PDA

View Full Version : Some Game Observations

Oviedo
11-16-2008, 08:45 PM
1. Two words: Tight End! Finally Ben throws to Spaeth who has been open most of the last..oh let's say 12 games dating back to last year. I've said it for two years: We can hit the TEs we have every single play for at least a 6 yard gain. Our TEs are a match up nightmare for any LB or Safety. Throw to them until the opponents show they can stop it.

2. Are the refs under instructions from the league to never call holding against whoever blocks Harrison or Woodley to protect QBs. This has gotten to the point of ridiculous. They are held almost every single play and never a call ever.

3. Anyone doubting Troy now. The guy is a freak of nature.

4. How many more injuries are we going to have. Now Stapleton. Also getting ridiculous. IMO we need to resign Trai Essex for one reason--position flexibility. Has he ever come into a game and not done a credible job? If Stapleton's injury is serious we have a real problem on the OL. Maybe we can get Mahan back to play Guard? :stirpot

5. Finally power running by Gary Russell. Said it in training camp the future of our backfield is Mendenhall and Russell but right now FWP is a warrior. A true Steeler player of the first order.

DukieBoy
11-16-2008, 08:48 PM
1. Two words: Tight End! Finally Ben throws to Spaeth who has been open most of the last..oh let's say 12 games dating back to last year. I've said it for two years: We can hit the TEs we have every single play for at least a 6 yard gain. Our TEs are a match up nightmare for any LB or Safety. Throw to them until the opponents show they can stop it.

2. Are the refs under instructions from the league to never call holding against whoever blocks Harrison or Woodley to protect QBs. This has gotten to the point of ridiculous. They are held almost every single play and never a call ever.

4. How many more injuries are we going to have. Now Stapleton. Also getting ridiculous. IMO we need to resign Trai Essex for one reason--position flexibility. Has he ever come into a game and not done a credible job? If Stapleton's injury is serious we have a real problem on the OL. Maybe we can get Mahan back to play Guard? :stirpot

5. Finally power running by Gary Russell. Said it in training camp the future of our backfield is Mendenhall and Russell but right now FWP is a warrior. A true Steeler player of the first order.

Box score lists 13 penalties for 115 ys against us, and lists 2 penaties for 5 yds on the Chargers.

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Didn't Stapleton come back? There was a call on 72 quite a while after he was injured.

As for the holding, it seems the NFL has now made legal the "arm bar" by the OTs on an outside pass rusher because it's rarely called for anyone, not just us. I see it all the time.

pittpete
11-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Stapleton did come back.
Add this to Game observations.
- Carey Davis can not, I say can not block
- Still have no one who can return kicks
- Steelers still show a lack of discipline by being flagged so many times even at home.

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Stapleton did come back.
- Steelers still show a lack of discipline by being flagged so many times even at home.

Davis was awful. There was one play where we converted a first down by faking to the left (with Davis) and actually ran to the right. Davis went through the line as if he were the lead blocker on the play and didn't touch a single defender!

pittpete
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Davis went through the line as if he were the lead blocker on the play and didn't touch a single defender!

Was on the phone with my brother during that play and he said you know Pete I never realized how bad Davis is.

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Davis went through the line as if he were the lead blocker on the play and didn't touch a single defender!

Was on the phone with my brother during that play and he said you know Pete I never realized how bad Davis is.

It was terrible...I saw two guys he could have hit to really sell it but he didn't bother.

It reminded me of WRs who don't sprint off the line on running plays because they aren't in the play anyway.

Awful.

pittpete
11-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Ya been like Plaxico used to do? :moon

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Ya been like Plaxico used to do? :moon
Yup!

pittpete
11-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh, add that our punter is the worst.
Play Ernster at FB and see if Davis can punt

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
james harrison is an animal!! he pretty much single handedly won that game. i cant say enough about how good of a olb he is. he looks better this season then any olb i have ever seen play before. he is unblockable, and he is even getting held at least 5 times every game but he is allowed to be held because he is just that good. its not fair to call holding all the time when its on harrison. on a side note, he really looks a lot like deebo :lol:

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Stapleton did come back.

