PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Game Balls: Week 10

SteelTorch
11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Just once, just once would I like for our offense to just dominate an opponent. But here it goes:

OFFENSE:

Ben Roethlisberger, without a doubt. He didn't throw a TD, but he basically carried this offense, especially considering all the penalties we drew. Way to go, Big Ben! :tt2

Runners up:

Matt Speath: He didn't have the best stats, but he filled in very nicely for Miller. Well done, Matt. You earned it. :wink:

Willie Parker: He had a very nice game. Would have scored a TD if it weren't for the penalty. Hines would have gotten one if he didn't draw all those penalties.

DEFENSE:

James Harrison, without a doubt! His safety turned out to be the difference-maker in this game.

Runners up:

Troy Polamalu: Had a great game and recorded his 4th pick, and ALMOST scored our only TD. I hope he makes it to the Pro Bowl this year, because he deserves it. Probably for the first time since 05. :D

Brett Keisel: Had a very solid game and recorded our only sack. I'm not counting the safey. (That wasn't a real sack.)

Special Teams evaluation:

Our punter sucked. Other than that, they looked decent. Jeff Reed gets a game ball for scoring the last-minute field goal.

Lame Balls: The refs for a ****load of penalties, Hines Ward for drawing three of those, Bruce Arians for a poorly called game, and whoever was responsible on our D for giving up several 3rd and longs.

Overall, the game shouldn't have been as close as it was. We had what, 115 yards in penalties? That proved to be the killer. And where was our pass rush? Brett Keisel recorded our only 'real' sack. Other than that, and giving up several 3rd and longs, our D played lights out.

PS: Ike needs to learn how to catch, and our O had better get with the program. Nuff said.

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Ben.

Troy.

ohblahitsme
11-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Ben.

Troy.
QFT.

SteelTorch
11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Ben.

Troy.
Dunno about that. Without Harrison's safety, we lose.

buckeyehoppy
11-16-2008, 09:37 PM
The irony of this game is that the Steelers dominated the stat sheet in every way except for the one that counts...the scoreboard.

Lots of guys played well enough to get game balls. Alas, only three get the nod, normally. So here goes:

Offense
We'll go with Ben here. FWP would warrant consideration, but he simply picked up where he left off. Ben has looked merely average the last three weeks and he frankly deserved to win today. He was sacked four times, but that hardly fazed him in the overall scheme of things.

Defense
Silverback. No safety. No win. That simple. Plus, he had a huge INT that snuffed out a drive.

Special Teams
Skippy swung the big stick in the Buccos, er., Steelers game today. He kicked in obviously difficult conditions, so his game ball is a foregone conclusion.

Lots of honorable mention: FWP, Troy, Spaeth, Hines.

This would have been a horrible loss. But the Steelers found a way to win, as they deserved to do.

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Ben.

Troy.

Not necessarily. Lets say there is no safety but there is no completion either. Or Rivers throws a pick...or even a pick 6. Or on the next play there it a TO. Or we stuff them and they punt...or...well, you get the idea. :)

SteelTorch
11-16-2008, 09:44 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2vcljqi6]Ben.

Troy.

Not necessarily. Lets say there is no safety but there is no completion either. Or Rivers throws a pick...or even a pick 6. Or on the next play there it a TO. Or we stuff them and they punt...or...well, you get the idea. :)[/quote:2vcljqi6]
I repeat...without it, we lose. And he had an INT. Well, you get the idea. :)

stlrz d
11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2e1y6e88]Ben.

Troy.

Not necessarily. Lets say there is no safety but there is no completion either. Or Rivers throws a pick...or even a pick 6. Or on the next play there it a TO. Or we stuff them and they punt...or...well, you get the idea. :)
I repeat...without it, we lose. And he had an INT. Well, you get the idea. :)[/quote:2e1y6e88]

As things played out, without it we lose. ;)

Ozey74
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Harrison!! He played great!!!

:tt2

Jooser
11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I gotta say Harrison. Chargers were driving (again) at the end of the half and looked to at least be heading towards a FG, and the INT took that away. Not to mention that little Safety he created. He's got my vote.

Iron Shiek
11-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Gotta go with stlrzd here. Troy was the man. How many times did he get in the backfield and slow or stop LT. It was crazy how good he played. He did miss one tackle that looked pretty bad though.

Fine, let him and Silverback split it!

:D

steelblood
11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Defensive line.
Silverback.
William Gay!!!!!!
Troy.
LeBeau.
Foote.
Ray Horton.
Other defensive assitant coaches.
Farrior
Clark.
Ike.
LeBeau's Mother (for giving birth to him)
The Devil (for making Silverback so mean)

frankthetank1
11-17-2008, 09:22 AM
ben
harrison but troy did play lights out as well

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
[quote="stlrz d":w73lkan8]Ben.

Troy.

I repeat...without it, we lose. And he had an INT. Well, you get the idea. :)[/quote:w73lkan8]

Come on Torch, you don't really think that the game plays out exactly as it did if we don't get that safety and the game ends 10-9, do you?

Not to knock JH and the safety, but take this into consideration......Let us say that instead of a sack, the Chargers get an incompletion. That play occured on third down, so they are now punting from their own end zone. Now, even though they are backed up, let us say that Scifres gets off an average punt with and average net (43.5 for this game). So, Steelers are still down 7, but start the drive on the Chargers 47. Instead, they were down 5 but starting on their own 6, a 47 yard difference. Isn't it at least reasonable to suggest that the game goes differently from that point on?

papillon
11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Silverback - safety, INT, sack, forced fumble, 2 tackles and 2 assists. winner, winner, chicken dinner

Franchise - No INTs, great decisions, 100 plus passer rating, 300 plus yards, a win and over 40 throws to boot. This type of quarterback play will take the Steelers deep into the playoffs.

Honorable mention:

Polamalu - He's a GD freak of nature
Gay - Good tackler and solid in coverage
Tomlin - Picking up a veteran cornerback paid off yesterday
Kiesel/Smith - 8 tackles and many disruptions of plays. Smith is nearly unblockable

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not counting the safey. (That wasn't a real sack.)

Any time the QB gets hit behind the line of scrimmage and fumbles the ball, it counts as a sack. So Harrison rightfully deserves that sack. The safety, however, should have gone to Woodley, who tackled the o-lineman in the end zone that picked up Rivers' fumble.

Then again, I was pretty far away from that play, since it took place in the south end zone in front of SN1, while my seats are way up at the top of the upper deck bleachers in the north end zone, and if I recall correctly, it was still snowing (actually hailing...those were hard little pellets, not soft flakes) a little bit in the early second quarter (although nothing like the whiteout blizzard that occurred as the teams were finishing warmups and the field became completely covered in white in a matter of minutes).