PDA

View Full Version : Woodley, Parker and Big Ben on track to play

fordfixer
11-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Woodley, Parker and Big Ben on track to play
Posted November 13, 2008 7 :42 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... epressbox/ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/)

The Steelers should have the best pass-rushing tandem in the NFL when they host the San Diego Chargers Sunday.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley practiced today and is on track to play in the 4:15 p.m. game at Heinz Field. Woodley didn't play last Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts because of a calf injury.

"Based on what he did today, I feel good about him," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Woodley and Harrison have combined for 20 1/2 sacks with the latter notching 11 of them. The Steelers need to generate more of a pass rush Sunday than they did against Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, and it all starts with Harrison and Woodley.

-- Running back Willie Parker practiced today and it looks like he'll be good to go Sunday.

As well as Mewelde Moore has played in his absence, Parker gives a running game that has struggled a different dimension.

And, Tomlin said, it goes beyond his sheer speed.

"He's a tremendous competitor," Tomlin said, "and he's physically and mentally tough."

-- The mystery over left tackle Marvel Smith's back spasms continues. The ninth-year veteran did not practice again today, making it likely that Max Starks will start his fifth consecutive game in place of Smith.

Tomlin has said Smith's back troubles aren't related to the ones that ended his season prematurely in 2007 and required surgery. When asked if Smith's current problems are potentially season-ending, Tomlin said, "Not at this point, no."

The Steelers will be short-handed in the secondary Sunday -- cornerback William Gay will make his first career NFL start opposite Ike Taylor -- but good news may be on the horizon.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden, who had been playing at a Pro Bowl-level before breaking his right forearm last month, said he is hoping to play in the Steelers' Nov. 20 game against the Bengals.

"I'm ahead of schedule," McFadden said.

McFadden added that the cast he had been wearing following surgery came off two weeks ago.

-- Tomlin on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger practicing for a second day in a row: "Practice is a good thing."

costanza2k1
11-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Our team is getting healthy at the right time, let's hope it stays this way. It's go time baby!

SteelTorch
11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
That's great news. I'm most excited to hear about Parker and Woodley returning.

Not to sound like a homer, but despite the many disappointments this season, I like the way Tomlin has been handling his team. 8)

AkronSteel
11-13-2008, 11:32 PM
This is excellent news....I hope that these guys can stay healthy finally. The Chargers are not a very physical team that is going to come in a beat on us. It will be nice for the guys to have a pseudo bye week after the Bengals game as well.....maybe the team can actually get somewhat healthy for the stretch run. Things don't look good for Marvel and Deshea for the rest of the year though....those injuries could really hurt.

Mel Blount's G
11-14-2008, 02:52 AM
One way or another, I hope Ben is disciplined for his mediocre performnce these last few games.

Now here me out, I'm not a hater, doom and gloomer. However, I felt that Noll and Cowher would never let any one player become a prima donna who was above stern discipline. Is Ben? What with his huge $$$, jersey sales, talkshows, face o' the franchise, etc...? I sure hope not. Do these less than desirable performances involve more than him? Of course, O-line struggles are pretty well analyzed here. Not to mention santonio, particularily since his weed suspension, has not lived up to the hype and expectations as well as not being on the same page as Ben at times

My older brother lives in SD and is a die-hard bolt fan (yes, there are a few). And we got talking a day or two ago and made some comparisons between our teams and qbs: I told him I think Ben has a Superman complex: He's experienced winning and big $$ at a young age and now attempts to make the big play, win the game, etc., on nearly every play. He has ignored and/or missed obvious checkdown or throw-away opportunities a number of times this season. My bro said he sees the same thing with Rivers - always looking for the big one and trying to put the game on his shoulders and instead making some horrible reads and mistakes. He said to me that if Marty was still coaching there this would not happen repeatedly and that he'd be pulling Rivers aside and giving him the ol', "Listen son, if you can't throw the ball away or make the simple pass to the check off receiver, we're gonna run the ball every g**damn play. And your skinny, white a@@ may see the pine.....boy." After hearing this I thought, "Damn straight. Marty junior (Bill C.) would say the same thing to Ben except he'd accentuate his point with some spit into the grill of Ben."

Are we missing this? Did not Noll hurt the poor, sensitive feelings of young TB with similar conversations and actions? Are our young billionaire players, not just on our team but across the league, beyond the real, old-school disciplinary, my-way-or-the-highway, doghouse coaching? Does Ben even need this or....? What say you planet steeler dwellers?

AngryAsian
11-14-2008, 05:14 AM
One way or another, I hope Ben is disciplined for his mediocre performnce these last few games.

