View Full Version : To sum it up

Jigawatts
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Ike has stone hands.

Colts got the bounces.

Ben is not elite.

Our running game sucks.

Colts made plays when they had to.

Steelers did not make plays when they had to.

Holmes is thinking about his next joint.

Gary Russell returning kicks. :wft

1st down = run = no gain = second and 10 or more.

Max Starks cost us a huge 10 yards.

Dallas Baker the touchdown maker? Should have kept Reid.

Ozey74
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If Ike Taylor bounces Mannings first TD pass to the ground and we end up winning, were all happy. This is nothing more than a bad loss. We get em' next week.

:HeadBanger

Jigawatts
11-09-2008, 10:10 PM
It's one of those that we should have won. Just like the Giants game. I think I'd rather
see a blow out than watch my team lose a game that they should have won. If the game
is in the grasp, they have to do the thinkg to take it. Doing just enough to lose is
unacceptable.

papillon
11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Ike has stone hands.

He may have stone hands, but, he was in good position all game long. I can live with the unfortunate bounce that cost the Steelers a TD as long as he can keep covering like he did tonight. He made some outstanding plays that no one is talking about.

Colts got the bounces.

Nothing you can do about that; can't expect that every week if youre playing the Steelers. It was just in the cards for the Colts today. Eh..

Ben is not elite.

I'm not sure that he isn't, he's having a bad stretch. He had moments of brilliance again and, unfortunately, he had moments of ineptitude. Isn't this what we always say about Ben?

Our running game sucks.

Difficult to argue this point. I will say this, a fullback could change that, IMHO.

Colts made plays when they had to.

Steelers did not make plays when they had to.

Holmes is thinking about his next joint.

Yea, he seemed to disappear today, but, on a positive note, Ward was very good today, except for one drop. Washington continues to be an enigma, he'll make plays and then disappear. I don't know if that's his inconsistent route running or Ben just not finding him. It would take tape review to determine that and that isn't happening.

Gary Russell returning kicks. :wft

1st down = run = no gain = second and 10 or more.

Max Starks cost us a huge 10 yards.

Too many other screw ups all game long to give Max a hard time. He did a decent job against one of the premier pass rushers in the league; yea, he got beat some, but, he also worked his tail off to keep Freeney off of Ben. The stunt he ran late in the game looping all the way around from RDe to the left side just in time to tackle Ben as he tried running out of the pocket was a sick play.

Dallas Baker the touchdown maker? Should have kept Reid.

What were you expecting from a guy who rarely sees the field?

Pappy

Jooser
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, I guess I'm through ranting about Ben tonight. All I can say now that I've settled down is this. This team is missing that killer instinct that Cowher's teams usually had. Once those teams had you down by 10 points, you could usually chalk up a win for the Steelers. Instead, this current team seems to find ways to shoot themselves in the foot, aka Giants and Colts. We've got more weak links than we think, but overall I think the D was sufficient to win. I can't blame them for one of the TDs, though Deshea's holding call was a killer on that short drive at the end of the half. We didn't look that same without Woodley. He's definitely one we need to go every week. Oh, well, maybe we'll bounce back against the Chargers next week.

:Blah :Blah :Blah :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I think I'd rather see a blow out than watch my team lose a game that they should have won.

I disagree here Jig. After every loss this year I have said "We lost this game, but I do not fear facing this team again. If we get blown out then there would be nothing positive to take into a possible rematch.

blacknblue80s
11-10-2008, 12:48 AM
One more observation: We missed Woodley almost as much as we missed Aaron Smith last year. Peyton was way too relaxed back there.

kennyes
11-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Yep, Woodley on defense and Big Money on offense.

buckeyehoppy
11-10-2008, 01:38 AM
One more observation: We missed Woodley almost as much as we missed Aaron Smith last year. Peyton was way too relaxed back there.

Peyton had all day to do what was needed. When you have a QB of his caliber, you don't let him get away with mistakes...and he got away with at least a handful all day when the Steelers D couldn't come up with the ball.

