PDA

View Full Version : If Not Arians - Then?...

Steel Life
11-11-2008, 02:23 AM
There's a lot of bitching about Arians & his game-plans (or lack thereof :wink:) & deservedly so. So here's the question...if you could replace him after the season, then who would you choose?

My choices...Tom Clements (QB Coach, GB) first followed by John Ramsdell (QB Coach, SD) & Pat Shurmur (QB Coach, PHI).

Clements for the obvious reason - he & Ben were tight & had success. Plus, he knows the GM & team officials from his previous tenure so ramp-up time would be minimal. His merits?...when he was the OC for Buffalo - they improved in points, McGahee had two of his best seasons & they cut down sacks allowed.

Ramsdell - He is either a good coach or a lucky one as he has worked with Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger & now Philip Rivers. All three are guys who hang tough in the pocket, see the play develop & let it rip.

Shurmur - It's more of what he did when McNabb went down the past few of years. Plus he's been versed in an varied offense that values the TE, favors low risk passes & has put up big numbers by the QB despite no threats at WR.

All decent choices, however if Norm Turner were to be become available, I'd take him in a heartbeat as the OC - he's great at that, he's just not cut out to be a HC.

steelz09
11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I would have liked to see us get Cam Cameron whom I believe is now with the Ratbirds. He's not doing too bad with a first year Flacco (out of Delaware no less) and we all know what he did offensively with the Chargers.

Oviedo
11-11-2008, 08:49 AM
If, and a big IF, a decision is made to move Arians out then whoever they bring in needs to bring a philosophy and a similar offensive scheme close to what they have now. Possible exceptions is more emphasis on a power running game, but even if Arians wanted to do that this season he couldn't with FWP and Mendenhall missing huge/most of the season with injuries.

Personally I'll take any coach who increases the number of plays the TE is the primary receiver. Arians promised more of that and he has not delivered to my satisfaction. I've said for two years that ben is a better QB throwing short than he is forcing plays downfield.

stlrz d
11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
I want an OC who believes in using a FB as lead blocker.

MeetJoeGreene
11-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I, too, would have liked Cam Cameron - I was more worried about him going to Baltimore than anyone else.

How about Norv Turner after he gets fired from the Chargers. Lousy head coach. Great Offensive Coordinator.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Clements for the obvious reason - he & Ben were tight & had success.

Not to nitpick, but Clements was here until 2003. Ben arrived in 2004. However, Kordell did go to the PB with him in 2001, and Maddox in 2002.

My top three guys would be Turner, Cameron and Clements.

Jooser
11-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Ken Wisenhunt? :tt1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know, just kiddin. I don't know who to bring in, how 'bout Nick Saban. :oops:

Ozey74
11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
What about Charlie Weis once he gets canned from ND???

On second thought, that's a bad idea. The only time he was successful was when he was cheating.

:nono

Steel Life
11-11-2008, 11:28 PM
[quote="Steel Life":whjiertx]Clements for the obvious reason - he & Ben were tight & had success.

Not to nitpick, but Clements was here until 2003. Ben arrived in 2004. However, Kordell did go to the PB with him in 2001, and Maddox in 2002.

My top three guys would be Turner, Cameron and Clements.[/quote:whjiertx]
You're right :oops: ...I got him confused with Mark Whipple. But Clements does have OC experience where the others do not.

buckeyehoppy
11-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Rip Josh McDaniels away from the Pats* and have him run Brady's offense. Short and sweet and moving the ball to a # of guys.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3ojv33wn][quote="Steel Life":3ojv33wn]Clements for the obvious reason - he & Ben were tight & had success.

My top three guys would be Turner, Cameron and Clements.[/quote:3ojv33wn]
You're right :oops: ...I got him confused with Mark Whipple. But Clements does have OC experience where the others do not.[/quote:3ojv33wn]

I would have no problem with Clements. As a former CFLer the guy is a legend in Winnipeg. :lol:

I would like to see if he can bring a balance of Mike Mularkey's creativity with the common sense of knowing when not to overdo it.

