PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment by Steve Young

stlrz d
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown.

Regarding Ben's second interception, which many are deeming "horrible": Sometimes the QB sees the slant is open but the receiver doesn't and stops...it happens.

Steel Life
11-11-2008, 12:28 AM
on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown.

Regarding Ben's second interception, which many are deeming "horrible": Sometimes the QB sees the slant is open but the receiver doesn't and stops...it happens.
He's right...saw it last night & Holmes was definitely responsible for that pick. And quite honestly, I thought he may have also run a bad route on the first pick too.

Djfan
11-11-2008, 02:19 AM
In a sick way, I'm glad to hear this. I just can't see Ben as this bad. They just aren't working together well at all.

Let's hope some leadership rises up and fixes that.

stlrz d
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Anytime I see a pick like that what I try to keep in mind is the QB can see the field, where defenders are, etc. The WR can't because he is looking back for the ball. His back is to the defenders so he can't always tell precisely where they are like the QB can.

proudpittsburgher
11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Anytime I see a pick like that what I try to keep in mind is the QB can see the field, where defenders are, etc. The WR can't because he is looking back for the ball. His back is to the defenders so he can't always tell precisely where they are like the QB can.

I think you are still blaming Ben for that second int. Please correcvt me if I am wrong. I get what you are saying, but Ben had to get rid of that ball. That's the rub I have, is people, not necesarily you stlrzd, are sayign that Ben has to get rid of the ball quicker . . . but when he does try and get rid of it on a hot route to Holmes, Santonio breaks the wrong way. Not a whole lot he could have done. That being said, the pick right before the half with banana bunch right and him throwing to single coverage on the backside on a third and 2 was kind of inexcusable. I can't see that as anyone's fault but Ben's.

AkronSteel
11-11-2008, 10:50 AM

I think you are still blaming Ben for that second int. Please correcvt me if I am wrong. I get what you are saying, but Ben had to get rid of that ball. That's the rub I have, is people, not necesarily you stlrzd, are sayign that Ben has to get rid of the ball quicker . . . but when he does try and get rid of it on a hot route to Holmes, Santonio breaks the wrong way. Not a whole lot he could have done. That being said, the pick right before the half with banana bunch right and him throwing to single coverage on the backside on a third and 2 was kind of inexcusable. I can't see that as anyone's fault but Ben's.

Santonio was running the right route. Ben said after the game that he didn't realize what route Santonio was suppose to run. Ben said himself that the interception was his fault. The guy is just not playing well right now. He seems a little gun-shy and is rushing things in his mind.

Ghost
11-11-2008, 10:54 AM
It was NOT Holmes fault.

Straight from Ben after the game -
Q: Was there miscommunication on the second pick?

BR: "It was just a mistake on my part. I thought he was going to keep coming and he did what he was supposed to do. He was supposed to stop and go back out, and I tried to get it to him quick and forgot he was going back out."

stlrz d
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Actually I wasn't pinning blame on one over the other.

Ben took the blame, but he also praises his O line after he's been beaten, sacked and harassed all game.

I still think it was a combination of Ben and Holmes...neither is fully responsible, imo.

Jooser
11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
So, is Holmes partially responsible for the other 10 INTs this season? Just sayin...

stlrz d
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
So, is Holmes partially responsible for the other 10 INTs this season? Just sayin...

Yup...especially the hail mary. Squarely on Holmes' shoulders. ;)

Oh yeah, all the tipped passes that were intercepted too...especially the one Starks didn't knock down. Effing Holmes should have been there to grab it!

Just sayin'. :P

Steel Life
11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
[quote="stlrz d":17dg1n9r]Anytime I see a pick like that what I try to keep in mind is the QB can see the field, where defenders are, etc. The WR can't because he is looking back for the ball. His back is to the defenders so he can't always tell precisely where they are like the QB can.

Ben took the blame, but he also praises his O line after he's been beaten, sacked and harassed all game.

I still think it was a combination of Ben and Holmes...neither is fully responsible, imo.[/quote:17dg1n9r]
Notice you don't hear Santonio stepping up & saying anything or taking any responsibility. This is what Ben does...he credits the line even when they stink, he covers for the WRs when they have bad games & never says squat about the play-calling or game-plan. Did he have some bad throws - yes, but did he alone lose the game - no. Other players need to take page from Ben & step up, show some leadership by showing accountability.

proudpittsburgher
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
[quote=proudpittsburgher][quote="stlrz d":2e05gusx]Anytime I see a pick like that what I try to keep in mind is the QB can see the field, where defenders are, etc. The WR can't because he is looking back for the ball. His back is to the defenders so he can't always tell precisely where they are like the QB can.

I still think it was a combination of Ben and Holmes...neither is fully responsible, imo.[/quote:2e05gusx]
Notice you don't hear Santonio stepping up & saying anything or taking any responsibility. This is what Ben does...he credits the line even when they stink, he covers for the WRs when they have bad games & never says squat about the play-calling or game-plan. Did he have some bad throws - yes, but did he alone lose the game - no. Other players need to take page from Ben & step up, show some leadership by showing accountability.[/quote:2e05gusx]

Agreed completely. We shouldn't be slighting Ben for oviously fabricating the truth when he sings the praises of his o-line even though they stink. It shows character, as does his taking this loss solely on his shoulders, even though it wasn't all on him. Somehow, some people take his high character and hold it against him. I want to shake said people until stuff oozes out of their ears.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
IMO, when Ben misses so much practice, it's bound to wind up with problems just like this. Hopefully this will get better as the injuries get resolved.

Steeler Mafia
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM
IMO, when Ben misses so much practice, it's bound to wind up with problems just like this. Hopefully this will get better as the injuries get resolved.

"C'mon! We're talking about Practice. Not a Game. Practice."

:lol: :lol: