PDA

View Full Version : Lolly's Post Game Thoughts

costanza2k1
11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Monday, November 10, 2008
Indianapolis post-game thoughts
Two shots from the 1 and no touchdown against one of the league's worst run defenses.

It was almost like the Colts knew what was coming.

Oh, that's right, they did. The Steelers ran the same play they did to score two touchdowns in the first half.

Bruce Arians is taking a lot of heat for his play calling and in previous games it was deserved.

But there was nothing wrong with Sunday's game plan, which called for plenty of short passes and running.

It would have worked if the quarterback hadn't gotten greedy and tried to force a couple of passes.

Uh oh, I'm criticizing Ben Roethlisberger. Let the name-calling begin.

That's one touchdown and eight interceptions by Roethlisberger in his past 10 quarters of football.

I know the guy has won a lot here including a Super Bowl but he's not playing well right now. There's no sugar-coating it.

And don't give me the, "He has no time to pass," argument. The Colts only had two sacks Sunday on 44 dropbacks. The pass blocking wasn't the problem.

Willie Parker's got a torn labrum. That'd be a problem if he were a pitcher or quarterback. But they'll have to put a harness on him and he's going to have to play through it.

They could have used him Sunday.

Could have used Heath Miller, too, particularly down by the goal line.

One of the best ways to attack a Cover-2 is to use the tight end down the middle. Matt Spaeth had some nice grabs Sunday, but he gets nothing after the catch.

The Steelers may be forced to rush Bryant McFadden back this week with Deshea Townsend going down with a hamstring injury.

Mike Tomlin said LaMarr Woodley, being a young guy, needs to practice to play.

He would have been a help Sunday, but I don't know that he would have made a difference coming from Peyton Manning's front side.

The Steelers gave Manning fits with their pressure Sunday, forcing him to throw on the move, something he does not do well. But that's about the only thing he doesn't do well.

In the long run, giving Woodley the week off will help. He should be back next week against San Diego, a game that is now a must-win contest.

Glad to see the Steelers finally found themselves a kick returner.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:47 AM

Oviedo
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
All good points. Ben is the problem right now. As correctly pointed out when he takes what the defense gives him he is great. When he forces it he isn't. That is life with Ben and just shows he has to mature more as a QB for this team to be successful.

Woodley was missed more than Lolley indicates although I thought Timmons played a great game. The guy is like a another SS when he is back in coverage. He can really run.

You can't miss your top two RBs and not expect it to catch up with you eventually. It did against the Colts. We are really missing Mendenhall.

Tell me again why we have Dallas Baker and not Willie Reid who would have helped us both receiving and returning. :? Baker isn't even average and shows we need to resign Washington or draft another WR in the first 4 rounds next year.

costanza2k1
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I think it maybe time to put in Sweed more in place of Baker. What's the worst that could happen? He could let it hit his hands and drop it...big deal he has more upside than Baker.

RKSteel
11-10-2008, 12:01 PM
:Agree about Spath, guy drops on first contact. You know Miller would have gotten one or two first downs on those catches.

If Russells going to be the KR, maybe he'll get some carries during the game, maybe even pick up a yard or two at the goal line.

I didn't know it was Dallas Baker that drop the pass, could have sworn Ike was in at WR. :lol:

Oviedo
11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
:Agree about Spath, guy drops on first contact. You know Miller would have gotten one or two first downs on those catches.

If Russells going to be the KR, maybe he'll get some carries during the game, maybe even pick up a yard or two at the goal line.

I didn't know it was Dallas Baker that drop the pass, could have sworn Ike was in at WR. :lol:

I have no problem with Spaeth not getting yards after the catch because most of his receptions were hooks where he got his big body between the defender and the ball. Even though he didn't break it for big gains he was money for 6-8 yeards every reception. I'll take that over throwing the ball to Baker.

RKSteel
11-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I have no problem with Spaeth not getting yards after the catch because most of his receptions were hooks where he got his big body between the defender and the ball. Even though he didn't break it for big gains he was money for 6-8 yeards every reception. I'll take that over throwing the ball to Baker.
It was good to see Spath making some catches, I'll definately take a 6-8 yd gain, I was just surprised for a big guy, he couldn't break some tackles.

Iron Shiek
11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
It was good to see Spath making some catches, I'll definately take a 6-8 yd gain, I was just surprised for a big guy, he couldn't break some tackles.

Yeah he's just sayin the routes he was running didn't really lend to breaking tackles. He's catching the ball with his back to the defense. I'd imagine if they give him some catches on the run, the safety will be bracing for a major collision...good luck with that safety.

ramblinjim
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Ovie: All good points. Ben is the problem right now. As correctly pointed out when he takes what the defense gives him he is great. When he forces it he isn't. That is life with Ben and just shows he has to mature more as a QB for this team to be successful.

I think this is right on point. I love Big Ben as our Quarterback but he needs it reamed after those two interceptions. Just not forgivable in a game you need to win.