AngryAsian
11-10-2008, 04:30 AM
Our pass rush was very poor, and very uncharacteristic of what we've produced out there in recent games. We'll shake off this loss, but there are some things on this team that we can't shake off as quick. I think the plays we engineer from the git have been very poor in design, so thus execution will lead to poor yardage yields and/or injuries of players. I think Ben tries to do too much with the limited plays he's given. No consistency is what his legacy keeps yielding. They keep making Eli and Ben comparisons.... Ben keeps going up and down in performance and decision making capabilities while Eli keeps the assent slow, steady with upward mobility. I think we are exactly like the Giants.... with the exception that the G-men have great offensive play calling and a QB who doesn't try to do it all.

Oviedo
11-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Observations:

1. The Colts got a couple lucky bounces. That made all the difference.
2. Troy missed a sure Interception that he likely would have returned for a TD.
3. Ben just isn't Ben.
4. We really miss Mendenhall. You can't not have BOTH Mendenhall and FWP out and still expect an elite running game.

Good things:

1. Short passing game works. Ben is better than holding the ball.
2. Manning really did nothing except for the lucky bounces
3. We are still 6-3, about where most of us thought we would be about now. 10-6 or 11-5 are a real likelihood.

stlrz d
11-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Observations:

1. The Colts got a couple lucky bounces. That made all the difference.
2. Troy missed a sure Interception that he likely would have returned for a TD.
3. Ben just isn't Ben.
4. We really miss Mendenhall. You can't not have BOTH Mendenhall and FWP out and still expect an elite running game.

Good things:

1. Short passing game works. Ben is better than holding the ball.
2. Manning really did nothing except for the lucky bounces
3. We are still 6-3, about where most of us thought we would be about now. 10-6 or 11-5 are a real likelihood.

This!!!

MeetJoeGreene
11-10-2008, 09:06 AM
All three of their TDs were gifts. Ike tried to catch an INT instead of batting it. The other 2 were short, short fields based on INTs thrown by Ben.

This was a game we should have, should have, should have won.

I am still in shock.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Our pass rush was very poor, and very uncharacteristic of what we've produced out there in recent games. We'll shake off this loss, but there are some things on this team that we can't shake off as quick. I think the plays we engineer from the git have been very poor in design, so thus execution will lead to poor yardage yields and/or injuries of players. I think Ben tries to do too much with the limited plays he's given. No consistency is what his legacy keeps yielding. They keep making Eli and Ben comparisons.... Ben keeps going up and down in performance and decision making capabilities while Eli keeps the assent slow, steady with upward mobility. I think we are exactly like the Giants.... with the exception that the G-men have great offensive play calling and a QB who doesn't try to do it all.

Great points all, I would just add that watching the Giants it looks like Eli has a 10 yard force field around him all the time. His O-line seems completely awesome, whereas ours can barely be called that.

Ben's force field is about 6 inches shorter than the average wingspan of a D lineman or safety.

Ghost
11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I’m going to have to disagree on the “should have won”.

On Offense -

Ben threw two horrendous int’s. Just ridiculous. And he shouldn’t have been throwing on the first one. Run it and punt if you have to.

No running game.

1st and goal on the 4 or 5 and the Colts D stepped it up. That was huge by them to keep it to a FG that late in the game.

The last drive the colts D again played it perfectly.

Defense –

Dropped and tipped balls.

This is not a rip on the D as they’ve pulled the team’s bacon out of the fire all season – but last night they needed to hold the Colts to FG’s after the turnovers and couldn’t do it. And not sure why they stopped coming but Manning had insane amounts of time back there.

The colts had a couple of nice, long drives including the winning TD drive.

Coaching

3rd in 2 before the half – why are they throwing down field.
How can you not have 1 play in the entire playbook that you feel confident is a guaranteed 2 yards.
Why is Dallas Baker in the game on the last drive when he’s not played the entire season (was someone hurt?)
Why did they not blitz more?

