnning the same play four times in a row down at the goalline, so what do we do? We run it again.......it failed again. Same RB five times in a row, same play.

So now we get down to 3rd and one again. New short yardage play, new RB as well. Russell goes for the first, great. So, again we get into a 3rd and 1, what do we do? Same play again and Russell gets the first - awesome.

My question is this......are we going to keep running only one play in 3rd and short situations until the D figures it out and stops us two or three times? Note to BA. You are allowed to have more than one short yardage play in your playbook at a time.

papillon
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Am I the only one that thought willie Parker was running with authority yesterday? Parker made some nice moves in the hole between the tackles, had some nice cutbacks and was clearly the Steelers most explosive back. When Parker gets squared to the line of scrimmage he is not an easy man to tackle and should have be playing in goal line situations.

Papppy

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Am I the only one that thought willie Parker was running with authority yesterday? Parker made some nice moves in the hole between the tackles, had some nice cutbacks and was clearly the Steelers most explosive back. When Parker gets squared to the line of scrimmage he is not an easy man to tackle and should have be playing in goal line situations.

Papppy

when fwp is healthy there are few rbs as good as he is. he looked awsome yesterday. my only complaint is he had too many carries imo. why do they insist on giving him 20-25 carries his first game back from injury?

papillon
11-17-2008, 10:48 AM

Papppy

when fwp is healthy there are few rbs as good as he is. he looked awsome yesterday. my only complaint is he had too many carries imo. why do they insist on giving him 20-25 carries his first game back from injury?

I'm with ya, I'd prefer 18-20, but, when the game hangs in the balance you have to put your best players on the field. Willie Parker gives the Steelers their best chance to win games. Had the offense put this game away early by scoring some TDs they could have backed off the throttle with Willie, but, as it was, they needed him, so you give him the rock.

That's my take.

Pappy

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Papppy

I'm with ya, I'd prefer 18-20, but, when the game hangs in the balance you have to put your best players on the field. Willie Parker gives the Steelers their best chance to win games. Had the offense put this game away early by scoring some TDs they could have backed off the throttle with Willie, but, as it was, they needed him, so you give him the rock.

That's my take.

Pappy

yea i know what your saying and i cant really fault tomlin for that. i just dont want to see fwp get hurt again. the run game is so much better with him and moore. if russell got more carries yesterday i think he would of had very good success. i just dont understand why they dont split carries when fwp is playing. kind of more like how the giants do with ward and jacobs

Iron Shiek
11-17-2008, 04:10 PM
We ran the play twice from the 1 last week and it succeeded.

Now we get down there this week against a team who watched film on us runnning the same play four times in a row down at the goalline, so what do we do? We run it again.......it failed again. Same RB five times in a row, same play.

So now we get down to 3rd and one again. New short yardage play, new RB as well. Russell goes for the first, great. So, again we get into a 3rd and 1, what do we do? Same play again and Russell gets the first - awesome.

My question is this......are we going to keep running only one play in 3rd and short situations until the D figures it out and stops us two or three times? Note to BA. You are allowed to have more than one short yardage play in your playbook at a time.

He ran out of crayons for his playbook when he got to the "GOALLINE" section so he just stuck with that play and that play only. He should be fired for not going and buying more crayons.

Discipline of Steel
11-17-2008, 05:44 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":q472929y]We ran the play twice from the 1 last week and it succeeded.

He ran out of crayons for his playbook when he got to the "GOALLINE" section so he just stuck with that play and that play only. He should be fired for not going and buying more crayons.[/quote:q472929y]

I think he should be fired for not drinking his kool-aid! :Beer