Now here me out, I'm not a hater, doom and gloomer. However, I felt that Noll and Cowher would never let any one player become a prima donna who was above stern discipline. Is Ben? What with his huge $$$, jersey sales, talkshows, face o' the franchise, etc...? I sure hope not. Do these less than desirable performances involve more than him? Of course, O-line struggles are pretty well analyzed here. Not to mention santonio, particularily since his weed suspension, has not lived up to the hype and expectations as well as not being on the same page as Ben at times

My older brother lives in SD and is a die-hard bolt fan (yes, there are a few). And we got talking a day or two ago and made some comparisons between our teams and qbs: I told him I think Ben has a Superman complex: He's experienced winning and big $$ at a young age and now attempts to make the big play, win the game, etc., on nearly every play. He has ignored and/or missed obvious checkdown or throw-away opportunities a number of times this season. My bro said he sees the same thing with Rivers - always looking for the big one and trying to put the game on his shoulders and instead making some horrible reads and mistakes. He said to me that if Marty was still coaching there this would not happen repeatedly and that he'd be pulling Rivers aside and giving him the ol', "Listen son, if you can't throw the ball away or make the simple pass to the check off receiver, we're gonna run the ball every g**damn play. And your skinny, white a@@ may see the pine.....boy." After hearing this I thought, "Damn straight. Marty junior (Bill C.) would say the same thing to Ben except he'd accentuate his point with some spit into the grill of Ben."

Are we missing this? Did not Noll hurt the poor, sensitive feelings of young TB with similar conversations and actions? Are our young billionaire players, not just on our team but across the league, beyond the real, old-school disciplinary, my-way-or-the-highway, doghouse coaching? Does Ben even need this or....? What say you planet steeler dwellers?

Joe Montana had no arm and was not noted for airing it out, but the guy won games. He was noted for being cerebral and made minimal mistakes. I could care less if Ben wants to make the big play, he was more successful when he "managed the game." He better check himself.... because Ben the game manager won 15 games his rookie season and won a Lombardi in his second year. I hope Ben doesn't fall prey to the "I've already climbed the summit" way of thinking. Statistically, his SB XL performance was horrible. I just want progress from Ben.... but lately all I see is regression. :(

ghettoscott
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Cornerback Bryant McFadden, who had been playing at a Pro Bowl-level before breaking his right forearm last month, said he is hoping to play in the Steelers' Nov. 20 game against the Bengals.

McFadden added that the cast he had been wearing following surgery came off two weeks ago.

Great news!!! I am interested in what Gay can do this weekend though, it would be nice to see him light someone up.

frankthetank1
11-14-2008, 10:30 AM
i agree about ben having some kind of consiquence for his play. i could care less about stats or anything else. i love ugly wins. winning is the only thing that matters. he needs to get back on track this week. im sure he will, the bolts pass defense is terrible. i am very excited to see gay start. i think he is going to be a very good player

papillon
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Joe Montana had no arm and was not noted for airing it out, but the guy won games. He was noted for being cerebral and made minimal mistakes. I could care less if Ben wants to make the big play, he was more successful when he "managed the game." He better check himself.... because Ben the game manager won 15 games his rookie season and won a Lombardi in his second year. I hope Ben doesn't fall prey to the "I've already climbed the summit" way of thinking. Statistically, his SB XL performance was horrible. I just want progress from Ben.... but lately all I see is regression. :(

:Agree I've been saying this for awhile; wins are more important than stats. If you win games the rest will take care of itself.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Great news!!! I am interested in what Gay can do this weekend though, it would be nice to see him light someone up.

I don't know why BMac is targetting the Bengal game. Perhaps because he is worried about Gay on Housh all game if Ike mans up Ocho (or vice versa). If he can't go this weekend, is the bone going to heal that much more 4 days later when we face Cincy on Thursday night? I think he should take the Bengal game off too, then get those extra 10 days before we travel up to New England. That way, he should be fully healed and ready for the stretch run and the playoffs.

Mel Blount's G
11-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Does nobody want to come out and say they think that Tomlin lacks the disciplinary intensity/philosophy of previous steeler coaches? Is he too much of a buddy and not enough of a coach to some of these guys? Maybe reserving judgement for/on a young coach in his 2nd year is okay and correct. Obviously I'm concerned though.

I thought Tomlin had the PERECT opportunity to make a statement to Ben by starting leftwich last weekend yet cover his a@@ in the media under the quasi-b.s. guise of "We (I) feel Ben's shoulder (or fill in whatever body part has been most covered/hyped by the media at the time i.e finger, hand, testicle, etc..) needs a chance to heal and we will be starting Byron so to give Ben's (fill in body part) a chance to heal properly". MT could have pulled this off although not without some stealth and cleverness. But as a head coach, that's what he's paid for.

Yes, winning is the bottom line. But even winning doesn't necessarily justify, or cause us to ignore, poor play/decisions/execution by the team and individual players. I strongly feel we could very easily be 4-5 or worse and that saying "Well, but we've won..." doesn't cut it.

Anywho, the STEELERS still RULE and ALWAYS WILL.

I LOVE MY TEAM AND ALWAYS WILL
:tt2 :Beer :tt1 :Beer :tt2 :Beer :tt1 :Beer :tt2 :Beer :tt1 :Beer :tt2 :Beer :tt1 :Beer :tt2