PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Report - Steelers active?

Discipline of Steel
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Pittsburgh (by Pro Football Weekly)

Potential UFAs: QB Charlie Batch, CB Fernando Bryant, OT Trai Essex, MLB Keyaron Fox, OLB Andre Frazier, OG Chris Kemoeatu, QB Byron Leftwich, CB Bryant McFadden, DE Orpheus Roye, OT Marvel Smith, OT Max Starks, WR Nate Washington.

Potential RFAs: OT Willie Colon, OLB Arnold Harrison, CB Anthony Madison, TE Sean McHugh, FS Anthony Smith.

Analysis: Everyone knows the Steelers rarely make big splashes in free agency, but they were strongly considering doing just that last offseason with an eye on improving the defensive line, a position where they do need to get younger. In other words, the Steelers will make a bold move if itís the right fit. However, whether they have the flexibility to sign a high-profile free agent remains to be seen, considering they have several key free agents whom they could bring back. Teams in need of CB help are likely to take a long look at Bryant McFadden, who isnít a household name, but he was arguably the Steelersí best cornerback before suffering a broken arm Oct. 19 at Cincinnati. The Steelers probably will try to re-sign him to a long-term contract. OLG Chris Kemoeatu could be back; at times this season he has played quite well. OLT Marvel Smithís future likely is tied to his health; back problems have caused him to miss time in each of the past two seasons. WR Nate Washington has enhanced his value with his play in í08, but if he wants a starting job, it will be elsewhere, given the presence of Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes. OT Max Starks could be back if Smith doesnít return.

Its nice to see that we are likely to be active in the FA market this offseason. We can dream a little dream...

Oviedo
11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
The only must have on that list is resigning McFadden. I would tag him in a heartbeat.

I would also not hesitate to keep the following RFAs: Colon, McHugh

I would also try to keep Trai Essex because he can play both Tackle and Guard and should not be expensive. Good depth player to have.

RuthlessBurgher
11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
The only must have on that list is resigning McFadden. I would tag him in a heartbeat.

I would also not hesitate to keep the following RFAs: Colon, McHugh

I would also try to keep Trai Essex because he can play both Tackle and Guard and should not be expensive. Good depth player to have.

They'll likely tender offers to all of the RFA's, but there is no need to offer any more than the minimum RFA tender this year, though. That would give them draft pick compensation based on where they were originally drafted if another team signed them and we chose not to match. Smith with fetch a 3rd round pick, Colon a 4th, and McHugh a 7th. Harrison and Madison could leave with no draft pick compensation since they were undrafted. No need to give a higher tender (like they did with Nate) to any of these guys, but I imagine that they all at least get tendered.

SteelerNation1
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
McFadden will sign a 6 year 50+ million dollar deal somewhere IMO. He is as good as gone unless we tag him at 9+ million for next yr. Not likely I'm afraid.

SteelTorch
11-13-2008, 05:34 PM
McFadden will sign a 6 year 50+ million dollar deal somewhere IMO. He is as good as gone unless we tag him at 9+ million for next yr. Not likely I'm afraid.
I'm not sure about that. His injury and lost time might be a blessing in disguise since it might lower his trade value and cause other teams to overlook him. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

As far as Marvel, I say cut him. He's a great LT when healthy, but that's exactly why he's not worth it. He's never fully healthy these days.

Jigawatts
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure about that. His injury and lost time might be a blessing in disguise since it might lower his trade value and cause other teams to overlook him. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

That's what I'm hoping for too, but I'm guessing the secret is out. I don't
think he'll be overlooked. :cry:

SteelerNation1
11-13-2008, 08:33 PM

That's what I'm hoping for too, but I'm guessing the secret is out. I don't
think he'll be overlooked. :cry:
It is a certainty I'm afraid. All offseason I was secretly praying they'd resign him. He was one guy I thought they'd "take a risk" on and sign him. I guess we all should've seen this coming when he hired Drew Rosenhaus a year or so ago.