Davis was awful. There was one play where we converted a first down by faking to the left (with Davis) and actually ran to the right. Davis went through the line as if he were the lead blocker on the play and didn't touch a single defender!

Someone posted available FAs a few weeks back and Kreider was on that list. If he is healthy, why is he not back on this team????

Oviedo
11-17-2008, 09:35 AM
james harrison is an animal!! he pretty much single handedly won that game. i cant say enough about how good of a olb he is. he looks better this season then any olb i have ever seen play before. he is unblockable, and he is even getting held at least 5 times every game but he is allowed to be held because he is just that good. its not fair to call holding all the time when its on harrison. on a side note, he really looks a lot like deebo :lol:

The lack of holding calls against Harrison and Woodley is a disgrace for this league and makes you wonder if NFL refs are becoming NHL refs manipulating the outcome of games.

papillon
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM

The lack of holding calls against Harrison and Woodley is a disgrace for this league and makes you wonder if NFL refs are becoming NHL refs manipulating the outcome of games.

Highlighted for truth! No one can block both Woodley and Harrison (simialr to Lawrence Taylor once upon a time) and, so, it appears that tackles are being given the benefit of the doubt when matched up against either of them.

WWE on its way to an NFL stadium near you. The refereing gets more pathetic by the week. They would probably be better off at this point just letting anarchy rule during a game and eliminate the refs comlpetely. It's a joke, even my wife, a casual NFL fan and big Steeler fan asked me why the refereeing is so pathetic. That tells ya all you need to know right there.

Pappy

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 11:35 AM

Highlighted for truth! No one can block both Woodley and Harrison (simialr to Lawrence Taylor once upon a time) and, so, it appears that tackles are being given the benefit of the doubt when matched up against either of them.

WWE on its way to an NFL stadium near you. The refereing gets more pathetic by the week. They would probably be better off at this point just letting anarchy rule during a game and eliminate the refs comlpetely. It's a joke, even my wife, a casual NFL fan and big Steeler fan asked me why the refereeing is so pathetic. That tells ya all you need to know right there.

Pappy

the sad thing is i dont ever recall LT getting held as blatant or as much than james harrison. if it werent for all the holds this season he would definetley break the season sack record

phillyesq
11-17-2008, 11:49 AM

- Couldn't agree more. I thought Spaeth did an excellent job last week, and a great job again this week as well. When Miller comes back, I hope that the Steelers utilize both of them. Not only are they great weapons on their own, but forcing defenses to worry about them should also open things up for the WRs.

- I wonder that every week. Especially Harrison. He gets mugged on almost every play. The amazing thing is that he still brings insane pressure, even when he is being held. I don't think that I've ever watched a Steeler play OLB better than he is playing right now.

- Agree again. He's been the Troy of old this year. Just makes plays all over. It seems to me that he hasn't been lining up directly on the line as much this year, which I think is really increasing his effectiveness.

- Russell looked great. I loved his enthusiasm after picking up the first downs. I really like FWP as well. Next year, when Mendenhall comes back, I think the Steelers will have the same issue as the Giants. Too many good RBs -- FWP, Moore, Russell and Mendenhall.

A few other observations:

- I didn't realize how good Warren was as a long snapper until watching Retkofsky. He just isn't as consistent. I think about the long snap now, and I never did before.

- Ernster isn't only a bad punter, he also seems to whine a lot. He seemed to be pointing out to somebody (Tomlin?) that the snap was high on one of his terrible punts. He was also barking at the refs a lot about the spot of his kick out of bounds. Hopefully, Berger's hamstrings will heal, and the Steelers can bring him back sooner rather than later.

- Kickoff and punt coverage has been fantastic.