Honestly – I think the Colts out played the Steelers. I think the Steelers could beat them if they played again but last night the better team, at least for the night, won the game.

Iron Shiek
11-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I've calmed down a bit. Couldn't bring myself to post yesterday.

However I will say our team will not go anywhere with the injuries we have. They simply have to get healthy. Its a $hitty excuse, but you just can't get any consistency with 2nd and 3rd stringers in there.

With that aside, look at the Giants and Titans. Best teams in the league. Why? Great, no, elite Offensive and Defensive Lines. That is what a team is based on. So as we all know, we need work there, that is nothing new.

Ben is in a funk. He really needs to snap out of it soon. But what have we complained about? He holds the ball too long. Now he is making ill-advised throws. He is not the big money qb the steelers paid for (at this point in the season). He needs to start earning his money.

See where I am going here yet? A team will never win with several key injuries, horrible OL or DL or both and inconsistent qb play. Somehow we are still 6-3, on top of the division. 2 of the 3 things I mentioned are basically things that can be remedied by playoff time (hopefully we are still on a trajectory to make it in though). The OL issue won't go away, but Ben can get better and players should start getting healthy. I firmly believe those two things can overcome the bad OL. So I am still holding out hope for a nice turnaround.

(Disclaimer: You throw in some bad bounces and stupid snap over punter's head and we'd likely be in a totally different spot right now. So the Luck factor can be a 4th driver that is not in our favor this year as well, but that can go either way from game to game).

Regroup, lick your wounds, and get ready for the task at hand :Steel ...Chargers.

Jigawatts
11-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I think I'd rather see a blow out than watch my team lose a game that they should have won.

I disagree here Jig. After every loss this year I have said "We lost this game, but I do not fear facing this team again. If we get blown out then there would be nothing positive to take into a possible rematch.

I'm a little calmer today. That was just the anger talking. I just hate to see us lose
those games that are very winnable.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-10-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm a little calmer today. That was just the anger talking. I just hate to see us lose
those games that are very winnable.

I hear ya brother.

Ozey74
11-10-2008, 07:50 PM
This was a tuff loss!! I've had to take quite a beating today from the quasi "Colt fans" that I live near. It's just been a bad day! If funny how fast things change. We were all thrilled with our Steelers just last Tuesday after our win at Washington.

I suppose it's time to stop sulking and get psyched up for the Chargers game.

:tt2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-11-2008, 10:25 AM
However I will say our team will not go anywhere with the injuries we have. They simply have to get healthy. Its a $hitty excuse, but you just can't get any consistency with 2nd and 3rd stringers in there.

Agreed here. I don't use injuries as an excuse, but I do use them to help explain why we should progress.

- This is a better team with FWP and Moore than Moore and Russell.

- This is a better team with Woodley on the edge.

- This is a better team when BMac plays.

- This is a better team with Heath Miller.

- This is a better team with Marvel Smith.

Hopefully all of these factors which make us a better team will be in place soon, and that makes us a lot more dangerous heading into the playoffs.

Iron Shiek
11-11-2008, 10:31 AM
[quote="Iron Shiek":jqo069zm]However I will say our team will not go anywhere with the injuries we have. They simply have to get healthy. Its a $hitty excuse, but you just can't get any consistency with 2nd and 3rd stringers in there.

Agreed here. I don't use injuries as an excuse, but I do use them to help explain why we should progress.

- This is a better team with FWP and Moore than Moore and Russell.

- This is a better team with Woodley on the edge.

- This is a better team when BMac plays.

- This is a better team with Heath Miller.

- This is a better team with Marvel Smith.

Hopefully all of these factors which make us a better team will be in place soon, and that makes us a lot more dangerous heading into the playoffs.[/quote:jqo069zm]

Excellent points t.o. It sucks because I've been waiting for what you said in that last sentence to happen for about three weeks...and instead we get more guys injured! :?