PDA

View Full Version : It is on now: Roethlisberger gets the message...

costanza2k1
11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Roethlisberger gets the message, resumes midweek practice

By James Walker
ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin provided the hint, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got the message.

After missing significant practice time the past two weeks, Roethlisberger practiced with the Steelers (6-3) Wednesday despite his sprained right shoulder.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Participating with the team Wednesday has Roethlisberger optimistic that he will play Sunday against the San Diego Chargers (4-5).

"Oh yeah, I'm practicing," he said. "I'm going to practice today and every day, unless something happens. It always helps when you're actually out there doing stuff and guys can hear your voice and see the ball come out of your hands. So I think it will help a lot."

Tomlin told the media Tuesday during his weekly news conference that the lack of practice time could be one of the reasons Roethlisberger is struggling. Roethlisberger has eight interceptions in his past three games, and his timing with receivers has looked off at times.

Prior to the past two games, Roethlisberger rested his ailing shoulder during the week and returned to practice Friday, while backup quarterback Byron Leftwich got most of the first-team reps.

RussBII
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Good, this bodes well for the Steelers, and ill for that San Diego Defense...

Ozey74
11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Good, this bodes well for the Steelers, and ill for that San Diego Defense...

Agreed! What also bodes ill for the SD Chargers is the weather conditions for Sunday. Dreary and a high of 38!! That's a far cry from the bright sun and the 80 degree temps of SD.

:tt2

Iron Shiek
11-12-2008, 04:12 PM
This is not even newsworthy in my opinion. He SHOULD be practicing. Hopefully this will quell everyone's fears or thoughts about him being hurt (or further worry you that he is now practicing hurt and therefore continue to cry for his benching...I don't know which it is).

costanza2k1
11-12-2008, 04:15 PM
This is not even newsworthy in my opinion. He SHOULD be practicing. Hopefully this will quell everyone's fears or thoughts about him being hurt (or further worry you that he is now practicing hurt and therefore continue to cry for his benching...I don't know which it is).

If anyone calls for his benching now that he practices...it's lame. He face of our franchise and he's proving he can practice so there is no question any longer.

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
It should help that our defense is first in the league against the pass (171.1 yards per game allowed through the air) while the Chargers are dead last in the league against the pass (264.9 yards per game allowed through the air). They've also given up a league high 17 TD passes. So much for the dominance of Cromartie and Jammer.

Iron Shiek
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM

If anyone calls for his benching now that he practices...it's lame. He face of our franchise and he's proving he can practice so there is no question any longer.

But remember, alot of people here know more than Ben himself or the medical staff how hurt he is simply based on his play. :stirpot

RussBII
11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
This is an odd request but maybe someone has the info:

I'd like to know how many days of practice Ben has missed per week, and his stats for that weeks games.

I'm willing to bet you'll see that its not just a week by week thing, its cumulative.

What I'd really like to see is a "time to throw" stat per game with this week by week practice chart...

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2008, 04:57 PM

I'd like to know how many days of practice Ben has missed per week, and his stats for that weeks games.

I'm willing to bet you'll see that its not just a week by week thing, its cumulative.

What I'd really like to see is a "time to throw" stat per game with this week by week practice chart...

"Time to throw" stats? Sorry, but our equipment is not able to calculate nanoseconds. :lol:

RussBII
11-12-2008, 05:01 PM

"Time to throw" stats? Sorry, but our equipment is not able to calculate nanoseconds. :lol:

Hah, i meant, from snap to release... just an average. It'd be a neat stat to have. You could see it by completions vs incompletions, etc.

This is what video games have done to me, I want stats on everything... I hope my afterlife is a searchable database of my life. I wanna know how many beers I drank, how many times I've listened to "The Joker" while drunk and been like "yeaaaah maaan..."

I'm a dork.

Iron Shiek
11-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Hah, i meant, from snap to release... just an average. It'd be a neat stat to have. You could see it by completions vs incompletions, etc.

This is what video games have done to me, I want stats on everything... I hope my afterlife is a searchable database of my life. I wanna know how many beers I drank, how many times I've listened to "The Joker" while drunk and been like "yeaaaah maaan..."

I'm a dork.

What a concept...that would be sweet!!!

Jooser
11-13-2008, 12:22 AM
That's great he's practicing. I guess it will be all Santonio's fault if another lead gets blown by INTs :lol: . I hope he's ready to rock, this is a game we need while the Rats get whacked by the Giants this weekend.

sd steel
11-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Why Ben and not Hines?

Seems to me that I heard Hines sits out most of the week. Wouldn't that throw off timing as well?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-13-2008, 09:43 AM

I tried getting this question in on Bouchette's weekly chat this week. I recall reading somewhere that Ben has only practiced Friday twice this year, and another time he started practising Thursday but only handed off on that day.

If you consider the amount of time he has missed along with Hines (missed some practice time with his knee and I believe misses every Wednesday as a vet), Oline (Max and Stapleton had to be added through the season), and the rotating RBs (Parker missing significant time, RM gone for the year, and new guys coming in off the street then being dumped - pun intended :lol: ) this offense has not had a lot of time to work together on a regular basis. Small, often overlooked, detail but could be very important if that can change moving forward.