PDA

View Full Version : Ben (Game manager)

sd steel
11-09-2008, 11:08 PM
This thread is to address that now we need a game manager. Every Steeler fan I know hated to hear the words "game manager" and "Big Ben" in the same sentence. Well I for one liked the fact that ben did not make the costly mistakes that Stewart and Tomczak and even Maddox made. Our defenses have always kept us in games, but we would win inspite of our QB's. Ben was successful when he wasn't doing too much, and wasn't turning the ball over.

Well Ben needs to get back to basics and protect the damn ball. Ben had time, and he is still moving around too much, and still forcing passes. Yes our oline and running game are weaker than years passed, but we could have won todays game if Ben protects the ball.

Also his time management of the clock was horrible at the end of the game, and that was on him.

Chadman
11-09-2008, 11:38 PM
but we would win inspite of our QB's

Not to be picky, but given that we are all acting like OJ Simpson just married into our families, Chadman feels that he can deflect a little aggression by pointing out that...

the Steelers defence didn't ACTUALLY win games to spite the QB- they did it DESPITE the QB's...there is a difference... :o

Go on- see it as funny... :tt1

Chadman
11-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Can just see it now- James Farrior sees Kordell or Maddox & says "screw you Maddox, we are going to win just to rub your nose in it!"

And Maddox replies "not if I can help it..."

sd steel
11-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Can just see it now- James Farrior sees Kordell or Maddox & says "screw you Maddox, we are going to win just to rub your nose in it!"

And Maddox replies "not if I can help it..."

I made a grammatical error and I apologize, but I think you get the point. The QB's put us in bad positions, but we won anyways.

papillon
11-10-2008, 12:12 AM
This thread is to address that now we need a game manager. Every Steeler fan I know hated to hear the words "game manager" and "Big Ben" in the same sentence. Well I for one liked the fact that ben did not make the costly mistakes that Stewart and Tomczak and even Maddox made. Our defenses have always kept us in games, but we would win inspite of our QB's. Ben was successful when he wasn't doing too much, and wasn't turning the ball over.

Well Ben needs to get back to basics and protect the damn ball. Ben had time, and he is still moving around too much, and still forcing passes. Yes our oline and running game are weaker than years passed, but we could have won todays game if Ben protects the ball.

Also his time management of the clock was horrible at the end of the game, and that was on him.

I never hated it, because, it described Ben. Ben made more big plays "managing" the game than he does now with full control of the offense. Why? Because, there are times where he puts himself into situations that require miraculous and not just good.

When Cowher played conservatively with Ben it seemed like every pass he threw was a back breaker to the defense. If I were a DC playing against Ben, I'd cover 2 him all night and assume that he'll get antsy and make a mistake or two. It's almost a guarantee that he'll make a mistake if you make be patient.

Pappy

Jom112
11-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Whether Ben is a "game manager", "gun slinger" or whatever, I think is irrelevant.

What I think is important though is that since 2005, the run:pass ratio is more and more favoring the pass. Your O-Line is built to run block not pass block. The games might be closer and might be uglier but I think you guys would win more if you started running more. That is not a slight on Ben.

The injuries to Willie Parker and Mendy probably limit the running game a bit, but if you held on to Davenport, a Moore/Davenport backfield would be able to handle the load, IMHO...

Djfan
11-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Not having a two back set caused some of those injuries, IMO. It also cuts into the run threat in general, when a back like FWP is the featured guy.

Right now, our line is built for the arena league, if you ask me.

Jom, promise us you will stay this level headed if your bungles start winning. I like your contributions.

buckeyehoppy
11-10-2008, 01:34 AM
What I think is important though is that since 2005, the run:pass ratio is more and more favoring the pass. Your O-Line is built to run block not pass block. The games might be closer and might be uglier but I think you guys would win more if you started running more. That is not a slight on Ben.

Bingo...and that's why I have largely absolved the play of Kemo, Darnell and Hartwig. The biggest issue the Steelers have in the coming off-season is who will be the starting tackles next season. I'll bet anyone that it won't be Marvel and Willie. Perhaps one, or the other, but not both and it could very well be neither.

The injuries to Willie Parker and Mendy probably limit the running game a bit, but if you held on to Davenport, a Moore/Davenport backfield would be able to handle the load, IMHO...

There's nothing that can be done with Mendy and FWP. Their injuries just point up how important a pick-up MM was. If it wasn't for MM, the Steelers would have virtually no running game. Chumptruck was almost no use to the Steelers O and was a waste of space. He runs like he has a lightning rod shoved up his @$$. Therefore, Chumptruck wasn't going to contribute much to the Steelers...unless there was an electrical storm nearby. :shock:

Mel Blount's G
11-10-2008, 02:43 AM
A) Mel's Glistening is also bad worded toward ben right now. I feel it was two bad worded mistakes by Ben (along with Ike's bad worded, stone handed, catch-the-ball attempt) that directly resulted in the good team losing tonight.

B) Bruce Arians sucks a donkey's bad word despite Ben's mistakes. 3rd and goal from the 5 and he seemed as predictable as possible. And other things...

C) FWP is SORELY missed.

Yes, I've seen the stats, I've seen the games. Mewelde Moore just doesn't run as HARD as FWP. Hard, non-behind he l.o.s. yards. And yeah, I've seen the "stats". The FWP haters would have us believe he doesn't make a difference. Mel's calls B.S. I also don't see Davenpoop as making one iota of difference.

D) Ben wants to be one of the greatest ever. Good for him. However...

He needs to woodshed it, in the off season, preferably w/ holmes and sweed (our young, up and coming, playmaking wr's). Like "the elite" do. Manning(s) and Brady. I've criticized his accuracy since his beginning and it's still is an issue. We/I love Ben for the scramble-take a hit-escape the sack completion. But his stand in the pocket and deliver a ball to-a-specific-body part passes, ala other elite qb's, leave much to be desired imo. Not to mention his long ball. He's got the god-given talent. He's got the will to win. Just put in the work to hone it closer to perfection (see Michael Jordan for an example)

Of course and naturally our o-line weakness damn well better be SERIOUSLY addressed this off season. And by damn well and serious I don't mean resigning Sean Mahwelcome matt or a reasonable facsimile.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2008, 10:17 AM
I have always liked the term "game manager" and have said that it applies to some of the greats as well.

Take Brady. How many times do you see him hit the underneath guy open for 10-15 yards when another guy is breaking deep but with a man on him? Many of the best have been game managers.