Maurice Morris Seattle UFA
Chris Perry** Cincinnati UFA
Michael Pittman Denver UFA
Dominic Rhodes Indianapolis UFA
Darren Sproles San Diego UFA
Aaron Stecker New Orleans UFA
Derrick Ward New York Giants UFA
Jason Wright Cleveland UFA

The Steelers are last in the league at converting 3rd and 1. As much as I like IWP, he does not appear to be the correct tool for the Steelers to 'Smash the Run'. May we please have Brandon Jacobs?

Oviedo
11-13-2008, 11:20 AM
We are fine at RB. Our stats are a direct result of Mendenhall getting hurt and underutilizing Russell. However we should have taken Owen Schmitt.

No thanks in Free Agency.

MeetJoeGreene
11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
We are fine at RB. Our stats are a direct result of Mendenhall getting hurt and underutilizing Russell. However we should have taken Owen Schmitt.

No thanks in Free Agency.

From a RB perspective, I totally agree.

I would, however, like to see a better FB than Davis. Either someone from that list or an UDFA from college.

Jooser
11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
YES! Schmitt Happens! He was perfect for us. Hell of a blocker and can run like a beast.

Discipline of Steel
11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
From the surprising stat of the day department...

Pittsburgh ranks 24th in the NFL in rushing yards per game and is tied for 30th in the NFL in yards per rushing attempt at 3.5 yards per rush. Not to mention, we have opted to pass on 11 out of 12 times we have faced 3rd and 2. (this is in addition to being 2nd to last in the league at converting 3rd and 1) Can we blame that entirely on the OL? We have ZERO power runners and ZERO true fullbacks. Im officially jealous of Baltimore... :stirpot

Iron Shiek
11-13-2008, 02:35 PM
From the surprising stat of the day department...

Pittsburgh ranks 24th in the NFL in rushing yards per game and is tied for 30th in the NFL in yards per rushing attempt at 3.5 yards per rush. Not to mention, we have opted to pass on 11 out of 12 times we have faced 3rd and 2. (this is in addition to being 2nd to last in the league at converting 3rd and 1) Can we blame that entirely on the OL? We have ZERO power runners and ZERO true fullbacks. Im officially jealous of Baltimore... :stirpot

Well that is a result of many factors two of which you mentioned and I'd say being down to our 3rd and 4th string running backs doesn't help those stats either.

Discipline of Steel
11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
All I know is that under Bruce Arians, we have lost our ability to, as Coach Tomlin puts it, 'Smash the Run.' We just dont have the personnel, OL or RB, nor do we have the mindset (as evidenced by 11/12 passes on 3rd and 2). For me, it is hard to see the Steelers operate as anything other than a smash-mouth football team. It is what I grew up with as a fan. We all remember that torturous year where Cowher became enamored with Tommy Maddox passing before the Steelers put that experiment to rest.

I just read an article where Coach Tomlin admitted that the Steelers were still looking for an identity on offense. Hello! The Steelers are supposed to be a smash mouth team, always have been! Retain the identity and impose our will. I dont want to see BA slide us into some jerky passing offense that doesnt fit Bens style and gets him beat up. I drink Steeler kool-aid by the gallon but it looks to me like maybe BA is not!

One final note...last year Big Ben threw a record number of touchdowns and FWP scored a paltry two. I think this indicates a trend of not being able to run short yardage effectively. A trend that happens to coincide with BA assuming the OC position. Please forgive me Chuck Noll but I have to turn my back on BA, he is not drinking his Steeler kool-aid. I officially want him gone. (at the end of the season)

frankthetank1
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
thats a terrible list of fb's. a lot of those guys are older than dirt. how has schmitt done this season? i also wanted the steelers to draft him. jacobs is going to get a huge deal from the giants.

papillon
11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Why do the Steelers need a good fullback? :wft We don't use the one we have. :twisted: A fullback is just a roster spot holder for Bruce Arians.

Pappy

Oviedo
11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
thats a terrible list of fb's. a lot of those guys are older than dirt. how has schmitt done this season? i also wanted the steelers to draft him. jacobs is going to get a huge deal from the giants.

Schmitt has had a minimal impact in Seattle.

5 rushes for 21 yards and 5 catches for 22 yards. I don't think he is a good fit for Holmgren's offense.