PDA

View Full Version : Russell not bad KR...

Jooser
11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't think he was too bad tonight. He was definitely a step up over Dookie. He almost broke one before he pulled a Zeroue and tripped on the grass. :lol:

Maybe this kid needs some carries. He reminds me alot of Barry Foster in his running style and deceptive speed.

Jigawatts
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I don't understand the coaches thinking here. First dookie, now Russell. Although he's
an improvement over Najeh, we still have just about zero chance of returning a kick off.

Why not put Ike back there? Once he initially drops the ball, I think after he picks it up,
he's got the speed and moves to have a chance at returning one.

All I'm saying is we need someone back there who can get us past the 30 yard line on a
return, maybe even take one all the way.

costanza2k1
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
If we want to put something big back there, we should just put in Snack I'm sure he could roll to the 20 and then take out a few of their players too. Just put a picture of a Big Mac on the back of his blockers jersey or something....

Shawn
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm kinda surprise Nate Washington hasn't been used.

Jooser
11-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, good point Shawn. He's definitely got the speed.

AngryAsian
11-10-2008, 04:44 AM
I guess they're concerned about his hands. :lol:

Mel Blount's G
11-10-2008, 04:53 AM
As I've said before, I gave up hope years ago. If we don't fumble, and we get to the 20 or beyond ===> a successful steeler "special" teams return

Intro psych textbooks refer to this as Learned Helplessness :P :oops:

rpmpit
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't understand the coaches thinking here. First dookie, now Russell. Although he's
an improvement over Najeh, we still have just about zero chance of returning a kick off.

Why not put Ike back there? Once he initially drops the ball, I think after he picks it up,
he's got the speed and moves to have a chance at returning one.

All I'm saying is we need someone back there who can get us past the 30 yard line on a
return, maybe even take one all the way.

That would actually be really funny if it wasn't so true. Why can't this guy friggin' catch the ball??? :evil:

Oviedo
11-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Russell did well but he is unlikely to break a big gain. This is why we should have kept Willie Reid. Baker is a wasted roster spot as we saw yesterday. Reid would be helping this team much more right now than Baker.

blacknblue80s
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
IMO, Russel looked prety damn good. He almost broke a couple last night, imagine what he can do with some more experience. He seems to catch the ball running.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-10-2008, 12:49 PM
As I've said before, I gave up hope years ago. If we don't fumble, and we get to the 20 or beyond ===> a successful steeler "special" teams return

Intro psych textbooks refer to this as Learned Helplessness :P :oops:

Right with ya, MBG. Compared to a few years ago, this is heaven. I think I've even stopped holding my breath on every return we make.

Shawn
11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Russell has a couple things in his favor when returning kicks. He has terrific vision and patience. I truely believe that. He is also a tough guy to bring down one on one. If we can get some blocks set up...I can see him finding a crease, breaking a tackle and running off a long one.

This problem is multifactoral and I will have you look no further than Chicago. When STs believe in their return guy...they block better. We need a guy that can spark the STs to play better.

blacknblue80s
11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Russell has a couple things in his favor when returning kicks. He has terrific vision and patience. I truely believe that. He is also a tough guy to bring down one on one. If we can get some blocks set up...I can see him finding a crease, breaking a tackle and running off a long one.

This problem is multifactoral and I will have you look no further than Chicago. When STs believe in their return guy...they block better. We need a guy that can spark the STs to play better.

I concur, he has some serious potential.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Okay, I have found the solution to the kickoff and punt return game. In both cases, put Hines Ward and Ike Taylor deep together. Hines catches the ball since Hines has the surest hands on the teams and Ike...well...umm...doesn't. Then Hines hands the ball to Ike, who is right behind him, and then Hines proceeds to break the jaw of the first guy running down in coverage with a crushing block. Ike then runs free to paydirt. Sure, the fines for those blocks might pile up, but its well worth it in my opinion. Ta da!!! :lol:

ramblinjim
11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Okay, I have found the solution to the kickoff and punt return game. In both cases, put Hines Ward and Ike Taylor deep together. Hines catches the ball since Hines has the surest hands on the teams and Ike...well...umm...doesn't. Then Hines hands the ball to Ike, who is right behind him, and then Hines proceeds to break the jaw of the first guy running down in coverage with a crushing block. Ike then runs free to paydirt. Sure, the fines for those blocks might pile up, but its well worth it in my opinion. Ta da!!! :lol:

Problem solved! :tt2

I'm with MBG, I've finally gotten to the point where I don't just look at a kickoff or punt from the other team with dread. There was a time when I wanted our kickoff team to just kick it out of bounds and put them at the 40.

Jigawatts
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM

That's actually a good idea. :shock:

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2008, 04:05 PM

I'm good for about one of those per year. See y'all in 2009! :lol:

Iron Shiek
11-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Whatever it takes to win! I'm sure Hines would be down with that plan...at least the part about him blocking on ST anyway.