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2008, 10:39 AM
[quote="Steel Life":2hrg18sn][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2hrg18sn][quote="Steel Life":2hrg18sn]Clements for the obvious reason - he & Ben were tight & had success.

My top three guys would be Turner, Cameron and Clements.[/quote:2hrg18sn]
You're right :oops: ...I got him confused with Mark Whipple. But Clements does have OC experience where the others do not.[/quote:2hrg18sn]

I would have no problem with Clements. As a former CFLer the guy is a legend in Winnipeg. :lol:

I would like to see if he can bring a balance of Mike Mularkey's creativity with the common sense of knowing when not to overdo it.[/quote:2hrg18sn]

I guess there is no change of prying Mike Mularky out of his current gig?

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
I've mentioned this guy before in threads like this, but since no one has thrown out the name in this thread yet, I might as well mention him again.

Jeremy Bates (WR/QB coach of the Denver Broncos)

Helped turn guys like Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler into NFL stars.

Has solid bloodlines (son of longtime NFL assistant coach Jim Bates)

Somewhat of a wunderkind like Tomlin (he's the primary playcaller for Denver at age 31)

Coached on the same staff as Tomlin from 02-04, so there is a connection there.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/Jul/22/being-a-coach-in-jeremy-bates-bloodline/

Oviedo
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I've mentioned this guy before in threads like this, but since no one has thrown out the name in this thread yet, I might as well mention him again.

Jeremy Bates (WR/QB coach of the Denver Broncos)

Helped turn guys like Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler into NFL stars.

Has solid bloodlines (son of longtime NFL assistant coach Jim Bates)

Somewhat of a wunderkind like Tomlin (he's the primary playcaller for Denver at age 31)

Coached on the same staff as Tomlin from 02-04, so there is a connection there.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/Jul/22/being-a-coach-in-jeremy-bates-bloodline/

Excellent factoid. You get the kudos for today finding that one. It actually sounds like something possible because of the Tomlin connection. Remember that Tomlin looked for continuity when he came in with his OC and DC. LaBeau was a no brainer, but since the OC had taken another job Arians was the logical chice.

I think this year Tomlin has more information to make an informed and non knee jerk assessment and decision unlike posters on the board. I see Tomlin possible bringing in "his" people more than he has.

stlrz d
11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
[quote="Steel Life":muu2e6d0][quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":muu2e6d0][quote="Steel Life":muu2e6d0]Clements for the obvious reason - he & Ben were tight & had success.

My top three guys would be Turner, Cameron and Clements.[/quote:muu2e6d0]
You're right :oops: ...I got him confused with Mark Whipple. But Clements does have OC experience where the others do not.[/quote:muu2e6d0]

I would like to see if he can bring a balance of Mike Mularkey's creativity with the common sense of knowing when not to overdo it.[/quote:muu2e6d0]

That was my only beef with MM.

ikestops85
11-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I say we look for Sean Payton after he gets fired from the Saints this year. He has found a way to mix the power running game with Deuce, the short passing game to Reggie and keeping the wide receivers involved with big plays. Brees has flourished under him and I think Ben might also. Just my 20 cents.

Chemsteel
11-14-2008, 03:38 PM
I want an OC who believes in using a FB as lead blocker.

That would go along with Kirby Wilson's philosophy on the special needs of a FB.

Chemsteel
11-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Depending on the events in Kansas City, the Steelers may have a keen interest in Chan Gailey.

AngryAsian
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I say we look for Sean Payton after he gets fired from the Saints this year. He has found a way to mix the power running game with Deuce, the short passing game to Reggie and keeping the wide receivers involved with big plays. Brees has flourished under him and I think Ben might also. Just my 20 cents.

If this were to happen, I would most definitely poop lo mein noodles! How explosive would this offense be if that were to happen. This guy is a genius.