PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin answer's questions

fordfixer
11-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Throughout the 2008 season, Coach Mike Tomlin will answer questions exclusively for Steelers Digest and Steelers.com. The following is one of those sessions. For the complete interview, pick up the latest issue of Steelers Digest.

http://news.steelers.com/article/99021/

Q. What is good cornerback play?

A. Keeping the ball in front of you, first and foremost. Taking of advantages of opportunities presented to you. And making people work to get completions. I think itís all those things. Collectively, thatís the measure of a corner. You have to be opportunistic, no doubt. Interceptions donít define you, but in a lot of ways it measures you. You have to keep the ball in front of you, and youíve got to make people work to get completions.

Q. Is Ike Taylor playing a lot better lately, or is it just becoming obvious to people like me?

A. This is the thing: during the previous conversation we had, you mentioned that it looked like Bryant McFadden was challenging more throws. He sees more throws. Itís not about the ball thrown your way, itís about the balls that maybe arenít thrown your way because the quarterback looks over there, isnít real happy with what he sees and goes somewhere else. Ike is good at denying throw opportunities.

Q. How does a player do that?

A. Heís simply playing close to receivers. Heís getting in and out of transitions really well. Heís doing a nice job of it.

Q. Can you allow yourself to sit back and enjoy how well this defense is playing right now?

A. I wish I could. You donít have time to pat yourself on the back or beat yourself up in this league. You just really donít. Usually, by the time I get out of the shower after a football game, mentally Iím moving on. Youíve got a new week and new challenges. No question that was an outstanding performance that we had by the defense in Washington, but weíve had a bunch of them. But it doesnít take long, by the time Iím finished drying off Iím thinking about Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. Thatís just the nature of the thing. I think the people who are consistently good have that mentality. The people who ride the roller coaster do just that. They ride the roller coaster. They take a snapshot of their successful moments and they probably beat themselves up too much when theyíre unsuccessful.

Q. When a defense has two good edge rushers, as the Steelers do with James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, what does that prevent an offense from doing in terms of protecting the passer?

A. It does two things. It makes the ball come out on time. It cuts down on the amount of obscure routes that you see. Or it reduces the number of routes that you see. But either way, itís advantage: defense. If people want to take shots at you, throw the ball vertically or run obscure routes, they have to max-protect it; so there or two or three guys in routes as opposed to four and five. Or, if they want to get four or five out, they have to play it straight and the ballís coming out in a timely manner or itís not coming out. Thatís as a significant part of rush and coverage working together as anything. Ikeís able to stand out there and play football and play routes close, because heís not seeing a lot of double and triple moves.

Q. As the secondary coach of a defense with a rush like that, do you coach your guys differently?

A. You donít change the way you coach, because good secondary play happens naturally. They get a sense. Thatís something that evolves, the relationship between the rush and the coverage. If you try to coach it, itís somewhat artificial because every weekís different. It wonít take long during the course of a game for a secondary man to get a sense of what kind of consistent pressure heís getting and make natural adjustments accordingly. Sometimes I think we as coaches have a natural tendency to want to control everything, and that is not always good.

Q. Do defensive backs get into zones like players at other positions, like quarterbacks or running backs, where theyíre seeing things almost in slow motion?

A. I believe that there is such a thing as a zone that exists, not only for quarterbacks and cornerbacks in football, but in all sports. Itís a guy becoming one with his mind and his body in terms of what heís capable of doing, and with a great deal of confidence. Thereís pockets where people experience that.

ghettoscott
11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Usually, by the time I get out of the shower after a football game, mentally Iím moving on. Youíve got a new week and new challenges. No question that was an outstanding performance that we had by the defense in Washington, but weíve had a bunch of them. But it doesnít take long, by the time Iím finished drying off Iím thinking about Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. Thatís just the nature of the thing. I think the people who are consistently good have that mentality. The people who ride the roller coaster do just that. They ride the roller coaster. They take a snapshot of their successful moments and they probably beat themselves up too much when theyíre unsuccessful.

...ghey. :tt2

Shawn
11-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Usually, by the time I get out of the shower after a football game, mentally Iím moving on. Youíve got a new week and new challenges. No question that was an outstanding performance that we had by the defense in Washington, but weíve had a bunch of them. But it doesnít take long, by the time Iím finished drying off Iím thinking about Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. Thatís just the nature of the thing. I think the people who are consistently good have that mentality. The people who ride the roller coaster do just that. They ride the roller coaster. They take a snapshot of their successful moments and they probably beat themselves up too much when theyíre unsuccessful.

:lol:

MeetJoeGreene
11-14-2008, 01:29 PM

That just proves how unqualified he is a coach. He should be thinking about Peyton Manning while he is still IN the shower.....err. that doesn't sound quite right.