PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Presser News-Fernando Bryant Signed

costanza2k1
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Steelers signed Fernando Bryant...just heard that.

costanza2k1
11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/11/11/06/Bryant_99449.jpg

PITTSBURGH ó The Steelers added depth and experience to their defensive backfield today when they signed 10-year veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Bryant (5-10, 175), was originally selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the first round (26th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft. He played five years with the Jaguars (1999-03) and four years with the Detroit Lions (2004-07) before signing with the New England Patriots as a free agent on March 20, 2008. Bryant spent the preseason with New England before being released on Aug. 30.

Bryant has made 109 starts in 110 games played during nine NFL seasons. He has recorded 509 tackles (435 solo), seven interceptions, defended 88 passes and recovered seven fumbles.

Bryant will wear uniform No. 31 for the Steelers.

The Steelers made room on their roster for Bryant by releasing rookie linebacker Donovan Woods, and subsequently signing him to the teamís practice squad. Woods originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent and made the teamís original 53-man roster. He was released on Oct. 25, but re-signed with the teamís active roster on Nov. 8.

The Steelers also added rookie safety Ryan Mundy to their practice squad. Mundy, a Pittsburgh native, was the second of two sixth-round draft picks (194th overall) by the Steelers in the 2008 NFL Draft. He was released during the preseason.

Second-year safety Grant Mason was released from the teamís practice squad in order to make room for Mundy.

Oviedo
11-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I really like the Ryan Mundy move. I've been waiting for this. Like Mike Humpal he looked tobe on his way to making the roster when he got injured. I like him behind Ryan Clark better than either Tyrone Carter or Anthony Smith.

I guess this means Bmac won't be back soon and Deshea is out for this coming weekend.

costanza2k1
11-11-2008, 01:34 PM
With you there on Mundy. I thought that if he had stayed healthy then Carter wouldn't have been on the team. He should be a good player for us next year.

calmkiller
11-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Hells yes. Ryan Mundy baby!

Iron Shiek
11-11-2008, 04:40 PM

Dang where you been man!? Glad to see your still around...it only took a 'neer signing to get you back in here.

I agree with everyone, good move with Mundy. Let's hope Bryant can prove semi-useful. Was Tomlin pulling a reverse-Cheaters move with that signing. Usually the Cheaters sign players ahead of games with their former teams. I think this is the 2nd time I've equated a move by Tomlin as Cheater-esque...oh well, if it works...why not.

Jooser
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Ryan Mundy is a very solid safety. I like that addition. He'll start in a year or two.

DukieBoy
11-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Glad as heck to see Mundy back. He's gonna be a player for us for quite a while, barring more serious injury.

Now, what's with Humpal. He had potential. Any news on him possibly getting re-signed?

Jigawatts
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Why this guy instead of Ty Law?

costanza2k1
11-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't think Ty wanted to play the 4th CB position in the long run. He maybe starting with the Jets.

Shawn
11-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Any team starting Ty "Nursing Home" Law is in deep deep doo.

buckeyehoppy
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Glad as heck to see Mundy back. He's gonna be a player for us for quite a while, barring more serious injury.

Now, what's with Humpal. He had potential. Any news on him possibly getting re-signed?

Humpal was IRed during camp, so he'll have a chance to get back with the team next season. I liked what I saw from him during camp.

Mundy is also handy to have around and his upside has to be through the stratosphere compared with Smith or Carter.

Signing Bryant was necessary. While I'm not as down on Gay as some, the team needs some help and depth from that spot. Gay still doesn't have it all together at CB. Bryant is a decent veteran talent who should help while the position is banged up and provide some experience to the younger guys (like Gay).

buckeyehoppy
11-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Dang where you been man!? Glad to see your still around...it only took a 'neer signing to get you back in here.

Dude, he's been killing calm...don't you ever read the sig lines? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Mendenhall, Humpal, and Mundy. The injury situation has trickled down to the draft board this year.