PDA

View Full Version : Coverage Unit Success

Oviedo
11-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Wasn't it just last year that everyone on the board was calling for the head of the Special team's coaches. From the Post Gazette:

Kick coverage turnaround

Despite having the league's No. 1 defense, the Steelers' most consistent unit might be their kick and punt coverage teams.

One year after those units cost them several games and ranked among the worst in the league, the Steelers rank second in kick coverage (20.2 yards) and third (5.0) in punt coverage in the NFL. What's more, they haven't allowed any return longer than 40 yards.

Shows that knee jerk reactions and the "fire them" mentality whenever you hit rough spots has little place when you run a professional organization.

stlrz d
11-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I know what you're getting at, but Arians needs to show over these next few games that he's willing to adapt his offense to the personnel (or lack thereof) running it.

But I've never been a "fire him now" guy. Fire him after the season if he can't change his ways: yes. Fire him now: no.

steelblood
11-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Coverage teams have been great.

Unfortunately, that advantage has been totally neutralized by our terrible return game. Do we ever create a crease for the returner to run through?

pittpete
11-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Coverage is only half of it.
Our return game is horrendous.
We have quite a few starters on the coverage units IIRC.

sd steel
11-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm glad the coverage teams are doing better, but when Reed kicks it to the 15-20 yard line, and they get 20 yards the opposing team starts at our 35 or 40.

As for the punts, are punters have been only punting the ball 35 yards, and with a five yard return we are at net 30. I think we have been rather lucky because we seem to lose the battle when it comes to starting field position. But the coverage has been good because we are on top of the returner when they catch it.

papillon
11-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Unfortunately, that advantage has been totally neutralized by our terrible return game. Do we ever create a crease for the returner to run through?

:Agree

If the return game becomes a weapon instead of "please catch it, please catch it, okay you caught it now fall down without fumbling please...", then I'll say keep Ligashevsky; otherwise, I'd be all for letting him go.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM

If the return game becomes a weapon instead of "please catch it, please catch it, okay you caught it now fall down without fumbling please...", then I'll say keep Ligashevsky; otherwise, I'd be all for letting him go.

Pappy

We need to invest a Round 3 or 4 pick on a legitimate returner.

I'll continue to beat the dead horse but I still say that our return game this season would have been better if we had kept Reid over Dallas Baker. Baker offers nothing and will likely not be on this team next year.

papillon
11-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Pappy

I'll continue to beat the dead horse but I still say that our return game this season would have been better if we had kept Reid over Dallas Baker. Baker offers nothing and will likely not be on this team next year.

I wonder who made that call? I agree, that, Reid could have made a difference in the return game and, surely, provided the same offensive punch as Baker. Either way, Ligashevsky has been on my S-list for awhile, so, even though the coverage units are performing great until he gets the whole package going, I say hire Bobby April away from his current team.

Pappy

RussBII
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Pappy

I wonder who made that call? I agree, that, Reid could have made a difference in the return game and, surely, provided the same offensive punch as Baker. Either way, Ligashevsky has been on my S-list for awhile, so, even though the coverage units are performing great until he gets the whole package going, I say hire Bobby April away from his current team.

Pappy

Wow, i'd cut off a toe to get Bobby April...

Again, I keep saying this, I think its the blocking as much as, if not more than the returner.

papillon
11-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Wow, i'd cut off a toe to get Bobby April...

Again, I keep saying this, I think its the blocking as much as, if not more than the returner.

A lot of attitude goes into playing special teams as well and that's why the St coach is important he has to be able to instill the attitude that "...this is how I make a name for myself and get some playing time..." to the players on the STs. I believe that Harrison is on the coverage units, so that, other players can see that STs can be a path to being part of the 11 that play every down. Not to mention that you don't have to teach Harrison attitude, it comes naturally.

Pappy

SteelStallion
11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
They now have one of the better special teams in the NFL along with one of the best LB cores. I don't think Tomlin get nearly enough credit for what he's done in the short time he's been here. And I have no doubt he'll get to the rest of it with time. As for his staff- I just don't know- like you guyshave said, these assistants didn't wow anybody from the time they were hired. I guess we'll see.