PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rescinds Randy Moss Fine

Iron Shiek
11-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Hmmm...now they take back this cheater's fine. What about some other guys that questioned officials (Porter). Moss saying "iffy" and Porter saying the ref might have other reasons for calling some penalties is essentially the same thing to me. They are both questioning the integrity and execution of the referees. Both should be fined. Further cheater coddling. I expect to hear from Mr. Porter about this in the media this week sometime. :)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/10/nfl-rescinds-randy-moss-fine/

NFL RESCINDS RANDY MOSS FINE
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2008, 2:47 p.m. EST
When New England Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss noted that there had been some “iffy” officiating, the NFL slapped him with a fine of $20,000 — more than other players have gotten for assorted cheap shots.

But in a good showing of common sense, the NFL has decided that fine went too far.

Patriots.com reports that the NFL is rescinding the fine, which was the result of Moss telling reporters after the Patriots lost to the Colts, “There were some real iffy calls out there.”

Per the team’s official web site, a Patriots source says NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson reversed the fine.

The news of the league’s decision to rescind Moss’s fine comes three days after the decision to rescind Giants defensive end Justin Tuck’s fine for what looked like a clean hit on Cowboys quarterback Brooks Bollinger. It’s not clear exactly what made the NFL change its mind in these cases, but it is good to know that when fines go overboard, the league is willing to reconsider them.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Are you referring to Harrison getting fined for talking about the refs possibly having money on games? I don't recall reading anything about Porter specifically questioning the refs this year (although he has been having verbal jousts with Brandon Marshall and Matt Jones recently).

Iron Shiek
11-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Are you referring to Harrison getting fined for talking about the refs possibly having money on games? I don't recall reading anything about Porter specifically questioning the refs this year (although he has been having verbal jousts with Brandon Marshall and Matt Jones recently).

Below is the article about Porter getting fined, and he didn't even say anything that bad. But I mixed Porter and Harrison's comments up. Still crap...

From 10/17/2008
http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/730633.html

Miami Dolphins' Porter fined $20,000 for criticizing officials
If Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter initially felt robbed by the referees in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Houston Texans, the fine being issued by the NFL certainly won't feel much better.

Porter was hit with a $20,000 fine for inappropriate comments on officiating, the league announced Friday. According to the NFL, criticism that unfairly attacks the integrity of the officiating is prohibited.

After Sunday's loss, Porter said he thought the officiating crew made a mistake by ruling an incomplete pass with just over a minute left in the game that should have been ruled a sack and a fumble.

''I stripped that ball,'' Porter said after the game. ``I'm looking for an apology or something Tuesday or Wednesday. But it will be too late by then. The game's over. That point in time, I know for sure I had both his arms when the ball came out. I mean, it wasn't by accident.''

On Wednesday, Porter said he could tell why referees called it an incomplete pass, but he didn't understand why the play wasn't at least reviewed.

Ghost
11-10-2008, 05:46 PM
The news of the league’s decision to rescind Moss’s fine comes three days after the decision to rescind Giants defensive end Justin Tuck’s fine for what looked like a clean hit on Cowboys quarterback Brooks Bollinger. It’s not clear exactly what made the NFL change its mind in these cases, but it is good to know that when fines go overboard, the league is willing to reconsider them.

Its a damn joke to think the NFL did this on their own. They were getting hammered on every national media outlet from SI.com to the game day folks on ESPN and all the national radio/talk shows. Every player who mentioned the Tuck hit said it was a f'n disgrace to fine a player for that. The NFL looked like a bunch of boobs for not only fining him, but reviewing it and initially keeping the fine. They got shamed into taking it back.

It's sad it got to that point. Let them play football.