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 11:51 AM

- Couldn't agree more. I thought Spaeth did an excellent job last week, and a great job again this week as well. When Miller comes back, I hope that the Steelers utilize both of them. Not only are they great weapons on their own, but forcing defenses to worry about them should also open things up for the WRs.

- I wonder that every week. Especially Harrison. He gets mugged on almost every play. The amazing thing is that he still brings insane pressure, even when he is being held. I don't think that I've ever watched a Steeler play OLB better than he is playing right now.

- Agree again. He's been the Troy of old this year. Just makes plays all over. It seems to me that he hasn't been lining up directly on the line as much this year, which I think is really increasing his effectiveness.

- Russell looked great. I loved his enthusiasm after picking up the first downs. I really like FWP as well. Next year, when Mendenhall comes back, I think the Steelers will have the same issue as the Giants. Too many good RBs -- FWP, Moore, Russell and Mendenhall.

A few other observations:

- I didn't realize how good Warren was as a long snapper until watching Retkofsky. He just isn't as consistent. I think about the long snap now, and I never did before.

- Ernster isn't only a bad punter, he also seems to whine a lot. He seemed to be pointing out to somebody (Tomlin?) that the snap was high on one of his terrible punts. He was also barking at the refs a lot about the spot of his kick out of bounds. Hopefully, Berger's hamstrings will heal, and the Steelers can bring him back sooner rather than later.

- Kickoff and punt coverage has been fantastic.

i thought that was a pretty bad spot they gave him on that one punt. it looked at worst it went out of bounds at the 10-15 yard line, but still know your roll buddy. he is lucky to have a job any where. at least berger didnt complain or make excuses when he only had one good leg. your right about the snaps though, kind of shakey. hartwig has to work on his snaps too. almost every snap out of the shotgun is usually too high

MeetJoeGreene
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Some of my othe thoughts:

Gary Russell could be our short yardage back. I hope we use him on the goal line more -- we make actually get some of those TDS.

My confidence is (somewhat) restored in Ben's ability to engineer a late game drive. I believe that we could/would have scored a(nother) TD on that final drive had we the need to.

My concern:

Ben's deep ball. Ain't what it should be. That first pass to Holmes would have been a TD had it not been way underthrown.

phillyesq
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
i thought that was a pretty bad spot they gave him on that one punt. it looked at worst it went out of bounds at the 10-15 yard line, but still know your roll buddy. he is lucky to have a job any where. at least berger didnt complain or make excuses when he only had one good leg. your right about the snaps though, kind of shakey. hartwig has to work on his snaps too. almost every snap out of the shotgun is usually too high

Yeah, I thought the spot was bad as well. It just annoys me to see our punter out there running his mouth to the officials.

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I thought the spot was bad as well. It just annoys me to see our punter out there running his mouth to the officials.

i agree. no punter should ever be running his mouth under any circumstance. your a punter for crying out loud

stlrz d
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Stapleton did come back.

Someone posted available FAs a few weeks back and Kreider was on that list. If he is healthy, why is he not back on this team????

I guess he's not as versatile as Davis. :roll:

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
[quote=pittpete]Stapleton did come back.

I guess he's not as versatile as Davis. :roll:[/quote:hig4zwq3]

Ok, I have to admit that in Madden, Davis is a much better receiver out of the backfield. But in real life, I don't think its a stretch to say we've downgraded the FB position on our team.

stlrz d
11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
[quote=pittpete]Stapleton did come back.

Ok, I have to admit that in Madden, Davis is a much better receiver out of the backfield. But in real life, I don't think its a stretch to say we've downgraded the FB position on our team.[/quote:2e4nzll3]

I agree with you...the :roll: was for the "reason" to have Davis on the roster. :)

rpmpit
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
[quote=rpmpit][quote="stlrz d":229kwse9]

Ok, I have to admit that in Madden, Davis is a much better receiver out of the backfield. But in real life, I don't think its a stretch to say we've downgraded the FB position on our team.[/quote:229kwse9]

I agree with you...the :roll: was for the "reason" to have Davis on the roster. :)[/quote:229kwse9]

Oh, that's how I took the :roll: Even though sarcasm can sometimes be difficult to detect on here, I'm usually pretty good at recognizing it.

Steel Life
11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm willing to give Ernster a break because he's dealing with a snapper who's basically off the street & whose snaps seemed a bit slow. Ernster can kill it, his confidence is the issue though.

As for the FB spot...I was all for signing Lorenzo Neal & thought we had enough RB talent that a swing player like Davis wasn't needed. I'd have no problem seeing McHugh as the FB just to see what he could do.

Essex couldn't be worse than Starks could he?

It's quite possible that every pick in the draft might need to go for OL.

Zeirline needs to go - now.

Foote needs to be replaced now.

Sweed needs to step up & contribute as the 4th WR now.

stlrz d
11-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm willing to give Ernster a break because he's dealing with a snapper who's basically off the street & whose snaps seemed a bit slow. Ernster can kill it, his confidence is the issue though.

As for the FB spot...I was all for signing Lorenzo Neal & thought we had enough RB talent that a swing player like Davis wasn't needed. I'd have no problem seeing McHugh as the FB just to see what he could do.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

phillyesq
11-18-2008, 12:23 AM
As for Davis, I know that Tomlin values versatility. And I will give Davis credit for his special teams play -- I think that he has performed well there. However, at FB, I'd rather have a guy who does one thing very well than somebody like Davis who is mediocre, at best, all around, but not particularly good at anything.

Oviedo
11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
[quote="Steel Life":35dg8be5]I'm willing to give Ernster a break because he's dealing with a snapper who's basically off the street & whose snaps seemed a bit slow. Ernster can kill it, his confidence is the issue though.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:[/quote:35dg8be5]

I'm confused about that one too?????????

Foote is not bad just limited. He is a run stuffer with average cover skills.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Stapleton did come back.

I believe the list you are referring to was for potential free agent targets for next year. Kreider is currently on the Rams roster, but is in the last year of his deal there, making him a free agent after this season.

Steel Life
11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
[quote="Steel Life":oj3p96wr]I'm willing to give Ernster a break because he's dealing with a snapper who's basically off the street & whose snaps seemed a bit slow. Ernster can kill it, his confidence is the issue though.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I'm confused about that one too?????????

Foote is not bad just limited. He is a run stuffer with average cover skills.[/quote:oj3p96wr]
I figured that one would get a few double-takes...
The problem I have with Foote is that he isn't a playmaker, plays poorly on the move & frequently gets his tackles going backwards.
This is highlighted by the fact that these are all things Timmons can do well. It's time to start Timmons next to Farrior & introduce a new "weapon" on defense.

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Stapleton did come back.

I believe the list you are referring to was for potential free agent targets for next year. Kreider is currently on the Rams roster, but is in the last year of his deal there, making him a free agent after this season.

My bad :oops: . But thanks for the clarification. That being said, I doubt he'll ever play for us again. For some reason (and against FWP wishes), Tomlin chose Russell over Kreider and that was that. Not sure we ever got a good explanation for the move? Maybe Tomlin is a racist :shock: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Stapleton did come back.

My bad :oops: . But thanks for the clarification. That being said, I doubt he'll ever play for us again. For some reason (and against FWP wishes), Tomlin chose Russell over Kreider and that was that. Not sure we ever got a good explanation for the move? Maybe Tomlin is a racist :shock: :lol:

Actually, they kept Carey Davis over Kreider. Davis is supposed to be a FB (I stress "supposed to be" here). Russell is not a fullback. Russell should tote the rock more, not block.

rpmpit
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Actually, they kept Carey Davis over Kreider. Davis is supposed to be a FB (I stress "supposed to be" here). Russell is not a fullback. Russell should tote the rock more, not block.

Right!! I got Russell on the brain I guess 'cause I'm happy they're finally getting him in the game. Davis is who I meant. Thanks AGAIN for the clarification!!